Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the dreaded P2BA9 code again...about 100 miles after putting in some BLU DEF. Drained, flushed, and replaced with MOPAR myself. Got count down....code never cleared. Made it to the dealer with about 30 miles left. They seem frustrated, and haven't been able to clear the code. I just agreed to let them replace the DEF injector...so I'm $600 in now. DEF tests good. I can't help but fear they don't have the proper tools to diagnose and/or reset the ECU and are just going to willy nilly start replacing parts. Any advice? I just want to get this thing going again so I can sell it...I'm out of warranty :(

(2014 Ram Promaster 2500 3.0 Ecodiesel)

·
Premium Member
8,395 Posts
I expect it is not the DEF injector based on others experience. As an aside you are far from the first who had this issue after adding Blue DEF. I have always used the Walmart brand since it seems to sell well, is stored inside, and we have yet to hear that it caused any issue. Did they remove the DEF tank, rinse it (DEF is very soluble) and reinstalled it filled with good DEF? Good luck, they may have tested and have the right answer.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
When I had that code "Service def soon see dealer or die" message I added 2gals superS def and drove, it turned off within 100 miles. They can test injectors. Inspect the line for leaks a white powder will show at the leak or a kink in the line. The message will appear for 40 key cycles a cycle is 10 minutes run time, after that an occasional display may happen. If your def was bad per a refractometer or any part of the def system was replaced you need to run a SCR reset per the book. Here's how the dealer resets the SCR.

SCR HEALING PROCEDURE

1. Verify that the DEF Tank level is between 25% and 85% full.
2. Please turn the key off for 45 seconds (Complete after-run).
3. Using the scan tool, go Misc. Functions>Perform ‘DEF Tank Level Reset’.
4. Add 1 gallon of Diesel Exhaust Fluid (to trigger refill detection).
NOTE: The ambient air temperature must be above -7.0°C (19.4°F) to continue with this procedure.
NOTE: The vehicle must be below 6,800 ft. altitude to continue with this procedure.
5. At this time, perform a Service Regeneration procedure (see Sect. 11–Exhaust>FILTER, Diesel Particulate).
NOTE: This will prevent DPF Regeneration from occurring during the rest of the Healing Procedure.
6. With the vehicle at full operating temperature, (Using the scan tool) Verify that the DEF system has pressurized.
7. Drive the vehicle at steady highway speeds until the Inducement message on the Cluster is no longer present.
NOTE: Typically a drive of 55 MPH or higher on a highway for 60 minutes should be sufficient.
8. The ‘Service DEF’ message on the EVIC will turn off when this DTC has been successfully healed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I had that code "Service def soon see dealer or die" message I added 2gals superS def and drove, it turned off within 100 miles. They can test injectors. Inspect the line for leaks a white powder will show at the leak or a kink in the line. The message will appear for 40 key cycles a cycle is 10 minutes run time, after that an occasional display may happen. If your def was bad per a refractometer or any part of the def system was replaced you need to run a SCR reset per the book. Here's how the dealer resets the SCR.

SCR HEALING PROCEDURE

1. Verify that the DEF Tank level is between 25% and 85% full.
2. Please turn the key off for 45 seconds (Complete after-run).
3. Using the scan tool, go Misc. Functions>Perform ‘DEF Tank Level Reset’.
4. Add 1 gallon of Diesel Exhaust Fluid (to trigger refill detection).
NOTE: The ambient air temperature must be above -7.0°C (19.4°F) to continue with this procedure.
NOTE: The vehicle must be below 6,800 ft. altitude to continue with this procedure.
5. At this time, perform a Service Regeneration procedure (see Sect. 11–Exhaust>FILTER, Diesel Particulate).
NOTE: This will prevent DPF Regeneration from occurring during the rest of the Healing Procedure.
6. With the vehicle at full operating temperature, (Using the scan tool) Verify that the DEF system has pressurized.
7. Drive the vehicle at steady highway speeds until the Inducement message on the Cluster is no longer present.
NOTE: Typically a drive of 55 MPH or higher on a highway for 60 minutes should be sufficient.
8. The ‘Service DEF’ message on the EVIC will turn off when this DTC has been successfully healed.
Ok...good info...they didn't mention doing anything with the DEF or trying to do an SCR healing procedure. Neither did he mention that he "tested" the injectors...just that "they look pretty gummy" and that "he thinks thats what it is". Worth asking about? Last time this happened they let me do the driving and it reset on the highway (different dealership). I had hopes after flushing the tank myself that it would reset but to no avail. I did not drop the tank, just hand pumped it out and flushed with fresh DEF, pumped it out again, and put in another 2.5 gallons of fresh. Its got 30 miles left on the count down. Should I assume the code won't clear until they do a SCR Healing Procedure??? Thanks for this.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
The SCR reset may not be needed but it is there. And the injector test is to run the injector in a marked vial in test mode, it's about 3 minutes long. If 25ml of def or less look for a kink in the line. If 35ml of def or more bad injector. I have not seen the dealer and my light is off I think the see dealer light pops up every now and then but goes away. Get a $15 refractometer I have never found bad def even def that is a year old I have seen the quality off some but well within spec. And you only need a $15 refractometer as it is just a prism with graduated lines. Never tell the dealer anything, ask them for the results of the test looking gummy is not a test. If you tell them something they will use it against you. Looking gummy are campers at a primitive camp site without showers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts