Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Diesel with about 23k miles and have a CEL with Code P20EE, which was pulled at the local auto parts store. The code didn't turn up in a search of the forums, but a general web search indicates a potential issue with the catalytic convertor.

I need to schedule service and would like to be armed with information prior to servicing the vehicle. I have little faith in the service staff at my current dealership and I'm planning to try another that recently became available in my area.

Wondering if this might have something to do with the regen cycle? I have never seen a regen light on my panel.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
Help us out by giving us the build date in 2014 please. Early diesels had a few issues so yours is probably one built when it was happening. Have you had a recent ECM update? You need that and most dealers do one anytime the van comes in for service. Most of those early problems were fixed through software after it was realized the emissions systems were throwing codes due to the software.
The regen light will not be activated unless you have interrupted the regen cycle several times and no successful regen has happened. Then the light will show to indicate the NECESSITY of letting the cycle complete before stopping. I have never seen it either.
The code indicates "SCR NOx Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1” and our vans have only one bank. There is a thought it is the result of bad DEF but we have another code for that which has shown up in a few vans. If the dealer cleans and refills the DEF they may know something we don’t. There have been attempts to fix it by changing sensors some suggesting an O2 sensor. I don’t know for sure we have an O2 sensor on this system. If the dealer flashes your computer, resets the code and does a test drive I'd feel good. If the code comes right back AFTER the update of the computer and test drive then it will require further diagnosis and I’d hope the local tech gets in touch with the FCA genius guys.
Best of luck. You are under warranty and hopefully time at the dealer is not a problem.

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,494 Posts
Plan on not having your van for a day. After a scan report and DTC check they will need to do a manual DPF regen this may take 1 hour at 55mpg or until done. If they replace things this has to be done again just to confirm it does not come back. Their are two sensors in bank 1 that are permanently wired together if one is bad both have to be replaced. They check the def injector looking for constant mist no drips and the right amount of def in a measured beaker. That's all I know of this P20ee xmas tree.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You nailed it KilWerBzz. After performing a service bulletin which indicated replacement of the sensors, they ran the test that you described and the code did not return. It will be a while before I will be able to tell if the code will return through normal use because they had to order parts to fix several radiator leaks. Won't have the parts for a week. Fortunately I have a loaner vehicle through the business link program.

Thanks RDinNHandAZ for the additional info on the regen process.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts