Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is a nice camper van conversion worth?

I've had several people ask me if I'd be willing to sell my Promaster camper van conversion. I'm kind of at a loss as to what it might be worth. Any idea what some of these smaller van companies sell their completed vans for? Have you seen any used conversions online for sale?

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
I've been looking anytime vans come up for sale. I saw a 136 diesel converted with a bed/sofa and kitchen and storage and I think it sold for 45k about 6 months ago on ebay. It was pretty basic and I think it had a propane cooktop, sink and mr. buddy heater.

There are a lot of dreamers out there that convert vans and try to sell them for BIG money. Currently there is a youtuber trying to sell their 144 sprinter for around 85k https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/6199616571.html. In my opinion there is nothing in that van that makes it worth 85k, but maybe someone will pay that amount for a van with a super heavy countertop ;)

I'd just add up the parts, plus the cost of the van, plus a little bit for your labor (that's typically what I do when I sell stuff that I fix up). However I didn't fix it up to sell. It it were a business model, obviously you'd account more for your labor.

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
I don’t know, but a full class B is about $100K! Scary!
I have my campervan insured for $44,000 with Progressive Ins. as a fixed value for 10 years. I paid $34K for the van, spent $5K for the conversion and spent about 300 hours converting it, giving myself about $20 an hour for the time I really was making progress not planning and thinking.
To do a second van I could cut the time down to about 200 hours and the materials might run $6K. If I were a business I would want $80 per hour to be profitable so it has to be about $22K plus the van price.
This is for a van with about the same amenities my pickup camper had. Porta-Potty, galley with refrigerator and water, good insulation, heat, no AC, awning windows added, swivel seats, Fantastic Vent, Butane cooktop, 200 watts of solar, FLA or AGM batteries.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had a handful of people ask me to give them a price on it. Yeah I'm blown away that some of these things sell for $80K-$100K from companies like Sportsmobile. I'm really liking the work that some of these smaller shops are doing, very creative ideas.

The whole time I was building this thing I kept telling myself that I'd never build another one. It was kicking my @$$, probably the hardest thing I've ever personally built where I did all the work. I'm pretty good at building things and use to build custom homes, but on the home building I just managed other people. I can't help but think that building a van like this is way out of the capability of the average person.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My dad just bought a converted Sprinter. I thinks it's called Arriva or something like that. He paid way over $100k for it. It's the typical over-priced, under-built RV. Most factory RV's are but cheap and way too complicated in terms of the systems. Mine is built like a tank compared to his, and it's ultra simple. His is overly complicated. And they try to cram so many "features" into them that there's no room to move around.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,821 Posts
There's a video somewhere online that walks a new Roadtrek owner through the systems. It's 1:45 long.

I've not been asked to sell mine, but people do somewhat regularly suggest that I draw up and sell the "plans." I just laugh and say I'm too busy enjoying this one. Mine is insured for just under $40,000--$10,000 more than the cost of the vehicle. That's probably low.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Eventually selling your DIY van conversion is a great reason to document the use of application specific materials and best practices during the build process.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,582 Posts
I removed the link just in case he wanted to start a new "for sale" thread.

Sorry

·
Registered
370 Posts
I kind of feel like I would get my money back for sure or a profit (I bought used to convert) if I ever sell so I don't mind paying a little extra for nicer things while I'm doing my build. I have a little buddy heater, which has been just fine, but I'm thinking about that 12k propane heater linked in another thread for example. I think I could actually build these things for people once I've finished mine and been through the whole research/learning process. And by that I mean I think I could actually enjoy it haha. I may never truly enjoy the window install though, but that would change with a nice wooden template. I would think I'd ask about 30-35k or so for my van when it's finished. Maybe that's high or it would be an easy sell from what I've seen.

I totally agree that most company conversions are overly complicated.

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
$1,000,000 Firm.
Just because you have that electrical control module from the space shuttle, about as much Lithium storage as a fleet of Tesla cars, and 803 quantum thousand solar watts you could sell it for that in a minute!

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
the DIY van's have quite a range of quality/value IMO.
Our Van Specialties build in our Chevy AWD will go up for sale sometime in 2019~ after completing V2 (the 159 PM).
I'm not sure how much the final OTD price will be, but we've had offers close to $40 to 45K which, if we were in the selling mood, would be a fair price.

Thom

1 - 15 of 15 Posts