Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,680 Posts
It would make a lot more sense to move the location of your skylight than destroy the integrity of your roof! That also may be the location of a seam in the roof which, if so, would be disastrous.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,829 Posts
The answer is no.
I agree. However, I suspect the pros do so with impunity because they know how. The upfitter guide gives instructions even for cutting and bridging the major beam above the windows.

The first problem I see is that the vibration of cutting the hole might destroy the integrity of that glued crosswise seam.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Can I remove this piece of metal (red arrows in pics) that's reinforcing the ceiling of my 2017 PM 2500 159" in order to install a skylight? I'm referring to the boxed piece that runs from side-to-side along the ceiling.
That piece isn't in my van so I'm assuming you have a longer van. In that case the factory engineers thought it was needed so my vote would be no.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
428 Posts
I am confused as it appears that picture 2 points to a different beam than in pictures 1 and 3. I assume that you mean the one shown in pictures 1 and 3. In any event I would not remove it for reasons mentioned in the earlier posts.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,593 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,492 Posts
Someone on this forum did when they put a roof top ac in. Pop top campers cut the ribs. If you do cut the rib make 2 tee braces to span the two ribs on either side and the one you cut. I'm not knowledgeable about the roof ribs but the one you point out looks like it is there to prevent cavitation of the roof. But it could be there for other reasons.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OOPS! Only PIC 2 is accurate. It's a piece that does not run along a seam.

The ceiling will be reinforced by the frame of the skylight and a wood tongue and groove ceiling. I'm wondering if those two things, but mainly just the tongue and groove, are enough to counter the effect of removing the piece in PIC 2.

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
buck- you have our advice but it sounds like you are rationalizing a way to do it anyway. Go ahead, it’s your van, but later we want to know how it worked out, or not.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,829 Posts
OOPS! Only PIC 2 is accurate. It's a piece that does not run along a seam.

The ceiling will be reinforced by the frame of the skylight and a wood tongue and groove ceiling. I'm wondering if those two things, but mainly just the tongue and groove, are enough to counter the effect of removing the piece in PIC 2.
If there's no seam there, I am much less concerned.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts