Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, folks -- New member here. I drive a 2017 ProMaster high top for business, and since I'm in nutty California, I break the law if I put my cell phone to my ear when talking with customers. Problem is, road noise in this vehicle -- and on California roads -- is so bad that people can't hear me if, as the law requires, I leave the phone in its cradle and use the vehicle's mike.

I can't safely use my cell phone's GPS or map app for the same reason, so when I'm looking for a specific street address I end up driving around with one eye on the road and the other on the cell phone's map display on the seat between my legs.

What's the solution to these problems? Does anyone know of an aftermarket electronic device or system with 1) a mike that limits ambient noise, 2) a decent GPS system and 3) a display screen large enough to be useful in a ProMaster without getting in the way of my view ahead?

Thanks in advance for the help...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Do you have the factory bulkhead? I bought my 2018 with the bulkhead in order to reduce cabin noise (the factory unit has a little fabric and sound deadening on it) after driving an empty van without one. I find I can easily use the phone but I do have to crank up the volume to hear it.

I can imagine that without the bulkhead it would be close to useless.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,241 Posts
Don't they make head sets for smart phones?

Voice dialing app?

Google maps will tell you where to turn, you don't have to look.

or am I missing something?

·
Registered
2017 2500 HiTop 159 Cargo Van white.
485 Posts
Or 17 has factory bulkhead and is really pretty quite which allows the factory Bluetooth to work pretty well.
Without a bulkhead I would use a good Bluetooth headset. Jaybird makes some great ones.

·
Registered
528 Posts
As Phil suggested, you could just get a Blutooth headset. The other option is to actually quiet the van down, which is fairly easy by using a product like Noico, insulation or even something as simple as a sliding curtain to separate the cab from cargo area. My Promaster is fully insulated and is VERY quiet. The only real noticeable issue is wind noise from the mirrors, but that's tough to get rid of.

For the GPS you could run an app like Waze on a large android tablet. The downside to that is you have to have internet access or link it to a cell.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bulkhead

Do you have the factory bulkhead? I bought my 2018 with the bulkhead in order to reduce cabin noise (the factory unit has a little fabric and sound deadening on it) after driving an empty van without one. I find I can easily use the phone but I do have to crank up the volume to hear it.

I can imagine that without the bulkhead it would be close to useless.

Unforch, I bought it without the bulkhead, thinking to save on costs and in any case would want easy access to the back. I'm gonna look into this some more. Meanwhile, many thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Or 17 has factory bulkhead and is really pretty quite which allows the factory Bluetooth to work pretty well.
Without a bulkhead I would use a good Bluetooth headset. Jaybird makes some great ones.

Thanks, Biker. I'm looking into aftermarket bulkheads.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm tardy in getting back to this, but many thanks to all for the good input. An aftermarket bulkhead allowing access front to back is probably the solution, along with an upgraded radio. I do have continuous internet access via a simple AT&T module, and Mopar makes a unit that might improve on the AT&T gear. I'll report back when I put the pieces of this puzzle together. Meantime, thanks again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
All newly registered members MUST make an introductory post in the Introductory Post Forum as per forum rules. "Promasterforum.com Introduction Section " Please be aware until you do make the required introductory post any posts you make may be deleted.
Hello I have a 2016 PMC and had the same issue with road noise the person on the phone will always say it sounded like my windows were rolled down when on the highway I ended up discovering a way to fix it. No need to purchase a new sound system.Im offering the modification to your original mic system for $60 with shipping back to you included. Turn around time is 1 day.

Let me know if I can be of help.

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
If you wish to offer your services on the forum please become a premium member.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts