Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Coming up on 35,000 miles and I thought it might be time to change the air filter. Shocker! This thing is enormous. It's cylinder 12" x 7". And it was $57 (at the dealership).

I'm persnicketty so I went ahead and bought it. But judging by the size you probably don't have to change it for 100,000 or more miles. Crazy.

I should add that regardless of what the snake oil salesmen at oil change places tell you, air filters won't ever noticeably affect your fuel mileage. Unless it's literally packed with mud, any restriction that the filter causes will just make the ECU pull out fuel to keep the mixture correct. A clogged filter will affect max power, but it won't affect mileage.

Yeah yeah, pumping losses will affect mileage. But not in any measurable way within reason. I'll put the new one in, and keep the old one and put it back in at 200k, and that will be that.

·
Registered
338 Posts
That filter is huge! I have never had a gas powered vehicle with a filter that large. I wonder why it is so large? Maybe the thinking is larger filter/media longer change intervals?

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That filter is huge! I have never had a gas powered vehicle with a filter that large. I wonder why it is so large? Maybe the thinking is larger filter/media longer change intervals?
That's exactly what they were thinking. And yes, it looks for all the world like the filters I used to use on International box trucks.

On a whim, I looked up the filter for a Pentastar equipped minivan. That turns out to be totally different than this PM filter; the T&C filter is a flat panel affair about 1/10 the size. Dunno if what the PM has is adapted from the Ducato, or if it's specific to the US version. Either way, it looks like it could go 100,000 no sweat.

·
Registered
166 Posts
From the photo it seems like the ones for the Ducato 2.3 l (F1A) and 3.0 l (F1C), all diesel since here in Europe there is no gasoline Ducato (or Citroen Jumer / Peugeot Boxer), only diesel or CNG (next year should arrive a dual mode diesel and electric).

Prices for the air filter (spare parts shops) are around Euro 15 - 20 for a low cost one, Euro 20 - 35 for one equivalent to OEM (for example Bosch) or OEM, and up o Euro 45 - 70 for one that some call "sport", superior quality than OEM and long life and/or washable, like K&N Filters.

Cabin air filter cost around Euro 18 - 25.

To note that these are italian prices and include 22% taxes.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I am looking for my air filter and cannot find it.
2014 136wb gasser..
Can anyone point to it? And do i need tools to take it out?
Will the dash display tell me when to swap it out?, if not, when do you think we should change them.
Thanks

·
Registered
810 Posts
Well i found the huge housing.
Do i just undo the 4 screws around the rim? Guess i need a short ass screwdriver and hope to not drop on with my butterfingers

·
Registered
227 Posts
I buy a Baldwin replacement filter from WW Grainger p/n 34NN15 about $19

1 - 8 of 8 Posts