Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 Diesel PM. Bought used from private seller with roughly 40xxx miles on it. Currently has just under 70xxx. I have just recently started driving it regularly in a city environment and am realizing that the parking situation is a big issue. It has become almost impossible for me to park because I can not prevent it from rolling.

The parking brake has been pretty useless since I bought it, I've had to pull the lever all the way up to where my leg is on the driver seat and it still feels "loose". I recently started leaving the van in "Drive" when parking and even that does not prevent rolling on minor inclines or slopes. I'm getting by with very selective parking spots, wheel chucks, and leaving it in drive, but it's a huge hassle and I won't be able to maintain this system for long.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Would this be a replacement of the parking brake cable or the parking shoes on the rear wheels..or both? I'm on a very limited budget so a mechanic is the last resort. Thanks for any tips!

·
Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
872 Posts
First thing you have to do is try adjusting the parking brake. Search for instructions and see if that works.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Although I have no direct experience, my understanding of how the diesel's transmission works is that the computer will always shift to neutral when you turn the key off. Consequently, you should expect no resistance to rolling from the engine when parked as you would with a manual-transmission vehicle when left in gear. You have to rely solely on a properly-functioning parking brake.

Can any diesel owners confirm or dispute my theory?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Although I have no direct experience, my understanding of how the diesel's transmission works is that the computer will always shift to neutral when you turn the key off. Consequently, you should expect no resistance to rolling from the engine when parked as you would with a manual-transmission vehicle when left in gear. You have to rely solely on a properly-functioning parking brake.

Can any diesel owners confirm or dispute my theory?
That's interesting, I had not heard this before. It would definitely explain why keeping it in drive seems to offer no extra braking resistance lol. I'm going to look into this more, thanks!

·
Registered
2016 136WB low roof diesel, converted to an RV by Sportsmobile, TX
443 Posts
Actually, the diesel should be left in drive when shut down - engine resistance is part of the "belt and suspenders" redundancy on parking. In fact, my 2015 gets quite belligerent if I dare have it in neutral when turning off the engine. (that's also why diesel owners cannot get a remote start option: the van's supposed to be in drive when parked and shut off, and that means remote start won't work).

As others have shown, you may need to adjust the parking brake cable, as it may have stretched a bit. Just be careful to not over-tighten it such that the brakes are always applied. I would suggest jacking up the back, and spinning the wheels with the brake off to make sure they run free.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wowbagger- That is also very interesting. I'm curious though, if the diesels are supposed to be left in drive when shut down, why does the screen always prompt you to put it in neutral?

Great advice on jacking up the back, I will make sure to do this if it appears adjustment is the route to go. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that there are also adjustment points at each of the rear shoes, and that it was best to make adjustments at those locations first. Can you confirm or deny? Thanks for the help

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another thing that just occurred to me- is there supposed to be a light on the dash when the parking brake is engaged? If so, mine doesn't even trigger the light.

I'm anxiously waiting to get off work so I can start troubleshooting.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Wowbagger- That is also very interesting. I'm curious though, if the diesels are supposed to be left in drive when shut down, why does the screen always prompt you to put it in neutral?

Great advice on jacking up the back, I will make sure to do this if it appears adjustment is the route to go. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that there are also adjustment points at each of the rear shoes, and that it was best to make adjustments at those locations first. Can you confirm or deny? Thanks for the help
Mine says to put it in neutral to start, and most definitely says to leave it in drive when shutting down.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Put it in 1st or reverse not D.
With the AMT, you put it in drive - there's no need to put it into manual and select first, as the computer will do that for you, so long as you select D.

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts