Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the same box? Since we're putting a hole in the roof anyway, we are wondering if there would be interference issues if we ran the cable for a roof mounted cell booster antenna in the same box as the cable for the solar panels.

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
1,999 Posts
Hi,
I think it would probably be OK.

The antenna wire is probably shielded (you can probably tell by looking at it and its connectors carefully).

The solar panel wires should only be producing DC, which should not interfere with the cell signal.

Gary

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,539 Posts
As Gary notes, one is DC,and the other is RF.... they should peacefully coexist.

Ms,

Wondering what unit you're thinking of for the cell booster... they look $$$$. Any experience with how well they work?

Ed

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We decided to get another box and make another hole. Too many wires for that one box.

We have ordered the WeBoost Drive 4G-S refurbished from WilsonAmplifiers.com for $155, free shipping. Recommended by Steve.
Most of our hiking is in areas where cell signal is quite weak. I understand that sometimes we still won't have any at all--the device can't manufacture signal. We have absolutely nowhere to mount the inside unit--a disadvantage of maximum windows. I assume we will set it up when needed.

We were just contemplating the possibility and not ready to pull the trigger until we realized that it should be now or never. The front ceiling panel is down for the solar and I dont want to pull it again. We are trying to think of anything we might ever want to do up there. I have put Thinsulate over the cab. That has bugged me but I didn't yet have the magic button puller tool when the ceiling went up.

·
Registered
358 Posts
We decided to get another box and make another hole. Too many wires for that one box.

We have ordered the WeBoost Drive 4G-S refurbished from WilsonAmplifiers.com for $155, free shipping. Recommended by Steve.
Most of our hiking is in areas where cell signal is quite weak. I understand that sometimes we still won't have any at all--the device can't manufacture signal. We have absolutely nowhere to mount the inside unit--a disadvantage of maximum windows. I assume we will set it up when needed.

We were just contemplating the possibility and not ready to pull the trigger until we realized that it should be now or never. The front ceiling panel is down for the solar and I dont want to pull it again. We are trying to think of anything we might ever want to do up there. I have put Thinsulate over the cab. That has bugged me but I didn't yet have the magic button puller tool when the ceiling went up.
All my solar and antenna wires use the same rooftop combiner box - haven't seen any interference issues. When you get that WeBoost amplifier you will be surprised at how lightweight the antenna cable is (I heat wrapped mine for protection) so don't go cutting another hole until you get the antenna and try using the one box. OR, buy a slightly larger combiner box so you can fit everything - fewer holes in the the roof is always better.

PS: Getting ready to board the ferry to Newfoundland, great trip so far!

·
Registered
154 Posts
All boosters have shielded antenna wiring. The actual signal wire itself is tiny,its all the shielding and jacketing that makes up the thickness of the cable.
Weboost AKA Wilson or Smooth Talker are the most common ones if anyone is looking to consider one.
Pro tip, don't put the antenna by your head unless you want to make popcorn in your ears!

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The one that comes with the unit, whatever that is. Looks like a short stick that attaches to the roof with a magnet.

I don't understand the popcorn warning???

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,539 Posts
Cellular frequencies, at close range, are like using a microwave oven....you don't want your head near the amplified signal.

Technicians who work on microwave towers were known to need thick glasses and have issues with the "private parts"

... as cited on the Communications Workers of America website, "For example, it has been demonstrated that microwave radiation may cause eye and testicular damage. These organs are highly vulnerable to radiation damage because they contain few blood vessels. Therefore, they are unable to circulate blood and dissipate the heat from radiation as effectively as other organs."

just sayin....

ed

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,539 Posts
This warning is for the outside antenna, right?
1) I read up on the unit you're getting. It's a low power unit and the cradle-design means that the RF in the van will be only at the cradle. Outside antenna RF will be higher but even so, it appears the Wilson stuff is FCC approved. I believe that you do have to register the unit with your phone service provider.

2) The guys I mentioned at CWA with "issues" are dealing with significantly higher power levels than any cell phone or booster.... like lots of watts vs milli's of watts.... no panic required!

I did some looking... those phone boosters are lotsa $$$$$ !

ed

ps. My first ham radio was a Wilson... I'm a big fan of their stuff. Back then, cell phones didn't exist but I could amaze and astound people by using my Wilson walkie talkie to phone them thru a ham repeater :nerd:

... not so long ago!

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, this booster, I admit, is a luxury. (The Engel, OTOH, was a wise investment.). >:D I'm actually surprised that frugal MrNomer suggested it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Question, is cellular booster same as wifi booster? Also has anyone added a CB radio to their RV?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Many, many moons ago CB radios were popular for all. About 6 years ago I tried one in a previous RV and found it useless and actually removed it. If traveling with other RVs the cell phone is the best answer. Many truckers no longer have CBs.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Question, is cellular booster same as wifi booster? Also has anyone added a CB radio to their RV?
While they function the same way, the frequencies at which they boost are not the same. They are not cross compatible.
The only guys who have CB radio have it because of the long whips that they think look cool...:|
Your money is better spent on a booster than a CB, Ontario has pretty good cell coverage though, much better than the rockies of AB or BC.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts