Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on the fence about cargo vs wagon PMC. I need a cargo vehicle, but the wagon's backseats do fold up into a small footprint..

Anyone prefer one over the other for any specific reasons?
is the loss of extra cargo room very significant in the wagon?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm on the fence about cargo vs wagon PMC. I need a cargo vehicle, but the wagon's backseats do fold up into a small footprint..

Anyone prefer one over the other for any specific reasons?
is the loss of extra cargo room very significant in the wagon?
I didn't need the cargo van,and I went with the wagon slt.A few times I did fold and tumble the rear seats for extra space.When more is needed,the rear seats can be unbolted and removed.I also wanted the extra insulation that comes with the wagon,very quiet on the road.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I didn't need the cargo van,and I went with the wagon slt.A few times I did fold and tumble the rear seats for extra space.When more is needed,the rear seats can be unbolted and removed.I also wanted the extra insulation that comes with the wagon,very quiet on the road.
As tempted as I am by that backseat.. im again leaning toward the cargo van version.. The only wagons available near me arn't near 21k and I'm also trying to keep costs low.

My only regular passenger is my 10y/o 90lb dog. The low loading height in these vans is Perfect for him, but he doesn't like riding in front seats. I'm working on a solution to secure him in the cargo area so he's safe and comfortable. That might relieve some of my concerns about not having a backseat. I'm thinking a big memory foam bed, and strapping his padded vest seatbelt to something stable like this: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/WeatherTech-60010-Tubular-Pet-Barrier/dp/B0007TJ7GW[/ame] Of course, I'd have him right behind me, facing forward and near a window.. and id pad those bars with memory foam as well..

·
Registered
174 Posts
Cargo vs wagon

One issue is the cargo version, as it comes to you, is VERY noisy.
The wagon version has sound insulation from panels and carpet.
We put a horse stall mat in the back that was a perfect fit and quieted things down quite a bit. 2" thick and about $40. It will also keep your dog from sliding around...very comfortable.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We put a horse stall mat in the back that was a perfect fit and quieted things down quite a bit. 2" thick and about $40. It will also keep your dog from sliding around...very comfortable.

Great idea! Definitely on my list!
I took a test drive in the cargo and fell in love!
you can see the difference in cargo space due to the flooring being two different colors on the base model. The black area seems to be what I would lose with the wagon.

For me.. the van i tested was surprisingly quiet. I killed the AC and radio and thought i was going to be in an echo box but to my delight it sounded great. I almost forgot I was in a van.. but then again I've done lots of loud gigs in my day so my hearing might not be as sensitive..

·
Premium Member
8,812 Posts
Download the App "Mimi Test" from Apple's app store or where ever you folk w/o iPhones get apps. It will test your hearing and let you know what that Rock Band (or rock crusher) did to you. If it shows lots of loss you might have a young friend ride to judge the noise level. Or get "Decibel 10th" for an objective test of the van, not your hearing.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm very happy with the wagon. It's quiet and versatile. I've never felt like I was missing out on cargo space, and I've used the back seat to transport people on a few occasions. I stripped out the plastic junk from the cargo area, and laid down some plywood. I've hauled several hundred pounds of sand and cement with no issue.

For me, the availability of a backseat was the #1 reason to buy this van over the competing models, so obviously I like having a seat.

I also like having side windows.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Factory partition, does wonders.
Believe it or not, the PMC actually has very thick foam insulation under the rubber floor. Just pop open the vin door on the passenger side foot area and take a peek.
You typically only get something like that in luxury cars. Heck the Chevy express just has 1/2" carpet pad for insulation and it doesn't even go up the firewall.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts