Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, either I'm getting older or people who design stuff are getting stupid. Anybody have to change a license plate bulb yet? In my mind, this is one of the most ridiculous things I've seen in a while. I've already lost the two lamps that I purchased into the abyss. I'm going to try a magnet to retrieve them, but before I start verbally abusing my van and humiliating myself in the neighborhood just figured to see if anyone here has this procedure figured out.......

·
Registered
810 Posts
Mine popped out partially once and activated a warning on the dash screen. I did fumble it ine putting it back in as i took it out to look at it.
Luckily, i caught it before it dropped out of sight.
Then grabbed a long needle nose to put it back in first try.
Next time though.. im gonna use blue painters tape to seal off the abyss. . Then start with the bulb.
good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
I replaced mine today. Took about half hour. I took the cover mostly off the inside of the door with one of those tools for removing the plastic holder clips. 3-10mm nuts hold that whole assembly on. Remove those and it comes right out. Replace both and slap it back together.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Are we talking about a promaster license plate bulb? I changed one in my 2014 in 30 seconds. I must be missing something here. Headlights are a pain in butt.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Well I just changed one. It's a good thing they come in two packs, because the first try flipped up and into the abyss. The second one I was more careful and got it in. Anyone know how to Retrieve my other good bulb that is lost on the inside? Thank you

·
Premium Member
8,714 Posts
Duct tape wrapped inside-out around a dowel or stick, jam it around down there and the bulb will stick to the sticky inside out tape. I once retrieved an expensive 9" level from the bottom of 12 feet of concrete block with a length of 1/2 inch PVC pipe wrapped with a ball of duct tape!

·
Registered
810 Posts
That might work, but I gotta find a 90+degree hook stick. The bulb squirts up and over the top, not down. Its slinging around up and behind where the bulb is. You can barely touch it with a finger tip.. but duct tape on my digit may work.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Chnged license lamp today.

I had a burnt license plate lamp today. After reading on this forum I got it done in 15 minutes.
I took the inside panel off the door and pulled the socket out, replaced the bulb. Pushed the socket back in, replaced the inside door panel and that was it !

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I took my PM in for an oil change, software update and tire rotation. There was a glaring notice on the dash that a license plate bulb was burnt out but that was too obvious for my dealership to catch. So, when I got it home I changed it myself. It is the stupidest design I have ever seen! It took at least six attempts and I lost the replacement bulb in the abyss several times. I was able to retrieve it each time with a magnet, my fingers could not reach it. I was about to resort to pulling the inside panel but I decided they couldn't have possibly designed that to be necessary just to replace a bulb, so I persisted. There is no backing to the bulb so just when you are about to get it popped into position, you've pushed to far and it pops out the back or disappears. It was much less simple than I expected.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I used a small twist tie wrapped around center of bulb. Insert one end into a side and push other end up.

·
Registered
138 Posts
So, when I got it home I changed it myself. It is the stupidest design I have ever seen! It took at least six attempts and I lost the replacement bulb in the abyss several times. I was able to retrieve it each time with a magnet, my fingers could not reach it.
Humnnn, I must not have had a strong enough magnet.

The real problem for me wasn't that the bulb was burnt out, it was that the holder wasn't tight enough to get good contact.

Almost from day one I have been plagued with that stupid idiot light coming on and going off. Usually by the time I could try and check it, both lights were back on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
hello,
i am having a problem with my license plate lights. one bulb was working. i replaced them both by pulling the little white clear tabs out and snapping in two new bulbs. now, none of them works and the light in dashboard still on for error.
getting on a 3000 mile trip tomorrow and i am in a little crunch. i thought it will be an easy fix but it turns into a nightmare. plastic harness at L door not damaged so i dont think wires are pinched.
i did not check the fuse panel if there is one just for the license plate lights. the rest of my lights and signals work.
thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
After 3 trips to 3 different dodge Chrysler dealerships, finally I got my license plate light NOT fixed and 344.00 dollars in the hole.
1st trip to one dealership with an appt from the day before, to get there and being told that Phil, is not in until Tuesday , out for training. But, I was told the day before when I get there to ask for Phil, at 8am.
Call the next dealership closer , can I come to fix my license plate light? Sure no problem, stuck in rush hour traffic I get there for them to tell me that they only fix promaster city, not the 1500 promaster that i have. What can I do ,get mad and blow the place up? Nope, take it with a grain of salt.
Let's call the next one , driving to Frederick MD , another dodge dealership at Tate. I get here , no problem will fix it. 5 hours later , they are telling me that there is smth wrong ( didn't I know that already), and one of the sockets at plate is bad.my new 2015 bought in April last year is faulty from manufacturing. They realized that the error message disappears if they take one bulb out , then the other still works.
So , after 5 hrs in shop, 344$ they tell me to come back and and have it fixed for another 300-400$ after they get the part in.
And I forgot to mention, I was suppose to leve today from Md to Ca, permanent move.
Now, I am all frustrated, ready to call dodge ram, how can this be possible. As soon as I got out of warranty something as simple as a licenae plate light is making me pay almost 7-800$ to have it done. I this ia not outrageous , I don't know what it is.
Any advice on taking this to corporate level?
Ram promaster 1500, high roof, 2015 , 45k miles as of today.

·
Registered
5 Posts
After 3 trips to 3 different dodge Chrysler dealerships, finally I got my license plate light NOT fixed and 344.00 dollars in the hole.
1st trip to one dealership with an appt from the day before, to get there and being told that Phil, is not in until Tuesday , out for training. But, I was told the day before when I get there to ask for Phil, at 8am.
Call the next dealership closer , can I come to fix my license plate light? Sure no problem, stuck in rush hour traffic I get there for them to tell me that they only fix promaster city, not the 1500 promaster that i have. What can I do ,get mad and blow the place up? Nope, take it with a grain of salt.
Let's call the next one , driving to Frederick MD , another dodge dealership at Tate. I get here , no problem will fix it. 5 hours later , they are telling me that there is smth wrong ( didn't I know that already), and one of the sockets at plate is bad.my new 2015 bought in April last year is faulty from manufacturing. They realized that the error message disappears if they take one bulb out , then the other still works.
So , after 5 hrs in shop, 344$ they tell me to come back and and have it fixed for another 300-400$ after they get the part in.
And I forgot to mention, I was suppose to leve today from Md to Ca, permanent move.
Now, I am all frustrated, ready to call dodge ram, how can this be possible. As soon as I got out of warranty something as simple as a licenae plate light is making me pay almost 7-800$ to have it done. I this ia not outrageous , I don't know what it is.
Any advice on taking this to corporate level?
Ram promaster 1500, high roof, 2015 , 45k miles as of today.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Magnet doesn't work the syvania led one I bought is made of pure silver or something non magnetic. Anyway I had trouble too. It's in the shape of a fuse so maybe a fuse puller will work but I had a pair of small needle nose pliers that I ended up using

1 - 20 of 34 Posts