Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since buying my 2017 136 wb a couple months ago, I have been unable to refill my gas thank all at once.

I have had this problem at multiple gas stations and I have never had this problem with my other vehicles at these same gas stations.

Sometimes I can get 5 or so gallons in before the nozzle shuts off like it is full.

Then it pretty much does not let me put any more gas in.

I have tried filling slower and also not putting the nozzle in as far but it has not solved the problem.

As a possible related question, what is the purpose of the rubber around the gas fill hole?

Thanks

·
Registered
529 Posts
Sounds like you may have a pinched/plugged vent line on the fuel tank.

·
Super Moderator
10,142 Posts
It’s pretty typical on my ‘14 I have always had the same problem in almost 100k miles. I can usually fit at least 6 more gallons in after it shuts off. It’s a real PITA!
Pumping really really slow is the only solution

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
The tank is made so the fill tube enters near the bottom of the tank and the fuel entering must displace the amount in the fill pipe which is up to the level in the tank. Early builds like KOV’s had this issue often. It is probably a vent issue and your dealer should be able to test and correct it.
My diesel fills fine. The fuel foaming sometimes experienced in other vehicles and in fuel cans is absent.

·
Super Moderator
10,142 Posts
I haven’t heard about a vent tube redesign but there have been fewer complaints about this in the past year so I guess they did something.

One big factor is the type of pump nozzle. I just left CA and it was a bigger problem there with their vapor recovery pumps for sure!

·
Registered
627 Posts
We've had this problem but to a lesser extent (2016 gas) - - not infrequently shutting-off 5+ gallons shy of full. We assumed it was normal and a function of the nozzle. Fortunately most nozzles can be 'modulated' and with enough patience we get the tank full (indeed, in view of the comparatively small size of the tank, we fill until fuel is visible in the filler tube - - this assures a minimum of 2 extra gallons.)

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
I have had this problem on and off on my 2014. You are correct, it's a pain in the ass when it happens.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Winston; I have had experience with over filling of gas tank with bad results down the road. You are looking at replacing your carbon canister, which can be very expensive, with overfilling you gas tank. Emission controls for gasoline vapors have a carbon canister in the system and when it gets too much gas liquid, it plugs and you can only fill about 5 gallons and then it shuts off. Then you can only add small amounts of gas at a time until you have a full tank of gas. I am not sure if the carbon canister is very low in the system but overfilling will raise its head down the road.

MLogan
2017 Trend
Smyrna, TN

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,436 Posts
Disconnect the fresh air tube from the canister and then try to fill up. If you can fill up then you know the fresh air tube is plugged. You will have to find the other end of the fresh air tube I think it terminates in the engine compartment and blow air through it. You can disconnect the vapor tube from the fill tube at the canister and see if you can fill up. Check engine will lite with the vapor tube disconnected. With the tube disconnected from the canister you can pressurize the gas tank to blow the vapor tube out. Reconnect all tubes after testing. Here's the parts the fresh air tube should be at #4 in the diagram.
https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/par...trols-vapor-canister-leak-detection-pump.html

·
Registered
468 Posts
i have this problem with my 2016 if i have the nozzle all the way in. if i pull it out slightly it seems to correct it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
We travelled across the country last fall and I got in the habit of using low setting on the pump handles so I had enough time to wash the windows. But in some states (looking at you, CA) and at some brands, I was never able to fill the tank. My old Ford Diesel had this problem too. I learned to accept it. And contemplate what it will be like to wait for a battery charge on the EVs we will be facing.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
I understand you have accepted it but that doesn’t need to be. Mine fills at full speed, is nearly full when it shuts off, and has never bothered like yours.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Mine has done it on rare occasion.

My crazy theory, hot day, hot vapors in tank, pumping cold gasoline. I pumped gas slow until cool gas cooled tank, then I was able to accelerate pumping.

Never does it in cold weather.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I have had experience with over filling of gas tank with bad results down the road. You are looking at replacing your carbon canister ...
Mmmm... I remember that canister rusted out very quickly on our old gas Ford E350. It was literally just a big tomato juice can full of carbon gravel. I just bypassed the bugger. And I still top up our diesel VW Jetta using a long, slow flow to manage foaming. Getting 400 clicks before the gauge starts dropping never stops making me happy. But, it doesn't have a canister either; the vent at the top of the neck goes straight to air. Now it sounds like I shouldn't fill our gas PM quite so far, eh? Rats ... but thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 17 gas 2500 LWB which has the same issue. It's at the dealership to get fixed. Showed them multiple videos of the problem, but they refused to believe me until they saw it in person. Same thing happened as always and now are ordering parts. Hopefully this gets resolved. Didn't realize more people were encountering this issue.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Occasionally my 14 does this to me. I found that turning the pump handle to one side to angle the nozzle a bit as it enters the fill pipe seems to help. Just an occasional annoyance. I haven't been able to notice a pattern to it. I can always fill it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I understand you have accepted it but that doesn’t need to be. Mine fills at full speed, is nearly full when it shuts off, and has never bothered like yours.

I accept that different pumps have different levels of sensitivity, but if it doesn’t have to be, please share the solution?

On the other hand, my Nitro spills gas on every fill up not done in CA. This seems to be a vehicle flaw and is more irritating, and I refuse to accept it. But it continues to disregard me.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
There have been some suggestions earlier in the thread. Since the fuel enters the bottom of the tank there is a vent to allow fuel to enter that is not venting. It’s a dealer/warrantee issue. No need for me to repeat post #9 ?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts