Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Carrier on rear door hinge

REAR DOOR
I'd like to be able to carry a gas can outside the vehicle.
Does anyone know of brackets or clamps that would work on the PMs rear doors? I'd like to carry the gas can up high, both for safety and because I carry two motorcycles on a hitch carrier.

·
Registered
855 Posts
There are a few threads on this subject . Two things to consider , 1 - the sheet metal is just thick enough to hold the paint on . 2 - imagine the wind whipping the door and junk bolted to it around the side and making big dent impressions of the junk on the side of your nice van. I need to carry more gas but . . .
Your results may vary .

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
2,952 Posts
OP was 2015

I can’t imagine carrying 2 motorcycles on a hitch carrier (IIRC 500lb max tongue weight).

Why not just tow a trailer with 2 motorcycles & secure spare gas cans secured in the trailer?

I agree with @KNDLKSTMS about hanging things & denting the sidewalls with the “junk” or off the thin metal rear doors (other than hanging the paint).

·
Registered
12 Posts
I guess if OP from forever ago was still wanting to do it, i'd be fabbing some brackets that would straddle the upper hinges and attach by way of the frame hinge bolts. Build a crossbar like a Jeep spare tire bracket. In lieu of a latch and hinges, hitch pins would allow swinging in either direction, perhaps split in the middle, but it could be removed and stored when in your home zone

·
Registered
855 Posts
2nd gen Broncos had a big U shaped carrier mounted on the rear structure , and I'd say our rear corners at the hinge area are beefy enough .
IMO I don't see any good way to hang anything substantial on the doors .

·
Premium Member
2016 3500 ext-ht
557 Posts
2nd gen Broncos had a big U shaped carrier mounted on the rear structure , and I'd say our rear corners at the hinge area are beefy enough .
IMO I don't see any good way to hang anything substantial on the doors .
Other than stickers. Been there, done that. Even 60# caused problems.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bronco! That's what I was thinking of.
I'd build it, but I can't afford gas cans when I'm squeezing blood from the amex every two hours at 13mpg. Haha.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts