Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2019 159 EXT HR (3500) in WA
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In this frenetic Project Farm video:

He tests a bunch of ceramic spray on wax-ish products.

The "Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating" was really impressive.

Anyone have experience with this kind of ceramic coating? I imagine it would take a few bottles to cover the van.

·
Registered
2018-2500-159" aka Sun2 -NE Ohio
270 Posts
I was comtemplating a "wax" job before winter. Last week I did a little experimenting. The paint on the PM is a bit gritty feeling. This is probably why clay bars are so popular? Well forget that on a PM. After a wash, On a couple of panels I tried some old Turtle Wax thinking it would deep clean. Nice and slick but still has the gritty feel. I have a bottle of Meguirs ceramic in a green bottle. A cream like consistency. Claims you can apply over other waxes. I applied this. Much more slippery than the Turttle wax. Meguirs says it can also be applied to plastic and chrome. Might try that on the black trim.

To shortcut this I just did a panel with the Meguirs ceramic. Same feel. Since I already have the (pricey) bottle of Meguirs I hope to get a full coat on before winter.

What the Promaster really needs is a good rub down with a Brillo pad to smooth down the paint bumps. ****...................****Ok, maybe not.

That Turtle Wax Hybrid looks good.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Why? Our clear coat is pretty darned amazing.
Our van is starting to get some pretty noticeable Arizona pinstripes on it - - because I'm always going down mountain roads crowded with foliage. I really noticed the pinstripes in the clear coat when I washed it last:

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Grey

I have some of the Meguiar's ceramic that I bought for another project and I might give that a shot. After watching that video I was just kind of amazed at the Turtle Wax stuff

. . .
That Turtle Wax Hybrid looks good. ****Ok... maybe not.
Am I missing something? According to project Farms video that Turtle Wax Hybrid is amazing?

·
Registered
568 Posts
My experience is that modern clear coats are super tough, and just need basic protection. Back in the 80s and 90s dealers were pushing various silicone-based "protectants" (profit motive for the finance department). This latest marketing of "ceramic" polishes are just a different take of the same products.

But today's dual stage automotive painting includes a clear coat that stands up really well. Do we really want some silicone-based compound chemically bonded into your factory clear coat? Just one small disadvantage is the silicone compounds interfering with touch up paint. Silicone is way overrated as a protectant IMO, and not worth contamination of the material to which it bonds.

All the clear coat needs is application of a good carnauba-based auto wax. It's super easy to apply, lasts a reasonable amount of time, and easily and completely removed from the paint when that's needed.

Edit: By the way, the "ceramic" in those products is usually just super fine glass powder. It does not form a "coat", but just lays there bonded to the clear coat.

·
Registered
563 Posts
In this frenetic Project Farm video:

He tests a bunch of ceramic spray on wax-ish products.

The "Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating" was really impressive.

Anyone have experience with this kind of ceramic coating? I imagine it would take a few bottles to cover the van.

I think what keeps some people detailing their ride is if done correctly, it does look good. Its a lot of work. If your're going to wax, do all the prep steps to the paint first. You'll probably be happy enough at that point anyway and not need ceramic, unless you want to. And in the future all that prep will make rewaxing much quicker and easier to do. Like @diytech said, wax is usually good enough.

I've used Mcguiers products on other vehicles of mine in the past and it is a lot better than a tub of do-it-all turtle wax.

I've never ceramic coat probably never will, but I do like Mcguiers clear coat polish. It does remove/hide clear coat damage and leave paint very smooth. Its not wax but you would think it was. You can wax over it. If you got pinstripes clear coat polish is what you need.

On my 2010 metallic green Subaru it really brings out the metallic sparkles and rejuvenates the depth of clear coat finish. On my 2017 white Promaster it helps make paint feel smooth but doesn't show like a metallic paint would.

One thing for sure, get the family in on it, the PM is a beast to do solo.

·
Registered
2021 PM 159 HR - Los Angeles, CA
58 Posts
I had used this on my new van last year as soon as I brought it home: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08K3N5QP5
Supposedly Graphene is better than Ceramic. Seems to have helped especially consider I park out on the street in the full Socal sun. However, not sure I can clean the van (and clay bar) well enough for me to do a recoat this year. I think it would trap a lot of the dirt and grime in if I just did a wash and recoat. I may try to do it anyway in a few weeks just so I can give it some UV protection.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
. . . I've never ceramic coat probably never will . . .
Yes. I figured this ceramic was just some BS marketing but when I watched that project farm video I was like what the heck that seems like a real product.

·
Registered
2017 2500 HiTop 159 Cargo Van white.
892 Posts
After 5 years and only washing VanGo with Meguires soap the finish still looks almost new.
Meguires wash in the red bottle.
Their are two different ones clear and the creamy. The creamy is absolutely the best soap I have used over my 50 years of hand washing cars.
I have not put wax on a vehicle in over 20 years. No regrets.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Using a clay bar is the way to go. It would take forever on a van but if you ever decide to put in the effort, it makes keeping your van clean very easy. Wax isn't as effective until you remove the grittiness that's clinging to your paint.

The clay bar removes all the contaminates, including any oxidation. After you apply wax or polish, you will notice it lasts for a very very long time because dirt has a harder time of clinging to the surface. Instead of regular washing, you can go a long time with only rinsing and wiping the surfaces down with one of those netted polishing clothes.

My arms just fell off only from the thought of waxing a PM.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Yeah, waxed the whole van just a month ago using Meguires carnauba wax, with no power tools. Took about an hour and some each day for four days. The wax makes releasing sap and tar much easier.

The carnauba polishes just a nicely as the silicone products. On that note, the graphene products are same as the ceramic. Just ground graphite suspended in silicone instead of ground glass.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Yeah, waxed the whole van just a month ago using Meguires carnauba wax, with no power tools. Took about an hour and some each day for four days. The wax makes releasing sap and tar much easier.

The carnauba polishes just a nicely as the silicone products. On that note, the graphene products are same as the ceramic. Just ground graphite suspended in silicone instead of ground glass.
Tony is that you???

This is an Ironman right here folks!

·
Registered
563 Posts

Pictures would be nice of finished product.

·
Registered
2021 Silver ProMaster 159
362 Posts
After 5 years and only washing VanGo with Meguires soap the finish still looks almost new.
Meguires wash in the red bottle.
Their are two different ones clear and the creamy. The creamy is absolutely the best soap I have used over my 50 years of hand washing cars.
I have not put wax on a vehicle in over 20 years. No regrets.
There are a lot of options. Is this the one you recommend? https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Hyper-Wash-Foaming-Leaves-D11001/dp/B0006SH4IM

1 - 20 of 24 Posts