Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Diesel that will be reaching the end of the factory warranty in the next few months. Is it possible to buy an extended powertrain warranty from FCA to cover the expensive bits related to engine and emissions? I'm in Canada and our powertrain warranty was 5 years/100,000km. I have no engine/emissions issues but I am planning to take it in soon to have the glow-plugs changed in the event I need a new head. I'm at 94,000km and in-service date is December 2015.

Thanks
Shaun

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks JA. I called the Canadian number at 1-800-465-2001 to start the process. Which is to take it to a dealer and they will they me the various options based on an inspection of the vehicle (at my expense). I fear it will be very expensive, but based on the coverage and the cost I will make my decision. I'll update this thread when I find out more info. I also understand that the pricing is negotiable, so if anyone has experience they can share please do.

Shaun

·
Premium Member
2018 159 High Roof gas, BC, Canada
1,404 Posts
I'm curious what you find too. I didn't purchase an extended warranty when I bought my van new. I was kind of on the fence about it (i.e., I wasn't hard against it).

I drive my van carefully and maintain it properly and am hoping it will last. But am slightly worried about a serious engine/drivetrain problem. If the additional warranty was cheap, I'd pick it up, but I'm not sure what the costs could be.

Since I use my van like an RV and am a fair-weather traveler, an oddball situation with Covid is that I could have zero miles racked up on it for the entirety of 2020. Basically, I will "waste" an entire year (and associated mileage) off my factory warranty obligation... :-(

Reactions: Deryn

·
Super Moderator
10,635 Posts
Ran sends me solicitations about extending the factory warranty all the time!

·
Premium Member
2018 159 High Roof gas, BC, Canada
1,404 Posts
Ran sends me solicitations about extending the factory warranty all the time!
I was hoping I'd get some of these. I was expecting them near the end of my 1st year's ownership, perhaps with some sort of killer deal. But alas, I didn't get a single one.

·
Premium Member
2016 3500 ext-ht
495 Posts
I am curious what repair/warranty options are available beyond 100k miles. My max care will expire in 6k miles.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I can only speak to US market. But yes, they are somewhat negotiable as long as it is within state rules but a dealer may hold at MSRP. For example, when I lived in Florida- these are viewed as an insurance plan and by law, the MSRP is the price. SO dealers could not negotiate. I moved, and was able to get a dealer in another state to give me a great deal on mine. Since I'm not full time, I did a 7yr/75k full wrap warranty. I needed time more than mileage and it was about $1600 if I remember correctly.

As for the inspection: the dealer will likely do this free on the hope you buy the plan through them, but it's worth calling into the dealership. I bought my plan site unseen from the selling dealer. However, I get all my service done at dealerships so it got a multi-point inspection just days prior.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts