Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Winter is coming here in the Pacific North so I am finally going to begin the insulation process. I am planning to put 1 inch polyiso board on all the flat surfaces and probably thinsulate for the cracks and gaps. I am going to use some sort of adhesive to attach this all.

Next will be paneling and overhead cabinets. For the walls & overhead cabinetry I will use the hex rivet nuts. My question is about the ceiling.

I did some searching on this forum and it seems most of you are just screwing right into the ribs for attaching the ceiling. I did this very same thing on my previous van conversion.

What have you guys used to attach ceiling paneling other than just screwing right into the ribs? I guess I can just drill holes and add more rivet nuts. Is there a rivet nut or something that fits the smaller square holes in the ceiling ribs? It would be nice if I could attach the overhead cabinets to the ceiling and hang other heavier things from the ceiling.

Please let me know your thoughts and experiences.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I inserted rivnuts- 1/4-20 into the ribs, then bolted in lengthwise running strips of hemlock. I like hemlock for lightness, hardness and clearness- I wanted no knots or possibility of splitting. I used 1x2, 1x4 and 1x8 lumber run front to back in continuous lengths. Then I screwed the 1/8 ply covered with Ozite into these strips.

My approach was to use less than 10 sheet metal screws in the van. All attachments to the van are bolted in place. It's solid and easily removable.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I think rivet nuts definitely are the strongest solution. I might as well go that way since I am using them for the walls.

I inserted rivnuts- 1/4-20 into the ribs, then bolted in lengthwise running strips of hemlock. I like hemlock for lightness, hardness and clearness- I wanted no knots or possibility of splitting. I used 1x2, 1x4 and 1x8 lumber run front to back in continuous lengths. Then I screwed the 1/8 ply covered with Ozite into these strips.

My approach was to use less than 10 sheet metal screws in the van. All attachments to the van are bolted in place. It's solid and easily removable.

·
Registered
814 Posts
A little note . . . the roof crossmembers are not centered . There's about 3/16 production tolerance when they're welded in . The little square and round holes won't line up fore and aft so slot/oversize yours on the headliner.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Unless my ceiling comes does later, I think rivnuts are over kill for a ceiling. A self tapping screw is plenty. In a few places I put a little Loctite pl between the board and ceiling rib to give some extra hold. If I we're putting boards on each rib to screw into I'd just use loctite pl and screws down the entire rib. I just don't like rivnuts. Too easy for them to spin and then you're screwed.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts