Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use my PMC as a camper RV. As summer has approached, it has been getting too hot to sleep in there. I'm looking at a Fantastic or Maxx Air RV power vent. That requires a 14 x 14 hole! I'm not all that excited about cutting that big a hole into my new PMC. I've also found a smaller 6.25 round power vent that might work. Anybody have experiences to share regarding cargo area ventilation?

(I know that running a power vent will chew up the battery, so I plan to run it off of a Yeti solar generator and panel.)

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
rich,

Before finding a low profile fan, (but still 14" square vent) I was planning on putting a vent in each rear door. I bought these: (taped in place for visual look)

These have a flap to allow air out, and with a few computer cooling fans, you could probably run two off a small portable solar panel directly. If you're interested, I have 2 brand new available at a reasonable price. Depends on the color of your City too.

ed (from the big Promaster side of the forum!)

·
Registered
12 Posts
My plan is to make air flow units that I roll down the front windows to install.

I'm thinking of overlapping the window 4" with a sandwiched bug screen inside with holes drilled through both pieces.
I like the idea of a computer fan. I was thinking of a USB fan. Run off a portable cell phone charger battery.

I want a big fan but not this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
Another idea: fantastic air portable amazon $70. Comes w 12' cord.
Euro camper louvered metal and screened vents. Have been using this setup for 3 summers expediting.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Curious what you finally did? I own a 2018 and I went crazy on mine. Not only cut the 14" hole for a Maxxair fan between sliding doors but also cut a 6" hole in the back under a rigid solar panel as an exhaust. I love my setup and I have tons of information about this van after messing with it for the last year and 1/2.

I was not shy about cutting and bending. I cut and bent my battery tray to squeeze in a 115AH deep cycle dual purpose battery. i cut access holes in the side panel inside and found a treasure of storage space. I welded supports on the roof for a 100 watt rigid solar panel.

The end result is a van I've used to work remote and sleep in during off-grid projects for weeks at a time so it's been worth every penny.. but I think if i were doing it again I might do a few things differently and skip some things I did.

The main reason I upgraded my battery was so i could run a 12v fridge in the back during the hot summer days and so i could run my corded power tools and 1000 watt electric kettle from a 1200 watt inverter i run under my driver side seat connected to my giant starter battery with 3' 1 gauge cables . Had I just switched to cordless tools and a portable gas stove i think I could have skipped all that.

As for the roof fan, installed a Maxxair because it's quieter than Fantastic, but those fans consume like 35 watts and I have since learned that a 9" 5v USB fan (like OPolar) only consumes 4 Watts and pushes a lot of air. Also, understanding the body of the PMC, there is an opportunity (INSTEAD) to drill 5" vent holes under the van right where the side doors start and mount some 9" USB fans inside on the wall on each side for IN and OUT and only costing only 8 watts of power for a lot of air flow. Untested but I think that would be more than enough ventilation. With a cheap 250 Watt Hour Lithium battery unit (like Jackery) you could run those for around 30 hours without charging. And you could certainly charge that battery from a cigarette lighter or a small dash or roof mounted solar.

You can find some videos on my build if you search Youtube for "Cyberpine"

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wow, I like your ideas. Keeping it simple is what I am after. I would be a little concerned about possible water migration coming up through the lower vents. Road spray seems to defy gravity.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts