Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be changing my spark plugs in the next few weeks. Has anyone found a good uTube video or drirections on how to do it?

All I've found is videos for Penstar engines in other vehicles but nothing specific to the Premaster. Some posters here say it's a 2 hour job and others say it's an all day nightmare. I'll be having RD assisting (with moral support) but we're not sure what size Leatherman we need, if any. I'll be providing the food and beer ;)

Thanks, in advance.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I did see a video of a guy claiming the promaster cabin floorboard easily unscrews to help get at certain parts of the engine. But I cant find any other info about it so I assume its BS?

·
Super Moderator
10,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the engine mostly stripped down to remove the plenum but, of course, one of the plenum bolts is buried in a deep hole that collects water from the windshield runoff. The head of the bolt is so rusted I can't get either a torx bit in it or a socket. I know someone else had this identical problem but google isn't my friend tonight.

Has anyone had this happen and, if so, did you just drill the head of the bolt off?

·
Super Moderator
10,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Manage to get this job completed today with the help & support of RD. The job would have been very difficult and frustrating but thanks to all the tips from Kip & pblue it went fairly smoothly. The most difficult part is removing the plenum after that it's a pretty simple job.

·
Registered
810 Posts
good job to all involved.
Let's hope that someone shot video and is now editing a 'how to' instructional video for all of us here on the forum.

·
Super Moderator
10,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
No video but I'll be writing up something in the future. Got the bolt out by putting a slightly smaller SAE socket on the 3" ¼" drive and giving it a good hit with a hammmer. It cut into what was left of the hex head and after several Hail Mary's and patting RD's new pup "Jack" for good luck I gave it a twist and it turned. This is a very thin bolt about 2" long with both a hex head and a torx slot on the top but both were very rusted. It actual has a very course thread and goes into another piece of plastic. I took the other 6 out with a T30 torx driver bit on a long driver.

·
Premium Member
8,832 Posts
Jack did love the attention too as all puppy’s do. He thinks KOV is lots of fun and got to ride to the Dump (transfer station) to look for doggy toys, crates and other discarded doggy interesting stuff! He got a nice clean chew toy!
Doing this job is not that bad if one documents everything with a phone camera. The plenum is the tough thing to remove to allow access to the top of the cylinders. On a scale of 1-10 (one being replacing your battery and 10 being rebuilding your engine this is a three.
Allow 5+ hours if you have a good set of tools and are alone. 7+ if another promaster owner shows up. brings his puppy and begs a trip to the dump! That slowdown will probably be accompanied by some time chowing down good Thai take out. Thanks for that!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts