Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!
I am trying to finish up figuring out my "kitchen" build but I'm stuck at the microwave question so I was hoping you all can help... I stare at all these amps and watts and my eyes are going crossed!
I really want to have a small microwave in the van, mainly for warming up stuff: up to 10 minutes work per day... I have a solar set up, 295 watts so far but I I'll be adding another 175 w panel soon. They power a Goal Zero battery set up, which have 1200Wh (100Ah) capacity and an integrated 1200W pure-sine wave inverter... Can that run a 600 w microwave? Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,661 Posts
My 700W microwave was marginal with one 100Ah AGM battery. Added a second and it made a big difference. Mathematically it works, but not necessarliy in real life with inefficiencies, resistance, etc.

It's worth a try.. either it will work, shut down the MW or inverter, or drag the battery down too much and not work.

If you had a system where the battery charged from the van alternator, you could eek out more power by running the van while cooking, but it's not optimal...

·
Registered
565 Posts
I second MsNomer's suggestion. You have enough solar for at least 200ah of batteries already, adding more panels is going to be a waste without the ability to store the energy they collect.

·
Registered
117 Posts
A couple of things about the GoalZero 1250. It is an AGM battery, which means that you shouldn't plan on deep discharges - so you won't get 1250 Watt Hours total out of it. The good news is that you can daisy chain another AGM battery (up to 175 amps) to it and you just need a cable to do that..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A couple of things about the GoalZero 1250. It is an AGM battery, which means that you shouldn't plan on deep discharges - so you won't get 1250 Watt Hours total out of it. The good news is that you can daisy chain another AGM battery (up to 175 amps) to it and you just need a cable to do that..
Thank you! I didn't know I can chain up another battery to it, really? Can I? That would be grand. Does it have to be another goal zero, or just another car battery?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thank you! I didn't know I can chain up another battery to it, really? Can I? That would be grand. Does it have to be another goal zero, or just another car battery?
It doesn't have to be another Goalzero but it does need to be a deep cycle AGM battery. So, not a car battery.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you guys! Thanks msnomer for the encouragement, and JohnnyRambles and Wnybiker for the wisdom. This has been extremely helpful: I have purchased another 100 ah battery , even found a Gola zero chaining cable on eBay ( they are all sold out on the website!) and I'm excited to expand my battery power. I was starting to regret my goal zero purchase, though I did get a really good deal on it, got it used...Super happy that I can still expand!
I do have a last question though: am I limited to 200ah ( 100 gz, 100 another battery) or can I eventually add more? Thanks so much. I've tried to learn all this electric stuff several times, but it always gets confused into an electric soup in my head after a few days and I have to go relearn it again... Ack!

·
Registered
2019 136wh hr ProMaster, Tx
108 Posts
Have GZ Yeti 1400 w/ 700w microwave works fine for my needs. I mainly use it for making omelets in the morning and for reheating meals. I have 260w of solar.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thank you guys! Thanks msnomer for the encouragement, and JohnnyRambles and Wnybiker for the wisdom. This has been extremely helpful: I have purchased another 100 ah battery , even found a Gola zero chaining cable on eBay ( they are all sold out on the website!) and I'm excited to expand my battery power. I was starting to regret my goal zero purchase, though I did get a really good deal on it, got it used...Super happy that I can still expand!
I do have a last question though: am I limited to 200ah ( 100 gz, 100 another battery) or can I eventually add more? Thanks so much. I've tried to learn all this electric stuff several times, but it always gets confused into an electric soup in my head after a few days and I have to go relearn it again... Ack!
I don't see why you couldn't add more, when you connect batteries in parallel you are essentially making a bigger battery, the voltage stays the same but the capacity is increased. The only issue will be if you can charge the bank quickly enough for it to be practical.

Do you have a manual for your device? It probably gives some guidelines on adding batteries.

·
Registered
117 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts