Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know theres a lot of rear view backup cams out there but I decided to go the cheap route. I just want to make sure nothings behind me when i back up.

Started the project today and my buddies going to help me with the wiring since I suck at electical...it should be done by the weekend.

I bought the plate cam, monitor and wireless kit all for under $100 shipped from Amazon.com

Ill post more pics once its finished...

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Do you, or can you have a method of recording while you drive?

The system I want is 4 cameras and to record with no interruptions in the feed and it's in the THOUSANDS!

My only option is to piece one together as 4 decent cameras and a hard drive is a heck of a lot cheaper than the whole system.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Do you, or can you have a method of recording while you drive?

The system I want is 4 cameras and to record with no interruptions in the feed and it's in the THOUSANDS!

My only option is to piece one together as 4 decent cameras and a hard drive is a heck of a lot cheaper than the whole system.
How about adapting one of the home surveillance sets I see at BJ's or Costco? (about $300) They come with cameras, hard drive.... just need to get it to work off 12V. Cameras probably do already, so it's just the hard drive "box" to deal with!

Ed

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My buddy just showed up. I'll post pics and screen shots once we're done. I live in Vegas and I have the feeling he may want to get some partying out of the way first!

Viva Las Vegas!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is a pic of the monitor at night. Very happy with the resolution/picture quality and overall accuracy of the colored guide-strips for a lack of a better word. Also the plate cam has a manual cam tilt adjustment too which came handy.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
Here is a pic of the monitor at night. Very happy with the resolution/picture quality and overall accuracy of the colored guide-strips for a lack of a better word. Also the plate cam has a manual cam tilt adjustment too which came handy.
Thanks for the picture, Probaiter.

"colored guide strips" sounds very accurate to me. I was wondering if yours had any, a nice feature I enjoy on mine (factory).

Screen resolution looks better than mine, so my advice would be to go with this one instead of the optional camera on the PM.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The one thing about the stock one is it gives a birds eye view of the area so if someone is walking by, they show up before the beeps let you know they are there.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The one thing about the stock one is it gives a birds eye view of the area so if someone is walking by, they show up before the beeps let you know they are there.
That is a very good feature. I wonder if anyone even sells a kit for that?

·
Registered
604 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Top mount, heated, infrared lighted... Lots of options. Just one of a few companies.
http://www.rearviewsafety.com/products/individual-components/cameras.html

I'm quite happy with my Garmin BC20 wireless, which works with my Garmin GPS. I modified the mount so it's up high.

That's a clean install. I was actually going to copy you with your exact setup when I saw your post. But decided to go "el-cheepo" w/ my current setup. I like using my galaxy note 3 for gps navigation. I have right next to my back up cam monitor my phone mount. Just waiting for the van company to give me a call today so I can get my trailer hitch installed. Can't wait to take her camping again this weekend. Gonna tow my tent trailer this time though. Interested to see how it feels pulling with these PMs.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I like using my galaxy note 3 for gps navigation. I have right next to my back up cam monitor my phone mount.
Sounds like you made a good choice, not needing a GPS. The image quality on your's looks pretty good too.

Happy Camping! Talking about a chance of a little snow in New England this weekend...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts