Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can deal with a leaking radiator, squealing brakes, a sliding door that intermittently won't open from the outside, but a "check engine" warning at 40,000 km (25K miles), really?

Drove it to the nearest Dodge dealer in the Dalles. They won't be able to check it out until Thursday. Meanwhile, I can drive it as long as the "check engine" is not flashing. By the way, I've got the gasser.

Maybe it's just a little issue, but the fact is that I never had problems with my previous mini-vans, or at least while they were under warranty. That's the reason why I always buy my cars new. Just want peace of mind for a few years.

Really upsetting, this PM.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
I bought a $60 ($80-C) code reader a couple of years ago and it has been a great purchase. Takes some of the mystery out of such things. Often it is some anomaly that can just be reset. In warrantee you would want to leave it of course. I haven't bought a car with much less than 100,000 miles (161,000km) for years, it's surprising how few codes I have gotten.

Reactions: GuyT

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Let us know what the code turns out to be. I bought a $15 wi-fi OBD dongle, and a $9 piece of software to read codes and use as an auxillary gauge. Short of that, any parts store will run out to the parking lot and read the code for you.

I'm going to take a wild guess that with no other symptoms mentioned, you'll find it has something to do with the fuel tank, gas cap, or some such. I would also add that if you changed your oil recently, the filter has that nipple in it that apparently tells you when it's not tightened down enough. I've never been willing to spew oil everywhere to test if this is true.

Reactions: GuyT

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you'll find it has something to do with the fuel tank, gas cap, or some such.
You are probably right on that one, as the "check engine" light decided to stay quite this morning. I may have panicked on this one a bit to fast. :|

Might even call the service department to see if it's worth showing.

I'll sign with the new nick name my wife just gave me.

Guypolar

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I'm not factory level knowledgeable on how all this works, but basically there's 3 levels of check engine light. Pending, current, and history. I believe the light will remain lit until the code clears itself out of history. So it's actually got no problems, just a record of one in the past. To make it even more complicated, the computer can only run certain tests under certain conditions, and thus can only clear the light after the conditions are met for the test to be run. By example: 96 Buick roadmaster had an evap code because of various vacuum leaks and so forth. Where I live, we have bi-annual emissions testing and the car won't pass if the light is lit. I "fixed" the problem by filling to tank to the top, and disconnecting the battery. The test for the evap system can only run when the tank is between 1/4 and 3/4 full. The light stayed off, the car passed, and the light came back on as soon as the tank got down under 3/4.

I'd say it's worth the price of zero to go to the dealership or autozone and use their reader, just to see if the code is still in history and to know what the code was.

·
Super Moderator
10,173 Posts
I have a scan gauge 2 I bought for my Sprinter. I had so many codes show up on the Sprinter every week and it went into LHM so often I couldn't go out without it! I have it connected up on the Promaster now but I only use it as a speedo and voltmeter.

RD is right, everyone needs a code reader if only to see what's going on before you can get help.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Hey GuyT?

>:D>:D Maybe it's a "I'm missing Home" light and it's just saying "let's go home for awhile"? >:D>:D

It wants to be parked, washed, waxed and pampered a little bit.... :D

·
Super Moderator
10,173 Posts
I think it just misses all that expensive Canadian gas!

As I pass from NY into PQ with a full tank;)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Much rather have a check engine light on than a leaking radiator had that my PM was out of commission for a week while the dealer replaced the entire radiator.

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
makevx73, I MAY consider going home soon. One thing for sure, my dead line is September 15, got a family party to attend. Boy, family gets in the way, sometimes. ;)

So, I went to the dealer, the service guy said there was no point checking since the condition was not active anymore. Got my oil changed and went back to my usual routine, windsurfing.

Life is good. :)

·
Registered
625 Posts
Got my oil changed and went back to my usual routine, windsurfing.
If that's you, thanks for being careful out there; noted the PFD and helmet. Just read of the death of a pro windsurfer in the gorge last weekend. :(

·
Registered
399 Posts
... the service guy said there was no point checking since the condition was not active anymore. ...
Another reason to get a code reader. Nothing like knowing for yourself when the dealer wants to play see-no-evil and sweep it under the rug.

I bought my first scanner soon after an opposite incident at a dealer. Took it in and they said it needed an O2 sensor. I said fine that's under warranty right? Wrong - only CA forces manufacturers to warranty emissions equipment for 5 years. Told them not to fix it and went home and looked up the code myself. Code was actually "slow to warm up the sensor". Then I remembered it was very cold and I had flushed under the hood at the car wash the night before. Sensor probably just had ice on it. Dealer would have relieved me of $200+ for nothing. The code never came back again.

Bottom line - it's always better to have information before consulting the dealer.

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Will do that, carnut,when I get home.

I just hope that the 6 months before my next trip will be enough to figure out how to use a code reader ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts