Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know if it would be ok to bend the flat pieces that meet on the covers for the wheels? I have no idea what they are called. The wheel covers inside the cargo portion of the van meet, outside and inside sections, and have a 1+ inch irregular flat flange type area where they come together. The two pieces don't appear to be attached in any way and I could use that extra space if they could bent over. Undoubtedly this will not be my only bizarre question.

·
Registered
331 Posts
If you're talking about what I think you are, I think you'll be fine bending them out of the way. I'd do so carefully, to not break them off awkwardly or disrupt the seam, but mine have been beat up and point in slightly different directions. I'm debating straightening them or folding them over also. They do have holes that could be used for the walls, but seem unnecessary as an attachment point especially if boxed in. I have a feeling the wheel wells themselves could be manipulated some because they're massive and, again, mine are a slightly different shape than the factory intended already without noticable effect on anything.

·
Premium Member
8,563 Posts
Really? You’d risk a leak that dust, water and mud would come in all the time just to get an inch of extra space? It’s a big van if that inch is so important then risk it but I NEVER WOULD!

·
Super Moderator
8,330 Posts
You seem to be talking about the short (1" high) tabs that basically are there to support the plastic inside trim panels - correct? I don’t see as they provide any other purpose than a back support for the panels and wouldn’t worry about bending them (although I agree with RD - why, just to save an inch inside the wall?)
Perhaps none of us understand just what you’re describing - are these the tabs?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes that's it. In my quest to layer two beds, the twin bed/couch that would go on that wall would be using that space for feet tucked into the double bed on top. That space needs to have comfortable height for someone's legs to be in that "box" created underneath the full bed. Since I'm not quite a spring chicken any longer, I'm trying to keep the vault up into the full bed at a minimum. The wheel covers are already covered by Kilmat and would be inclosed in boxes and insulated, so I'm not too worried about seepage of much getting into the cabin space. I'm attempting to attach a picture of what I'm proposing. The template on the Sportsmobile web site is so helpful!

·
Super Moderator
8,330 Posts
I wouldn’t hesitate to bend them over in that case. But, one does have to do it in a reasonable manner, of course. I see no problem in even cutting them off actually. They are not structural or even particularly sturdy and the only reason they exist (that I can see) is as a backing for the interior panels to clip onto with the plastic xmas tree clips.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts