Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience / recommendations for a rooftop cargo box that's quiet and not too harsh on gas mileage?

I'm doing a camper conversion of a 2017 PMC Tradesman and need space up top. I've ordered the rails available from the British seller on eBay.

The box needs to be a little bit taller than the thinnest "bullet" boxes. For my work I need to drag around display cases, and when stacked up with foam between them, they amount to a rectangle that's roughtly 36"L x 25"W x 20"H.

To make it more complicated, I'd like to save enough space up top to also fit a solar panel on the rack.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you split the stack and went side-by-side, you could go 36"w, 50"l, 10"h?

That would get you a really low-profile thing that would fit between the rails. You could build a box for that, and mount the solar on the top of the box.

Also, welcome to the Austin promaster club!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wound up with a 18 cubic foot cargo box, the smallest box that would fit my needs, but a much larger box than what I'd hoped for. The dimensions quoted by the car top carrier companies are pretty much useless, as they only describe the box at its point of maximum circumference.... for the rest of the box, the width and height will be less.

No space on the roof for a decent sized solar panel anymore ... have a crazy thought about a semi-flexible one adhered to the top of the box, but we will see...

I've started the conversion and will start a separate thread.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
I went with a Yakima Skybox 12, Rola roof rack, and can fit a 100W flexible solar panel. The Rola rack allows the box to attach outside the mounts, providing more space. The solar panel is the thin, flexible type, fixed to the roof (not the rack) so I can still have bikes or SUP boards.

Van conversions take a long time...

Steve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts