Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with putting a box on the Chassis Cab or Cutaway models? I am interested in putting a refrigerated box on the back. Or am I better with going with the more common Issuzu/GMC/Mitsubishi configuration for small box truck?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Obviously I've not done it but I think the decision has to be made based on how much weight you are planning to carry and what you need for length/width/height of the box. Those other trucks have much more capacity. I don't see why the actual construction of the box would be any different regardless of what chassis is underneath it. Making use of the PM's lower chassis to get the floor level down means the box will have wheel-wells in it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
chassis cab

Obviously I've not done it but I think the decision has to be made based on how much weight you are planning to carry and what you need for length/width/height of the box. Those other trucks have much more capacity. I don't see why the actual construction of the box would be any different regardless of what chassis is underneath it. Making use of the PM's lower chassis to get the floor level down means the box will have wheel-wells in it.
We are ok with lower weight capacity but don't want wheel wells in box.
Most of the configurations I have seen sit higher to avoid that.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like not many out there

If you search Chassis Cab available vehicles, there are non.
It might be a long wait for one as they are likely special order only.

·
Registered
221 Posts
If you search Chassis Cab available vehicles, there are non.
It might be a long wait for one as they are likely special order only.
The search feature on RamTrucks.com will turn up quite a few available chassis cabs. (I'm considering one too.) Perhaps there is something about your search settings that is hiding them. Perhaps you need to expand the distance range to find more dealers(?) Are you also searching for cutaways? You may be able to get a $1,000 "upfit credit" for adding the box.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Making use of the PM's lower chassis to get the floor level down means the box will have wheel-wells in it.
The top rail of the frame of the chassis cab is close to the level of the top of the rear wheels. I think it is pretty close to the height of other brands of chassis cabs. The floor height of the van, on the other hand, really benefits from the Promaster's front wheel drive.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes

The top rail of the frame of the chassis cab is close to the level of the top of the rear wheels. I think it is pretty close to the height of other brands of chassis cabs. The floor height of the van, on the other hand, really benefits from the Promaster's front wheel drive.
That is a good thought...the things that help it be a better Van carry over to
the chassis cab. Likely add a frame on the chassis which lifts box up a little to clear the wheels.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts