Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've decided to use, and purchased a Thetford 403C cassette toilet for my 159 ext. high roof build. I also ordered a Thetford service door 3 model 32144, to cut into the side of the van to access the cassette AND the water fill pipe, from outside, because I don't want to have to service the toilet from inside if possible. The layout puts the toilet/shower on the drivers side towards the front. So, I got the access door and there is NO WAY it will allow access to both the cassette AND filler pipe. I called Thetford, and was told that I have the correct door for the 403C toilet, and if I don't think it will work, to send pictures so they can study the issue?? Has anyone had this problem, and how did you remedy it? I can't believe I'm the only one who has run into this. Frustrations abound, and I haven't even got started, too cold. Thank You for any guidance. Love this Forum!

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow, talk about a senior moment...received a reply from Thetford...it said...open it...and sure enough, the inside frame is large enough, and the latching mechanism goes with the door, to allow access to both the cassette AND the filler pipe, if it is turned to the portrait configuration. I think what confused me is 1- thinking the latching mechanism stayed in the inner frame, and 2- the "rain gutter" on the latching mechanism side would suggest that it goes on top....silly me. Duh! Lesson Learned!

·
Registered
763 Posts
EDIT: problem solved, Good deal!

Thetford literature suggests hinge forward to keep it from becoming a wing.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Anyone else here old enough to remember 8 track toilets (From before cassettes became popular?)
Sorry, couldn't resist.

Reactions: SteveSS

·
Registered
2017 159, w/dual sliders. SF Bay area
1,031 Posts
I'm thinking about the 403c, but I might need to have it serviceable from inside and at a right angle. How much clearance does the tank need to slide out and is it something that could be done if you were at a right angle to the tank?

·
Registered
91 Posts
If it's serviceable from the inside, you might have less trouble using the toilet during the frozen winter.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I was going to suggest that you had the door mounted 90 degrees off! I have this toilet and absolutely love it. Ours is mounted with the cassette door on the inside. I wanted the stealth look from the outside and I don't have any issues with removal.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
My access door is also located on the inside and placed in the rear for access by opening the rear doors. Keeps the stealth factor and if you do a rear bath like so many others, you don't have to cut any holes in the van.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Measurements of cassette

ThomD, I got a couple pics of the cassette being removed from the "body". The 1st is the cassette at a point that it could be turned 90° horizontal. The 2nd is the cassette pulled out enough to allow it to be lifted 90° vertically. Hope it helps.

Attachments

Reactions: ThomD

·
Registered
114 Posts
I also wanted to use a Thetford toilet with external access to the cassette from the back of the van like nebulight did. The C403 would not work for my configuration because I wanted to remove the cassette from the back of the toilet, not the side. The model C200CS looked like it would work but it was not imported to the US so I ordered one directly from the UK via eBay. Here are some photos showing the toilet and access to the cassette by opening the back door. I had to add a continuously running small fan to exhaust stink vapors from the cassette chamber because my interior access door was not sealed well enough. When the cassette is installed in the toilet the integral vent valve is opened allowing the cassette to vent to the enclosure interior and subsequently into the van. The factory access door available for cassette access through the skin of the van takes care of the venting so a fan is not necessary.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,476 Posts
You should put your build thread in your signature line.

·
Banned
207 Posts
Eric, saw your build thread and it's impressive, but you know that !

For those of us preparing to build from scratch soon, I am sure questions will arise.
Seeing that your build was in 2015, I feel awkward asking you you re-visit what you did three years ago.

If you are open to answering build questions to today's new crop of builders please say so.

Again, excellent design work.

Santiago

·
Registered
114 Posts
Eric, saw your build thread and it's impressive, but you know that !

For those of us preparing to build from scratch soon, I am sure questions will arise.
Seeing that your build was in 2015, I feel awkward asking you you re-visit what you did three years ago.

If you are open to answering build questions to today's new crop of builders please say so.

Again, excellent design work.

Santiago
Thanks, I will try to help any way I can. Please post questions on my original thread - I don't want to hijack this topic.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts