Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After going around in my mind from Sprinter to Transit, we've settled on the ProMaster. On paper things just weren't working right with the Sprinter and Transit. Looked at the Transit and just wasn't thrilled with the extra long high roof; too massive. Came back around to the ProMaster.

Got a test drive in with the gasser, quite pleased, drives nice. About a week later my girl and I drove 30 miles south to get a test drive in a diesel. Very nice. I'm hooked.

The plan is for a PM 3500 Diesel, 159" wheelbase, extended. It will be a DIY conversion with a bit more than the basics. Primary use will be for her to take the dogs to agility trials and shows. The two dogs are Italian Greyhounds, thus the vehicle name: House of the Fast Dogs, Casa dei Cani Veloci. Will probably get a nickname for it as well.

Got approved for a loan this week, now its time to place an order. Haven't been able to find anything in the region that is close enough to what we want, so we'll wait. Hopefully not too long.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's the options list that I'm looking at getting. There's not much that isn't getting checked, this is about as maxed out as possible. Ugh... Thoughts, questions, and comments welcomed and appreciated. Please.

From the build at NadaGuides.com:

PROMASTER 3500 HIGH ROOF 159" WB EXT

Bright Silver Metallic

Engine: 3.0L I4 Turbo Diesel
Wheels: 16" X 6.0" Aluminum
Interior Convenience Group
Premium Appearance Group
Trailer Tow Group
Engine Block Heater
Power Folding/Heated Mirrors
Right Sliding Door W/Fixed Glass
Rear Hinged Doors W/Fixed Glass
Radio: Uconnect 5.0 Am/Fm/Cd/Bt
Siriusxm Satellite Radio
Heated Driver Seat
Heated Passenger Seat
Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel
Additional Key Fobs (2)
Speed Control
Parksense Rear Park Assist System
Parkview Rear Back-Up Camera
12V Rear Auxiliary Power Outlet
Upfit Interface Connectors
Driver/Passenger 6-Way Adjustable Lumbar Seats

·
Registered
886 Posts
You nailed the options list :D

The back up alarm, I'm not sure myself how useful it really is. The cam is great. The back up alarm can beep from stuff on it. What stuff, I'm never sure.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Looks good!
Silver metallic is nice. But when you receive your van have a good look at it for blotchy paint.
Some earlier ones were off a bit . I am sure they did adjustments at the factory.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi Zyzzyx,

Looks like Casa dei Cani Veloci is off to a great start!! I, too have ordered a PM to transport my dogs to agility trials! What part of the country does your gal compete in?

My only thought in reference to your list of options is the fixed glass on the passenger slider. Have you considered adding an aftermarket window that is operational for ventilation instead of the fixed glass ?

Good luck on your project....it is a bummer to have to wait for an ordered PM, but I think in the long run it's worth getting what you want. I ordered mine November 3rd and I'm still waiting....hoping for news within the next week or two!!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The back up alarm, I'm not sure myself how useful it really is. The cam is great. The back up alarm can beep from stuff on it. What stuff, I'm never sure.
My girl had me outside behind the van to test it. I walked towards the van, started beeping when I was about 3-4' away. She really liked the combination of it and the backup camera, so we get it. ;)

Looks good!
Silver metallic is nice. But when you receive your van have a good look at it for blotchy paint.
Some earlier ones were off a bit . I am sure they did adjustments at the factory.
Good reminder. My '99 Audi wagon is a silver metallic. I've detailed it many times, I'm quite familiar with the color, should be able to notice any problems, though it may take a ladder.

Looks like Casa dei Cani Veloci is off to a great start!! I, too have ordered a PM to transport my dogs to agility trials! What part of the country does your gal compete in?

My only thought in reference to your list of options is the fixed glass on the passenger slider. Have you considered adding an aftermarket window that is operational for ventilation instead of the fixed glass ?

Good luck on your project....it is a bummer to have to wait for an ordered PM, but I think in the long run it's worth getting what you want. I ordered mine November 3rd and I'm still waiting....hoping for news within the next week or two!!
We're in southeast WA state. Mostly driving over to the west side of WA and OR, or up to Spokane area. Once this is set up, may end up going a bit farther.

And yeah, been thinking of aftermarket window. I know that I want/need a window from the beginning. If we figure later that we want more ventilation, then I'll bust it out at that time, or maybe just add one on the driver's side.

Hmm... nearing 4 months wait. Bummer...

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now trying to decide if we do the email price request to dealers in the region and take a bit more time dealing with that, or just go to our local and look to get something at/below invoice and be happy with it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hey Zyzzyx

I struggled forever trying to decide what to do. I ABSOLUTELY did not want white.

There were no silver or dark silver (what I wanted) within 500 miles. There were Silver vans at 500+ miles but they all had weird packages (partitions, block heaters, crazy stuff) but none of the options I wanted (uconnect, camera, back up, upfitter, etc.), and they wouldn't move on price (oh and they were all 2015's, no 14s left in TDI I could find in silver).

I found a van 10 miles away that was configured very close to what I wanted and I used TrueCar through USAA to get a really great price (the best I could find) with no haggling. They even gave my the $1000 upfitter without having to show a receipt (it came off my total!)

The difference between flying/driving to get a van and the weird options etc + price meant that the price difference for having to have a Silver van was in the $5K range.

I got a white van...

It will get some wheel color and perhaps some tasteful plastidip on the bottom half of the van. It may not be exactly what I wanted, but the color wasn't worth the upcharge compared to the deal I found.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Window

Just FYI, check out Motion Windows...they're in Vancouver, WA. I ordered the operational window for the passenger sliding door from them. Looks like a nice window, and made specifically for the PM.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've looked through the inventory in the region (out to 4-500 miles) and even dealing with <gasp> white, still didn't find one with or without options that we want.

I'm also looking at the delay as a good time to finish the design and start acquiring the parts (insulation, electrical, etc). I'm not ready to start the conversion yet, and we'd rather be paying for a van that's just sitting in the driveway.

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
If you have any desire to be "stealth", as in you would like to park overnight in a neighborhood or city street with less chance of being bothered by law enforcement or homeowners you are parked in front of then WHITE is the color you want.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We'll have no problems parking it at home, plenty of real RVs in the neighborhood parked in driveways.

We're not looking for true 'stealth' camping of rolling into some random place and staying for the night, just don't want it to scream "RV"!!! (though it may end up getting a small a/c unit up top, so there goes that bit) If we're parking on the street somewhere, it'll be at folks we know.

More likely camping for it will be at BLM or Park Service campgrounds; or facilities for dog agility trials which are often fairgrounds or such, and they do have RVs overnighting there.

If I could get the options we want AND a significant discount for being on the lot, I'd go with white. But... not happening. And the silver just looks good, IMO.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also thought of a shorter van name.

K9-B2

Canines, and bikes too. :)

But the full name will still be Casa dei Cani Veloci.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Went to the local dealer tonight. Took in the spec sheet with the options checklist. Currently saying that they'll special order for invoice pricing. I'm OK with that. Though I plan to call two regional dealers tomorrow, see if they'll do significantly better, then take that info back with me. But we agree that buying from the local dealer is worth a bit, since that's where we'll be going for service if'n'when needed.

Right now the diesel option is 'restricted'. Still not exactly sure what that means other than its delayed for some reason. The GM seemed reasonably confident it would be around 11 weeks. I think a bit more realistic than the 6-8 weeks the sales guys were telling me.

Now I really need to get going on the design phase. And research. And purchasing, of accessories. Oh, and cleaning the garage so I have a workspace (for stuff, now way the van would fit in).

·
Registered
444 Posts

Right now the diesel option is 'restricted'. Still not exactly sure what that means other than its delayed for some reason. The GM seemed reasonably confident it would be around 11 weeks. I think a bit more realistic than the 6-8 weeks the sales guys were telling me.

[/QUOTE]
Hmmm, I'm wondering what this means, can you probe them a bit?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts