Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just can't seem to figure this one out. I have tried to get out of the van multiple time with the engine running. But every time I do i can hear the cargo doors and passenger door unlocking. How can I exit the van with it running and secure all the doors? I have tried pushing the lock all doors on the extra key-fab but that does nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Not sure you can. I'm thinking they are trying to prevent you from locking your keys inside.

I wonder if adding an aftermarket remote start would be the only way (i.e. start it after already locked)?

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,828 Posts
Something is not adding up. A while back, there was a long thread with folks complaining about the cargo doors staying locked when they got out of the cab.

·
Super Moderator
8,990 Posts
Try locking the drivers door with you key when you get out. You can lock all the doors from inside when the van is not running with the switch under the radio (beside the flasher switch) as I do it always while sleeping.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Try locking the drivers door with you key when you get out. You can lock all the doors from inside when the van is not running with the switch under the radio (beside the flasher switch) as I do it always while sleeping.
Dude! It seems to me that how the door locks work on the PM is something of a black art, akin to alchemy or the lost mysteries of the cult of Athena. I've been fighting with it for 6 months now, and I have no idea exactly how they work. The bottom button on the fob claims to unlock the back and side door, but it doesn't work if the ignition is on. It also only occasionally unlocks the side door. The button on the dash sometimes blinks when locked, and is sometimes solid red when locked. The buttons on the doors either unlock the doors or unlock the back, based entire on either the cycles of the moon or the stock market. Reading the manual only makes it worse!

Reactions: Beate Fischer

·
Super Moderator
8,990 Posts
I think your have it all figured out! Now, has anyone figured out what the red flashing light on the drivers door means?;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mine is always red on the door when the doors are locked. Flashing means that the doors aren't closed all the way. Should tell you on the screen that a door is open.

When I open the drivers door after I **** the truck off, the passenger door and drivers door unlocks. But, the back one and side one doesn't. I have to hit the unlock on the door, the fob or the center button to get them to unlock. How do I get the sides and rear to unlock at the same time I open the drivers door?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sorry, I must have miss typed the word shut......

·
Registered
26 Posts
On my audi my remote quit working even with the key out of the ignition because the contact in the ignition switch that tells the ECU that the key is out failed. The doors can't be locked with the key in the ignition. The cure was to clip off and loop the wires on the ignition switch that performed that function. Now the remote function perfectly and I can also lock my keys in the car anytime I want.

·
Registered
747 Posts
My 1997 Honda Accord 'Super Nanny' function requires the drivers' outside handle to be 'lifted' while pressing the drivers door manual lock button to accomplish a four-door locking with keys in the ignition lock...

Just saying maybe they've done something similarly clever?

·
Registered
810 Posts
Ok.. here's how i did it.
The van is running with the key in and I'm outside locked out with all doors locked.
Here's how i pulled it off..
Hopped in the drivers seat.
Key in and started it up..
Hit the "lock door" button on the dash and the drivers door.
Red lights came on.
I slid into the back of rhe van via between the seats.
Exited the van thru the rear door passenger side only.
With an extra key fob, manually locked the rear door from the outside.
BAM.. all doors locked.. key in the ignition. .motor idling..no one inside..
Extra keybob then unlocked the front doors with the front door unlock button.
Mines a 136 wb low roof.
Try it. It worked for me.
good luck

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ok.. here's how i did it.
The van is running with the key in and I'm outside locked out with all doors locked.
Here's how i pulled it off..
Hopped in the drivers seat.
Key in and started it up..
Hit the "lock door" button on the dash and the drivers door.
Red lights came on.
I slid into the back of rhe van via between the seats.
Exited the van thru the rear door passenger side only.
With an extra key fob, manually locked the rear door from the outside.
BAM.. all doors locked.. key in the ignition. .motor idling..no one inside..
Extra keybob then unlocked the front doors with the front door unlock button.
Mines a 136 wb low roof.
Try it. It worked for me.
good luck

But how do I get all doors to unlock when I turn the vehicle off and open the drovers door? It will only unlock the passenger door

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,828 Posts
Hit the button on your fob.

It has been pointed out that this is actually a good feature for cargo vans that are sometimes in dicy areas. If everything unlocked, someone could be off with some of your stuff before you could stop them.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Or hit the button thats 3 inches from your door handle as you exit your van. Make a habit of hitting the button and fingering the handle in the same motion.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yeah that's what I have been doing is hitting the unlock on the door. It just took some getting used to.or I could disable the auto locking feature via the menu on the center screen...but I like the locking feature because of the crazies that may be out there and try to open the doors while in traffic....

·
Registered
424 Posts
Am I the only one who isn't trying to make the locks do something that they're designed not to?

I have no issue with the central locking system.

If the van is parked and locked and I want into the front, I press the "passenger area unlock" button on the remote and I can get in. If I want into the cargo area, I press "cargo area unlock" and I can get in. If I'm up front and want into the back, I press the unlock button on the dash. When I'm done and walking away, I press "lock" on the remote. That's it!

If the outside lights flash 9 times quickly in succession when attempting to lock it, it means one of the doors isn't properly latched.

With regards to the topic at hand, I'm not trying to lock my keys inside with the engine running, which the system is designed to not let you do.

·
Super Moderator
8,990 Posts
I have to agree with you Brian. I'm not sure why anyone would want to be able to lock the van from outside with the engine still running but obviously some people want to or need to! The only time I lock the van is when I'm either sleeping in it at night or I park it somewhere on the street or in my driveway at night.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts