Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody have a good way to install insulation and ceiling cover? our van just bakes under the sun and i am hoping by insulating it and covering it, it will cool it down. Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Others will offer suggestions too, here is mine. Go buy 4-5? sheets of 1” polyisocyanurate insulation board at H-D or Lowes. Pick sheets that are blemish free. It has an aluminized surface. You may want to also pick up a sheet of 1/2 inch hardwood plywood too. While there buy a Great stuff Pro applicator gun and a can of window and door foam. You will need some scrap lumber for bracing but perhaps you can find that at home. Stop at Joann’s Fabric and get 4 or 5 yards of Headliner fabric and one or two cans of headliner adhesive.
Now cut strips of the foam with a mat knife and straight edge that are the same width as the spaces between the ribs of the roof. Run lengthwise small beads of the great stuff on the back of the foam and be prepared with scraps of boards and props to press and hold it up to the ceiling, leave it overnight. You can fill the perimeter with a small bead of the foam while you wait. Repeat for the rest of the sections. Now split the 54 inch wide headliner and spray the Polyiso with the adhesive following directions on the can and have a friend help smoothly install the fabric along the 27 inch wide foam. Lastly cut strips of the hardwood plywood to cover the ribs (which you can fill with foam if you don’t have wires to go in them, finish them with a clear sealer and install them along the ribs with 1” self taping stainless screws. Voila a finished insulated ceiling! See pictures at http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37177&page=3
http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37177&page=6
http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37177&page=7
Good Luck- it makes a nice looking ceiling and is very economical compared to other options!

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
anybody have a good way to install insulation and ceiling cover? our van just bakes under the sun and i am hoping by insulating it and covering it, it will cool it down. Thanks
I insulated my black van ceiling with 2 inches of foam board which gets warm under the sun; still have a small section which is bare and way too hot to touch. Foam board does a great job.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I've done the 1" R-6 polyiso foam board against the ceiling sheet metal, found 5mm foil-foam-foil roll insulation to cut into 12 foot long strips that fill the roof corrugations, slipping them above the roof spars/beam supports.. . Next will be only lining the center 4 feet of ceiling span, cross-furring to add another 1/2 or 3/4" foam board first and then using sheet aluminum or sheet something... Over head lockers and built-ins with interior liner sheets will cover that mess of stamped sheet metal at wall/ceiling interfaces.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Not to nit pic here but the roof to wall transition wasn’t designed for sheet goods and no internal panel covers above the height of the low van are available so we are left with about 10-12 inches to fit and fill and to get a transition to the ceiling. Many here have invented solutions but [email protected], wouldn’t a factory panel be a nice thing? Pull it to insulate and return it to have a nice look, something like the overhead panel above the cab in the HT. I am super happy to have bought the wall panels and they saved me lots of time but "any color you want as long as it is Black?" This isn’t Henry Ford in 1909 is it?

·
Registered
2015 Promaster 3500 159 Ext gas silver
185 Posts
I also have used 1" polyiso boards between the ceiling ribs. First I placed strips of EZ-Cool in the roof corrugations, securing with strips of tape. I then bonded the 1" polyiso using polyurethane construction adhesive (poly CA) and prop sticks. I stayed clear of the roof ribs about 3/4" and filled in with Great Stuff W&D foam using a pro gun. I'm planning on installing a final 1/2" layer of Firestone Isoguard HD Cover Board in large sheets (again using Poly CA). It is a tough material that when painted should make an excellent finish surface. I plan on painting prior to installation.

The walls have 3" of polyiso using both 1/2" and 1" layers bonded with poly CA and with detail foam in gaps where needed. The floor is 3/4" OSB over 1" polyiso.

Each rear wall will have a bonded & pop riveted 1/2" layer of plywood to provide structure to support the rear twin beds and rear of upper cabinets, and also serve as a base for commercial carpet above the beds. All other interior surfaces will receive a 1/2" layer of the Firestone cover foam board. The floor will also have commercial carpet (surplus from a house installation). Most of my foam board came from a local roofing material distributor and the 1/2" GAF from HDepot. The poly CA (PL Premium) came from Lowes in 29 oz tubes. The job so far has used twenty cans of foam and 18 tubes of CA. I found by far the best price on detail foam and gun at AWarehouseFull.com and their service is excellent.

I have included a finish pic of the rough interior but can supply more info if needed. Bill

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Thanks for the reference. I would caution buyers that the claim that the material is R38 at 3/8” is just too good to be correct.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Here is a pic of my mostly finished ceiling with the 1/2" Firestone Cover board glued to the ribs and 1" polyiso board with polyurethane construction adhesive. The coverboard has been painted with satin latex light gray paint. The longitudinal wood strips are pop riveted to the ribs for future cabinet support. Ceiling R factor is around 10.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
1,995 Posts
Hi,
If your van is not white, then painting the roof with some kind of reflective material (white or alum paint) will help with the heat gain. Insulating the windows with Reflectex shades will also help. But, you need some roof, wall and floor insulation to keep the heat gain reasonable.

For me the most challenging thing about the ceiling is that the curvature of the roof where it joins the sidewall is so sharp that you can't really make a thin sheet of hardboard or plywood make the bend. I ended up using wood furring strips near the edges to decrease the ceiling curvature to where hardboard could be bent to the shape. Details here:
http://www.buildagreenrv.com/our-conversion/our-conversion-paneling/

This picture shows the basic idea:

I used about 3/4 to 1 inch of spray polyurethane insulation on the ceiling and this works fine, but if I had it to do over, I'd likely go with the rigid polyiso sheets glued in place with Great Stuff Pro -- same result with less work and anxiety.

Gary

·
Registered
185 Posts
At best maybe 3.8?
Not sure how you are doing your calculations but here is how I get R10. My 'corrugations have strips of EZ-Cool (about 3/16" with 1/8" air gap above) for about R2 or average of R1. I then have 1" of polyiso between the ribs for R6. The ribs are filled with Great Stuff. Then comes the 1/2" layer of Firestone Cover board at R2.5 (polyiso with hard skin). It certainly can be argued that at the ribs the R value is less. But R10 is a pretty good number.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,526 Posts
Two layers of Thinsulate theoretically give me about R10. I lowered the ceiling an inch with wood on the ribs.

My first attempt was with 1" Polyiso. I quickly found that the ribs are not a full inch deep.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts