Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried different search options maybe just not the right one but hear goes.
we have trouble getting cell phone reception in our van what can you do to improve reception?

·
Registered
12 Posts
There seem to be two options. Option A would be to purchase a cell phone booster with an antenna. Option B is to focus less on cell phone reception and more upon internet reception. Option B is cheaper and promises to be more effective, imo.

Here’s a couple that appears to have set themselves up as the defacto experts. Worth checking out imo. Mobile Internet Resource Center

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Who's your service provider? What kind of cellphone? Each provider has different coverage. I was in Carmel Valley, CA recently and my T-Mobile hotspot had no reception but my Verizon cellphone worked fine. Also some phones have better antennas then others. You can get a signal booster. I haven't tried them personally but have heard decent reviews on them. I also had a crazy idea of using air balloons to elevate my cellphone LOL Another thing you can try is some type of satellite system. They are more expensive but as long as you have clear sky u can get signal since it isn't blocked by buildings, mountains, etc. Of course much more expensive.

·
Premium Member
8,714 Posts
This may be a case where a window van has the advantage. There are very cheap outside antenna/inside emitters that about half the buyers say helps to get the signal inside. It doesn’t increase the outside signal like a WeBoost which cost hundreds.

Reactions: ballwing15

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,822 Posts
This is why I have ATT and MrNomer has Verizon. Our $100 WeBoost occasionally helps, but only if there’s signal to begin with.

·
Registered
76 Posts
We brought our irridium go sat transceiver from boat life to van life but overkill unless you need data hotspot and voice anywhere you can drive in the world

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Who's your service provider? What kind of cellphone? Each provider has different coverage. I was in Carmel Valley, CA recently and my T-Mobile hotspot had no reception but my Verizon cellphone worked fine. Also some phones have better antennas then others. You can get a signal booster. I haven't tried them personally but have heard decent reviews on them. I also had a crazy idea of using air balloons to elevate my cellphone LOL Another thing you can try is some type of satellite system. They are more expensive but as long as you have clear sky u can get signal since it isn't blocked by buildings, mountains, etc. Of course much more expensive.
We have att. Outside of van we were fine but inside no go. Like RD said maybe a window would help but haven’t done that yet. I’m also looking at some of the other reply’s and am looking into them. WeBoost I have looked at but Holy Cotton Picken Toledo my best girl can step outside if she needs it that bad. Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have tried different search options maybe just not the right one but hear goes.
we have trouble getting cell phone reception in our van what can you do to improve reception?
I set up a We Boost system and it works great for us! I use a Mofi 4500 Sim7 router and switch between 2 MVNOs so I don't burn through our cell data with our phone carrier. DM me if you want details/links.

*Edit
Our network build was a little on the pricey side but my lady and I have to have a constant connection for work (and play) so it was money well spent!

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
All of our cell use is up front in the cab (our only seats) and we haven't noticed reception being any worse than in our car. It might be worse in the back without as much glass, but we haven't tried. Our comm-tech is pretty simple and cheap since we don't work on the road.

We have a multi-channel Chinese cell booster from Amazon that does a very good job of boosting marginal signals. But, we don't leave it on all the time since boosters can also degrade good signals.

For the internet, we supplement cell data with free wi-fi hotspots as much as possible. We have an external usb wi-fi adapter to give our laptop a bigger, longer-range antenna.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Unless out in the sticks I haven't had much trouble getting a signal while driving. Sometimes while camping in deep sticks just going outside works best - as long as the weather and insects cooperate, and there is a transmitter within range. Sometimes you get to a spot where there's just nothing, not even AM or FM.

The van's rear and slider windows help allow signal in/out, but it turns out the Reflectix panels I put up at dusk are very effective signal blockers. The plus side is that it's much more comfortable sleeping without my tinfoil hat. ;-) Sometimes at night I'm able to get a decent signal sitting up front with the Reflectix panels pulled off the door windows.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts