Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unbelievably my rear cargo lamp went out. I can't find any lit (including the service manual/CD) that states how to replace it. Does the lens just pop out or do I need to remove/pop out the entire lamp housing. If so what's the best way to do it without over muscling it & breakin the freakin thing?

PS: Any bulb upgrades for brighter light without melting the lens available?

·
Super Moderator
10,679 Posts
Carefully pry the whole thing out. It has plastic spring clips on the sides that hold it in as I remember. You might try a plastic pry tool.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine is in awfully tight. Can't believe there is no reference to what should be a simple procedure...

·
Super Moderator
10,679 Posts
I'll try to take a photo for you but I can't do it till Saturday

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Get to those pics? No big deal if yer busy, gettin to that job today. Hopefully I'll figure it out without breaking the **** thing...

·
Super Moderator
10,679 Posts
Could very well be. I don't really see anyway to replace the bulb from the rear if you look at my photos.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So my rear cargo dome light blew out. I remove the toggle lens & take out the burnt out bulb. Go get a LED (Sylvania #578) replacement at AutoZone. Install it & it toggles on & off however it doesn’t illuminate upon entry the way it supposed to & always has.

Prior to this problem if the rear cargo doors or the side slider door were opened the 2 cargo dome lights would light up for approximately 20-30 seconds. If the rear or side door are opened & left opened both cargo dome lights would stay on for approximately 3 minutes before going off automatically. So I take it to the local stealership & run it past them handing the guy the burnt out bulb. Parts guy attempts to look it up & can’t find the replacement part number for the incandescent bulb. He calls Chrysler & tells me they don’t have or carry replacement bulbs that I would need to order the entire light housing!

Flabbergasted, I tell him I don’t need the housing I need the bulb. He looks up my VIN & tells me it’s covered under warranty. I tell him I put a headliner in & it would be much easier to just replace the freakin bulb. He says no replacement bulb exists for my application. Finally I tell him to order the housing & in the meantime I will try to track down a bulb elsewhere.

When I got home I decide to swap out the good slider door cargo light bulb with the burnt out rear to see what happens. Same as the LED I got from AutoZone with the toggle on/off working but no illuminated entry lighting upon opening of the side& rear cargo doors. Now get this, when I placed the good OEM bulb back in the side/slider door it no longer illuminates upon entry of the rear or side/slider doors! Now I have 2 cargo dome lights that don’t turn on when opening the rear or side/slider doors. Any ideas?

·
Registered
810 Posts
wow.... that sounds frustrating... but you have 2 fixtures in the cargo area behind the seats??
I have a 136" low (2014) and only a passenger side slider.
And I have only 1 fixture back there and it resides up and in between the rear doors..
And Yes, with my trusty pocket knife pulled and JUST the lens ONLY came right off...( and back on)!!!
You got 2 fixtures... where are they located.. maybe I got gyped out of one.

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
FLASH,
These lights along with almost any other electrical system in the vehicle is operated through a controller area network (CAN bus) and it knows the bulb is defective/replaced with a nonconforming bulb. I know from shinola what this is but when you replace the bulb with an exact replacement all will work normally. Really!
We have had CAN bus on our BMW motorcycles (Bosch invented this) for 10+ years and we have learned to avoid changing such stuff. When you want to add a farkle you wire it into a new fused bus directly to the battery.

jimmbomb,
And yes high top 136 vans have a second light just to the rear the sliding door. If you added one the CAN bus would not recognize it and it would not turn on. If it was mistakenly ommited the CAN bus would report an error like FLASH has as a missing light is like a blown one.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's very interesting RD. Would really ease my mind if this is true as it seems like the path of least resistance. If the LED replacement bulb route is gonna be that much of a hassle, I can do without them. Problem is where the h*ll do I get an OEM replacement bulb(s)?

PS: JB, yes I own a 159" extended van with a high top roof & they come with 2 cargo light fixtures. One is just above & behind the side/slider door & the other sits just above the rear cargo doors...

·
Registered
258 Posts
The canbus explanation makes sense but there's nothing in the van that alerts you when a bulb is blown. Least I don't think so.

All my extra interior LED strips are wired off the factory dome lights and they work fine.

Take your light apart and inspect it carefully. I seem to remember having a similar issue last year and the problem was because I didn't put the lens back in properly or something...

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
I am willing to be mistaken on the CAN bus but the symptoms seem right. Anyone have a bulb notification in the EVIC? In CAN bus some circuits are only monitored for maximum current: ie. the cigaret lighter sockets, most bulb circuits are monitored for low current so the notice can be given and the circuit can be controlled. I still think replacements are the answer. Try several auto parts websites to see if they have a bulb specified for that application. Is this the bulb?
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,3310241,parttype,10352

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,709 Posts
If you buy an LED replacement bulb, get one that is described as "Canbus error-free". I've seen 'em in Walmart, etc. They include a resistor across the LED so it appears to have the same current draw as an incandescent bulb. Fakes the computer into thinking that its a standard bulb... brighter but saves no electricity because the resistor uses what the LED saves!

I too would suggest a careful look at the socket. It's fussy and tricky to get the bulb seated correctly.

Ed

·
Registered
810 Posts
One of my lisence plate light bulbs came loose a couple of times,
AND the dash display screen told me so. .. thats how i knew it.
and it nagged me about it too.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts