Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a cargo floor mat that isn't soft. I load furniture and need to slide dressers, sofas with feet etc. on to the load floor. I presently have plywood and carpet on floor and when I try to slide items in, they grab on the carpet requiring someone to get in the side door to help it along, a real pain. The mats I have seen seem a little soft, so I'm concern my things wouldn't slide on them either.
I was at my dealer for service recently and saw a factory mat in a stock unit from the factory. It's hard plastic with very small dots on it for some traction. Right up my alley! Checked at parts window, mopar wants 390 for that. Although its just want I want, I wondered if there was a less expensive way to accomplish what I need. (thought of putting floor tile on my plywood, but don't think it would stay put, or not stay flat.) I tried just plywood and it doesn't hold up at all.

any suggestions appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
10,493 Posts
Have you tried covering the plywood with some kind of sheet vinyl flooring? There are all grades and qualities out there.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've used 3/4 inch particle board in all my cargo vans for years with no problems...Skids are easy to load and unload...a little too slick until it gets worn in a little though.

·
Registered
428 Posts
mberk4 -- I have the factory mat that you describe as it came with my 2015 PM. I liked it so much I incorporated it on top of my insulated plywood floor in my DIY camper van. It is very durable, easy to clean with a bit of soap and water, non-skid because of the pebble finish, and it still looks new after almost 2 years.

·
Super Moderator
10,493 Posts
I covered my factory floor up right away. Too slippery and cold. It's not really plastic but some kind of resin impregnated fiberboard stuff. Probably good for expediters but campers - NO! I wouldn't recommend anyone ordering it for a conversion or as an aftermarket addition. It's huge I can't imagine the shipping cost alone much less the overpriced cost of it. Go with particleboard it's cheap and slippery just use ¾".

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
Get a good quality plywood as that is more resistant to moisture in 3/4". Paint it with Porch and Deck enamel over a primer and when it scratches, touch it up or repaint it. I am not a fan of particle board, MDF, OSB, or the treated versions of them either. I have 1/2” plywwod over 1/2” polyiisocanuarte for my conversion floor with cheap replaceable carpet stapled for barefoot comfort.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,682 Posts
This may sound strange, but if you can empty your van, and if you have access to a dealer with remnants and installers, you might look into Marmoleum, the modern equivalent to linoleum. IIRC, the remnant which more than covered my 136" was about $100. Since color probably won't matter to you, you can choose the cheapest one--I turned down the $80 red piece. It must be bonded to the ply with their mastic--which is where the installer comes in. Since I needed so little, the installer loaned me his left-over bucket and asked me to return what was left.

In addition to being attractive, this stuff is smooth and wears like iron. I could see it working well for your application.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts