Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a 159" high roof, either the 2500 or the 3500, for an eventual RV conversion. I'm really interested in the possibility of the cargo divider option, but I get such different spatial vibes when I stand in a space (vs just visualizing it) that I want to find an actual van that has the cab divided from the cargo area before I decide whether to get this option or not. But I can't seem to find any near me, or maybe I just haven't found the right vehicle search engine. This morning looking via a Dodge site online, I found one nearby dealer that had 5 2500's on their lot, supposedly 4 with cargo dividers and 1 without. I made an appointment and showed up, only to find out none of them actually had this option. Does anyone have suggestions about how to find a van with cargo divider to preview?

·
Super Moderator
10,544 Posts
Not sure why anyone would even consider this unless they were building a dual purpose camper to live in and carry "toys" at the same time. At any rate they are available for next to nothing in the secondary market (eBay, Craigslist, etc) people are either stuck with them and want to get rid of them or a few, such as yourself, seem to need them. This is about the last thing you should be taking into consideration when buying a van for conversion to a camper. IMHO. No need for a 3500 over a 2500 either unless you plan on carrying a lot of excess things with you. Most people don't even come close to overloading with a 2500 much less a 3500 and many here are more than satisfied with a 1500. Personally, I would have loved to be able to get a 1500 over a 2500 but if you want a long, tall you are forced to get the 2500.

·
Registered
888 Posts
In my opinion, the biggest reason dealers stopped ordering them with cargo divider, is they don't allow big Americans to fit in van comfortably. That partition severely limits seat travel.

You are better off building your own slightly farther back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In my opinion, the biggest reason dealers stopped ordering them with cargo divider, is they don't allow big Americans to fit in van comfortably. That partition severely limits seat travel.

You are better off building your own slightly farther back.
Dwight, I've read in the forum that the partition prevents reclining the seat much at all. I hadn't considered that perhaps it also limits full travel when adjusting the entire seat farther away from the dash. Does anyone know?

My thought with the partition is to aid me in keeping driving/errand running dirt/particles out of the living area in the back - I have some pretty tough allergy issues. I've thought of hanging a curtain, tho that's not the greatest for keeping particles separated. I hadn't considered building my own partition. I like the sound of slightly farther back. Because of the allergy issues I'd like to avoid wood and any plastics that have much outgassing, but I don't have welding skills or knowledge. Certainly could have someone else do the work. I haven't run into forum threads where people have done this. Have I missed them?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No need for a 3500 over a 2500 either unless you plan on carrying a lot of excess things with you. Most people don't even come close to overloading with a 2500 much less a 3500 and many here are more than satisfied with a 1500. Personally, I would have loved to be able to get a 1500 over a 2500 but if you want a long, tall you are forced to get the 2500.
You raise some good points. It's not overloading so much as an intangible sense of space (or lack thereof) that Im concerned with. I don't want to end up regretting the lack of it every time I use the (future) RV. When standing in the 1500 cargo area, I felt totally cramped. I know some would feel fine, that's just me. I'm a big one for large windows, and I have trouble visualizing how I'll feel living in a space during long trips without being able to see out the (as yet nonexistent) windows when I preview the vans. The 2500 cargo space felt just big enough to me, but when I stood in the 3500 space I suddenly felt such peace - the same peace I feel when inside anywhere and can see out a window into the distance. Call it my own personal quirk, but I've learned over the years that being able to find that sense when I'm inside is really important to my wellbeing. I consider the high roof a necessity for ease of living. I'd always have to bend my head or scrunch down some and even so I'd still be having my head hit the roof.

·
Super Moderator
10,544 Posts
The only difference between the 2500 and 3500 is weight carrying capacity. Are you talking about an extended 159? I believe they only come as a 3500 but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,709 Posts
Interesting. Two years ago, I had trouble finding one without the partition.

OP, the first time you need to camp in the cold/rain, you will understand why we are dissing the partition.

·
Premium Member
8,834 Posts
One great thing about our VW Westfalia was that you could walk from the front into the back to camp. We replaced it with a pickup and slide in camper and hated getting out and going back to camp, it just seemed so inconvenient. Our 1500 HT is like a bigger Westy with lots more room and carrying capacity. Our conversion probably weights 700 lbs. not near the 4000 lbs we are allowed in a 1500. Our short 136 is plenty of room for a conversion and a curtain can be drawn to separate the cab from the camper which we saw in KOV’s van and copied. With the money we saved buying the 1500 136 we opted for the diesel -about the best combination of drive, mileage, power, and transmission available in any vehicle today. I think you are focusing on the wrong issue. Good luck keep looking, you will find the van you want.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you can, get one without the partition. The Promaster partitions limit the seat back travel as someone has already stated and Ive never seen a stock one with a door. If you decide you need on at a later date, the after market ones have side extenders to push it back. Some offer a sliding door instead of a swinging door. Much nicer as there is always something in the way of the door when I want to open it. Im speaking from experience on the last 5 vans Ive owned. I almost bought a 2016 promaster in October but the dealer tried some funny business at the last moment after he agreed on a price and I told him to keep it then. Im looking at a 2017 that has more options, and no partition at a lesser price. Look around..Im glad I waited

1 - 10 of 10 Posts