Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty close to pushing the button on buying a 3500 extended window van. Does anyone have any experience with a conversion on this model? I like that the glass goes all the way around, but am considering the possibility that it will get in the way of the internal construction of the conversion. Would it be better if I just bought the standard cargo van and installed some windows later? I'm not opposed to cutting into the van if I need to, but I just liked the idea of all the windows already being there. Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
10,693 Posts
Go with the window van rather than installing your own. I suspect they are sprung better for camping. The only down side is no opening windows but you could always switch one out later with an opening unit.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,714 Posts
I installed my own, no hassles, but back in 2014 if I could have found a graphite window van I would have bought it... not a lot more $$$ for the window van version.

In the back end of my 159, I put in a toilet/dressing area. I made the plywood walls go all the way up in front of the glass. Covered the plywood with black felt on the side facing the window glass. From outside, you can't see the line so it looks like the window glass was masked in black where the back walls are. Best of both worlds for me...

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
2,127 Posts
Hi,
Had a visit today from David, who had a really nice 159 WB Graphite van with factory windows all around. Looked really nice from the outside and had a very nice, wide open feel from the inside. -- reminded me of the Chinook RVs.

He is just starting the conversion, and one problem is finding a ventilation solution -- he will do a maxfan in the roof, but there needs to be a place for the air to come in, and none of the window will open for ventilation (don't know if you can factory order a window with ventilation?). You can get the factory look windows with ventilation from CRL that match the factory look, so could replace one or two of the factory windows with these, but they are in the $500 area with about $200 freight shipping.

I'd say a lot depends on whether you like the wide open feel and lots of daylight in the inside -- if you do, then the factory windows are probably a good way to go.

Any particular reason for choosing the 3500? Most conversions don't come anywhere near the weight limits of the 1500.
But, I guess you have to do at least the 2500 with the 159 WB.

Gary

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the great info, everyone!
I think I'll go with the window van. I wasn't too worried about the extra light or ventilation (I was already thinking CRL vented window), but was concerned about construction limitations (no place to mount the widgets and flux capacitor. Haha)

Any particular reason for choosing the 3500? Most conversions don't come anywhere near the weight limits of the 1500.
But, I guess you have to do at least the 2500 with the 159 WB.
The 3500 EXT has room for a standard 60x80 queen mattress and a toilet/shower. I haven't seen any 2500 window vans with a bathroom and bed.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Good visit with Gary and got the fan in

The visit with Gary yesterday was quite helpful. Getting there was something else. The area where Gary lives the temp yesterday was 32F combined with some really wet snow. While in Bozeman I was also able to pick up our Nature's Head composting toilet. Today I did get the MaxFan installed, at least the outside work and the wood frame for the inside. Used the adapter from Hein on the outside which worked well. I actually glued the adapter in place with 3M window weld then used that as my template for the metal cutting. I think the flat upper surface of the adapter made cutting much easier than it would have been just riding on the ribbed metal roof.

We talked about the floor plan Gary mentions above and I am seriously giving it some thought. Thinking I could put a cabinet for the sink in front of the door and have back side access to water supply and gray water disposal like one of the other builds here did. Still have insulation to do though so I don't have to decide immediately.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
That galley with the fresh and gray water under in the doorway was mine:

It has proven very handy and I would do it again. I often cook and the Ms. does the dishes with the door open to enjoy where we are parked (often on BLM) where nature is your dooryard!

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
2,127 Posts
The visit with Gary yesterday was quite helpful. Getting there was something else. The area where Gary lives the temp yesterday was 32F combined with some really wet snow. While in Bozeman I was also able to pick up our Nature's Head composting toilet. Today I did get the MaxFan installed, at least the outside work and the wood frame for the inside. Used the adapter from Hein on the outside which worked well. I actually glued the adapter in place with 3M window weld then used that as my template for the metal cutting. I think the flat upper surface of the adapter made cutting much easier than it would have been just riding on the ribbed metal roof.

We talked about the floor plan Gary mentions above and I am seriously giving it some thought. Thinking I could put a cabinet for the sink in front of the door and have back side access to water supply and gray water disposal like one of the other builds here did. Still have insulation to do though so I don't have to decide immediately.
Hi Dave,
Was good to see you in snowy Bozeman.

You should start a build thread for your conversion -- I think its going to be a really interesting one.

Gary

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
RD, what is the function of the vent to the left of the water bottle door?
1. Refrigerator vent. Supposedly not needed on my Norcold NR751 but it saves the fan from having to push the hot air back under the box.
2. Service port to unplug the refrigerator and my galley electrical connectors when I plan to remove the refrigerator or the galley.
3. It used to be a door for #2 but one day in Home Depot I saw this vent.......

1 - 15 of 15 Posts