Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2019 136HT 2500 "Van Diego"
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title pretty much says it all. Rock meets windshield on the 125 north. Of course the crack has to wander right into my field of vision.
Bought a new windshield in San Diego/TJ lately? Had a good experience? Do tell.
Thanks all!
20210608_180444.jpg

·
Registered
2017 2500 HiTop 159 Cargo Van white.
555 Posts
Yikes. Glad my rock experience was only a little starfish chip yesterday. Local glass shop filled it and it is barely noticeable.

·
Super Moderator
2018 136" HR
423 Posts
Sorry can't help much since im in the LA area. But I had similar thing happen, it hit the bottom(black part) of the windshield. Didn't notice it until it spread upward, tried drill a hole at the end of the crack and use superglue but that didn't work.

Reactions: Baxsie

·
Registered
2019 Ram Promaster 136 HT Gasser Stealth Work Van Weekend Camper
308 Posts
Yelp is always helpful when your out of town and need service ...the reviews don't lie .

Reactions: Uvan

·
Registered
2019 159 EXT HR (3500) in WA
1,224 Posts
I'm not in that area, but my experience is the best plan is to call your insurance company.

Even if you don't have coverage for your window your insurance agent should know a good window repair company that they trust and use.

When you contact the glass company be sure and let them know that you are not an insurance claim and you are paying out-of-pocket. In my experience, they will typically give you a better price.

·
Registered
2017 159" High Roof
209 Posts
I found a glass guy on Craigslist that did my truck’s windshield for a fraction of the price you’ll pay with safelite or others. Expect to pay more on PM since it is a huge pane of glass, but it’s at least worth a price check.

Our newer family car has safety cameras in the windshield which necessitates a dealer repair to recalibrate the cameras afterwards, so at least be thankful that we don’t have to deal with that when the inevitable happens.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I just had my windshield replaced by Safelite. They're a national chain that is in San Diego. I only use them because most insurance agencies are tied in with them. I call my insurance agency, they set up an appt with Safelite, my bill gets paid and I never see any paperwork. Safelite did an ok job. My complaints were they broke one of the clips underneath one of the the plastic trim pieces at the base of the windshield so that trim piece does not sit down flush against the windshield. They also replaced it with a windshield that doesn't have tinting at the top edge of the glass. I guess you have to specify that or they just use clear glass. For convenience, go with Safelite, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend them for quality and competence.

·
Super Moderator
10,864 Posts
Safelight did mine on my ‘14. Came to my yard and did a good job but very expensive. If I was paying myself instead of the insurance company I wouldn’t use them either!

·
Super Moderator
2018 136" HR
423 Posts
I paid 180+tax for my windshield replacement 1.5yr back. Like what other said, i used Yelp to narrow down to a few installers and got quote from them. They give me a cheaper price if I drive to their shop for the install plus I work out of my van so i didn't have to take any time off.

Reactions: CarKeys

·
Super Moderator
10,864 Posts
I paid 180+tax for my windshield replacement 1.5yr back. Like what other said, i used Yelp to narrow down to a few installers and got quote from them. They give me a cheaper price if I drive to their shop for the install plus I work out of my van so i didn't have to take any time off.
That is an excellent price (especially for CA)! Safelite supposedly charged my insurance company over $400 but who knows what they really charged. Fortunately I was 100% covered and although I had six bulleyes it was the original six year olds windshield with no cracks. I only had it replaced because I was selling it and it was covered by my insurance.
MsNomeris correct - these vans are rock magnets when it comes to windshields!

Reactions: Uvan

·
Registered
2019 118" Silver
1,095 Posts
These vans certainly provide a large surface for rocks and other debris to strike so the odds are higher. Got a star chip in my windshield a while back but was able to fix it myself with a $14 repair kit from O'Reilly Auto Parts.

Unfortunately, my hood took a large tire-launched stone right along that long horizontal crease that left a dent and chipped the paint right near the center. Once you notice something like that it can't be unseen so I'll have to fix it at some point. I'm guessing it would likely have taken out the windshield but at this point I'm not sure which case is worse.

·
Super Moderator
2018 136" HR
423 Posts
These vans certainly provide a large surface for rocks and other debris to strike so the odds are higher. Got a star chip in my windshield a while back but was able to fix it myself with a $14 repair kit from O'Reilly Auto Parts.

I leave that repair kit inside my van after the last windshield incident.

·
Registered
2019 118" Silver
1,095 Posts
@Uvan - Have used that kit successfully on a Forester windshield a couple years ago too. Once you get the impact point cleaned out (if required) and ready to fill you need to be out of direct sunlight (since the UV rays are what cure it) so look for a shady spot if on the road. UV still comes through clouds but anywhere in good shade should be fine - under a big tree, a non-busy quarter car wash or even below an overpass would work too. I did my van windshield in my driveway late in the day (when the sun was on the other side of the house) and it was fine. I pulled the van into the sun afterward and it cured to where you really have to look for it to see it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
We might all be cursed for reading this!

I cracked my windshield today after reading this last night.

In Virginia,

Mopar cost $850 to $930 only 1 in stock.

Non-oem $280 but 0 in stock, maybe has inventory in a week.

Im wondering if I should attempt the glass repair route. The crack is from the edge of the lower passenger side windshield inward in a straight line 8.75 inches long.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Will not pass inspection in Virginia
those kits cannot repair crack that large epically if starting/ending close to edge
Safelife would replace windshield....danville safelife only replace at shop with that large crack

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 159" High Roof
209 Posts
We might all be cursed for reading this!

I cracked my windshield today after reading this last night.

In Virginia,

Mopar cost $850 to $930 only 1 in stock.

Non-oem $280 but 0 in stock, maybe has inventory in a week.

Im wondering if I should attempt the glass repair route. The crack is from the edge of the lower passenger side windshield inward in a straight line 8.75 inches long.
Where in Virginia are you? “I’ve got a guy…”

·
Registered
94 Posts
Will not pass inspection in Virginia
those kits cannot repair crack that large epically if starting/ending close to edge
Safelife would replace windshield....danville safelife only replace at shop with that large crack

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info.

I just got my state inspection a few weeks ago..luckily.

And I was told by the glass shop to do the repair at a shop, I just wasn't told why.

Safelife quote was expensive, $930. Im assuming it was OEM glass. Are you affiliated with Safelife?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts