Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Mrs. and I spend a good deal of time in the hills, where (if we're lucky) there is usually weak or no signal at all.

I've been considering installing a booster like a SmoothTalker or similar, in hopes of being able to spend an additional day out in the hills -- working remotely for some of it, and checked out for the rest.

Anyone have any experience with any of the specific models available? Any tips or anecdotes on do's and dont's?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,829 Posts
We have the mobile WeBoost. A couple of times it has saved our butts and we are glad we have it, but it is no miracle worker. No signal is usually still no signal.

I wouldn't want to count on it for work purposes.

·
Banned
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any chance either of you would care to share where you mounted your external antenna, and how you routed the wiring inside?

I've ordered a WeBoost 4G-X and hope to dig into it on Tuesday.

TIA,

MC

·
Registered
258 Posts
I drilled a hole in my roof and mounted it directly to the metal. If your antenna is long enough and you don't want to drill a hole you can always go through one of the rear clearance lights. Notch the lens on the bottom and push your cable through.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Or go through rear camera housing , if u have one.

·
Banned
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I drilled a hole in my roof and mounted it directly to the metal. If your antenna is long enough and you don't want to drill a hole you can always go through one of the rear clearance lights. Notch the lens on the bottom and push your cable through.

That's the main problem -- it's hard to get enough front -> back separation between the internal and external antennae. I've got my external antenna running out through the sunroof right now, along the roof and most of the way back. Best signal gain I've found is with it there.

Problem is that when it rained a few days ago I got a few drips through the sunroof because the antenna cable is compressing the seal. Need to sort that.

I think I know the answer here, but since I *never* use FM radio on my van, is there a reason that I can't remove my FM antenna and use that location for my external cell signal antenna?

That'd create other problems, but they're all solvable and that location would overall be the best compromise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts