Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Promaster City Wagon here.

My "Check Engine" light came on a few weeks ago. I took it to the stealership at my earliest convenience. They said the vehicle was showing a code for in intake sensor. Unfortunately, they didn't have a loaner available, so I went home. Maybe 2 weeks later, they finally had a loaner, so I took my van in and dropped it off.

Two weeks later, they say they couldn't find anything wrong with it, so they flashed the Transmission Control Module and reset the light and I could come get the van. (It took them almost 2 weeks to assign the van to a technician, and then one day to determine there was nothing wrong with it.) Here's where it gets really interesting.

When I went to pick up the van, the odometer showed 597 miles more than when I dropped it off. Obviously, I was a little concerned about that. Had the dealership used my van to deliver something 300 miles away? Did they just loan it out to one of their technicians for 2 weeks? I have no idea. Right away, the service guy started telling me that the onboard computer and the actual odometer must be showing two different readings, and my odometer must be wrong. I was there for over an hour while they had 4 different people trying to plug code readers into the van, and nobody could tell me anything. Meanwhile, the CEL came back on.

I got another loaner and left the van with them to figure it out.

They called last night to tell me they couldn't find anything wrong with the van that would trigger the CEL, so they reset the light again. Meanwhile, they're saying the odometer is reading 450 miles more than the computer shows. I told them I was concerned that a higher reading on the odometer would affect my warrantee and resale, and he said he understood.

They called today to ask me if I normally plug anything into the ODB2 reader (tattletale device or insurance monitor or whatever) and of course, I do not. I'm the only person who drives the vehicle, so I don't need to monitor anything like that.

They've had my van since December 2nd, and I'm growing tired of this. I didn't sign up for all this hassle when I bought a brand new van. I shouldn't have any problems for 5 years. So for 21 days I've had no van, they still don't know what's wrong with it, and the odometer is wrong.

(this is the same dealership that couldn't figure out how to pull the stereo out last time they worked on recall issues, so they just yanked on it until things broke. Then when they put it back together, they didn't hook up the hazard lights, the backup camera, the subwoofer, or the USB connector. Or replace the broken parts. It's like they just jammed the stereo into the dash and thought I wouldn't notice?)

I don't think I'll ever buy another Dodge. The van has been good, but the service is disgusting.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update-

It occurred to me that the lack of uconnect stereo might be related to my issues. (I remembered people saying that removal of the factory stereo would cause the odometer to blink, and the clock to not work properly, which made me think the uconnect facilitates communication between the computer and the instrument cluster.) So I called the dealership and told them my theory.

A couple of days later, they called back and said that they determined that was the issue. I have to admit, I'm disappointed the service department couldn't figure that out on their own, and they claimed to have taken the issue to Chrysler, and escalated it through 3 different levels of technicians at corporate. It's a little hard to believe that they couldn't figure out what the problem was, and that I did.

So the dealership told me I could reinstall the factory stereo and bring the van back, and they would reset and recalibrate everything for me, and they would have to charge me for that. Or, I could just come get the van and be done.

In the end, I'm still not sure they didn't drive my van for 600 miles over the month they had it, because they couldn't give me anything in writing that verified the odometer and the computer show different mileage readings.

TL;DR - I dropped my van off for a Check Engine light, and got it back a month later with 600+ miles and "we couldn't find a reason for the Check Engine light."

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had the same thing when I replaced my UConnect, also. In fact, there are times when I start the vehicle now and I get all of the warning lights, airbag sensor alarms, etc. I turn off the vehicle, wait ten seconds, and restart. No problems, no warning lights.

When I first installed the aftermarket, I was also irritated by the fact that I could not get the dash cluster set...Clock, Date, etc.
So, I uninstalled the aftermarket, reinstalled the Uconnect, set the clock, etc. Reinstalled the aftermarket and all was good. All the while the battery was connected, and it is the only way to perform this step.
Seems a lot of work, but it was the only way I could get everything set. Mind you, once you remove the battery cable, this step will need to be performed again.

I figured this all out while sitting in my driveway one day....didn't need the stealership to figure it out. Hope that helps.

P.S. Another reason I hate stealerships....you never know when they are gonna go all Ferris Beuller on your vehicle....

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, this is the first problem I've had with the lack of Uconnect, as I also installed the module that allows the aftermarket stereo to communicate the time to the dash, and keep the odometer form blinking. It also allows me to use the steering wheel buttons, and I can even see the PSI on each tire through the stereo.

I'm just happy to have the van back, and hoping this will not be a problem in the future.

Thanks for your input!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts