Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, here is my plan....

http://www.rbcomponents.com/van-products/sprinter-van-conversions/sprinter-van-outdoor/townley-sprinter-van-144-cargo-comfort.html

I would like to make as close to this as possible, using a ProMaster.

My questions are as follows and please chime in or give direction as you would like!

Flooring, I want the tracks in floor but want to create a flat floor with out the ribs.. Would a wood floor with tracks secureed to the meatal floor through the wood provide the security needed for couch/ bed with lap restraints?

Heat... I plan on using this vehicle for snowboarding trips multiple times a week. Any good ideas for heating the rear of the vehicle?

Insulation... A ton of info out there but who has experience?

Please.. any insight would be great!

·
Super Moderator
8,372 Posts
I just did this! My Promaster came with the factory wood floor. I carefully measured where I wanted the l track and cut the plywood out to the steel floor. I used the l track that is designed to fit in a recess and then it is flat on the wood floor top. The l track shouldn't be mounted thru the wood floor but rather directly on the steel floor. It works for me, that's all I can tell you.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Keeponvaning... THANKS!! Can you provide a link for the I track you used? I can only find tracks like RB sells and what a flush design as to prevent tripping when the couch is not in the vehicle!

And pictures are always welcome!

·
Super Moderator
8,372 Posts
I don’t seem to have taken any photos of the actual seat track installation other than the finished one.

I bought the L track and plastic trip ends from here http://www.transforcorporation.com/store/product.php?productid=92&cat=7&page=1 They had the best price and free shipping. I bought the hold down bolts here as they had the best prices http://www.unityparts.com/search.php?search_query=FE200744&x=18&y=3. I used 5/16-18" Machine screws, Phillips flat head, SS that I bought from this source http://www.boltdepot.com along with assorted SS washers, nuts, etc. They were also the cheapest by far and at least 60% less than getting the “bolt down kits” from the L track suppliers!

My van came with the factory wood composite floor which is glued down with globs of some sort of silicone which adheres very tightly. The L track has about a ½” recess and the floor is about ⅜” plus the adhesive keeps it up off the steel floor about a ¼” so I made sure when I cut the wood floor out for the track to fit I was on top of the floor ribs. I had to use 5/16” X 1 ½” fender washers to fill in the spaces between the track and top of the floor ribs. I think I used about three between each hole. The track holes are spaced 4” apart.

I must say it all worked out very well, but it took a lot of planning and measuring to insure it all worked as I had planned. As you can see from the photos I used bucket seats from a Dodge Caravan. They are quite strong and adaptable and fit and look good. They are basically for the few times I have to carry my grandkids around and can come out very simply by just removing 4 nuts from the bolt downs in the track.

I’m certainly no engineer and so I can only say this worked out very well for my needs and I am very comfortable with the security of it. Your needs may be totally different and this may or may not be a solution for you. I have a new three person seat left over from my Sprinter (for sale, by the way) but I didn’t even consider using it for this application. It’s much too heavy and big for one person to move alone and takes up way to much valuable space as far as I’m concerned.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is perfect!!! Website bookmarked!

Your set up is what I was considering at first. Install swivel chairs for the front and a table post in the center. Then I found the setup through RB and feel the modularity of the components will work best for my multiple applications.

The vans I have seen in the WA area don't have the floor and may work it into the deal when I purchase one. My plan is to find a 2500 136 high roof that has been on the lot for a while. I like the flooring but want to insulate the bottom as much as possible before covering it

Thanks again!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts