Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even tho I don't have title to this replacement van yet, the dealer assures me that I will, so I'm restarting the build. The title paperwork has been dragging out for a month now. So here's what we have.

The wheel covers aren't finished & are just sitting in place. The lower insulation is thinsulate that was removed from the old van & sloppily re-installed here by a dealer tech, I'll try to make it better before the walls go on. The floor is vinyl plank, HD trafficmaster allure ultra. It's supposed to be very tough and waterproof. It was a bit finicky to get the pieces interlocked, I'd advise getting the 'ultra simple-fit', it is much easier to install. Under the vinyl plank is 6 mil poly, .5in foam & .5 in OSB (I know, plywood would be better).

I need to make it water tight by the doors. Here is what I'm thinking for the rear door.

I could wrap the poly down under the flashing, but I think it would be better to cut it shorter to allow it to breath. The overlapping angles should keep any water out.
How to fasten & seal the aluminum angle to the van floor? Screw it down with a caulk gasket? Some neoprene or some type of rubber gasket? I'll need some caulk at the ends, what type is recommended for steel & aluminum & a little flexible?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I built the thresholds as shown in previous pic. Put diamond plate over the wheel covers. 1/4 painted plywood on the lower & middle sections of walls. I put house wrap over the thinsulate, an air barrier, not a vapor barrier. The middle wall section has polyiso foam boards with gaps filled with greatstuff. The middle wall is inset from the horizontal van beams. This gives us about 6'3", the intention was to sleep crossways.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We built lightweight portable beds (72x30) out of 2x1 alum channel, 2x2 & 1x2 boards, and 1/4" plywood. Covered with 1" firm foam & a heavy weight drapery material. We bought a 4" ikea foam mattress & cut it to size.
The photos during the build may be lost. Here's one with it hung up for loading.

Loaded up

We had intended to sleep crossways to maximize space, they can sit right on the wheel covers. But we couldn't find a good way to raise up the beds for hauling mode, so they had to be rotated everytime we raised or lowered them. We decided to sleep lengthwise. Fortunately I had plenty of straps so I improvised:

This still takes too long & is a bit finicky to get set up so I'm planning a shelf underneath, and easily deployed aluminum angles spanning across the van. Some rope and pulley to raise it up, then just drop it back down on the angles.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I put a 150Ah lifeline AGM next to the wall behind the drivers seat. Here's the van battery under the seat with a short 4ga cable going to a fuse, then a 1/0 cable which I ran to the aux battery.

It was a tight fit getting from the battery under the floor, but plenty of room behind the step cover.

Here's the battery behind the seat.

I've already decided to move it, turn it 90deg and move it forward to give more room for a galley cabinet.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had hoped to charge the battery direct from the van 12V system, quickly. Lifeline says that their AGM battery can take a huge current (5C) so I was hoping the the 220 amp alternator would charge it up pretty quickly. My concern was overcharging so I put a switch in to disconnect the 2 systems either when parked, or if the aux battery was topped off. In practice what I saw was current flow typically too low (20-50amps). The typical regulated voltage of the van is about 14.1-14.2, which is a little low for what lifeline recommends, but when there is a lot of current flow the voltage is less than 14. Evidently this isn't enough to push greater than 50 amps into the battery. I had assumed that the alternator output voltage was dropping, but now I'm wondering if there is too much drop from the alternator to the van battery (where I was connecting to).

I've decided to put in an inverter and a charger to get a more controlled charge. xantrex sw2000 and xantrex trucharge2 60 amp. I considered a sterling battery to battery charger, but there documentation is really poor and the charge profile isn't very good, I would probably still need a 110V charger anyway.

When the van is running the voltage sensitive relay (VSR) is closed. With the switch I can charge the battery thru the charger, or direct from the van system. When the van isn't running I can power the inverter from the aux battery.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was struggling with how to cover angled section between floor & wall when the obvious solution hit me. I just used some remnants from the vinyl plank flooring. Cut it pretty snug and caulked it in with some gray caulk. This is between the slider and the wheel well. There's a similar, but longer section across the van.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's the shelves & the bed in sleep position. It hangs from the straps in the middle & rests on the shelf on the sides. It will fold up out of the way pretty easily.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's the upper walls and ceiling. We used 1/2" poly iso, or 1" where it would fit. Thinsulate in the ribs. I used great stuff to fill the gaps. Messy stuff, so I switched to caulk for the smaller gaps.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was going to gradually finish this as I figured out what I wanted by experiecnde, but the wife (& me) were getting impatient, so I paid a local guy to put in the windows, cabinets, headliner.
We did a shake down trip to central CO.

Getting ready for buggy locales, we (mostly she) made a screen door.

Under the sink.

Note: Putting a propane tank inside is not a recommended practice. Don't do it like this. I am not advocating this on this message board >:D

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
I expect the small propane tank is safe enough but I would secure it and be sure you have a CO detector which I believe senses propane: See [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Family-Safety-Products-8910012-Combustible/dp/B0017Z5DZO[/ame] ? The stuff is heaver than air so put the sensor low contrary to normal. You should be able to sense a leak in the day fine but at night? Hate to sign on here to find something bad had happened to any of our community.

·
Registered
155 Posts
How is your water system working out? Do you remember where you got the white flexible hose? I've seen them in several builds, but I don't know what to search for when looking for it!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got the white hose from a local camper world.
It's working out pretty well. The grey water system could be improved. It's a little fussy getting the drain line in and out of the bucket and the gasket in the drain line split once,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts