Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 19 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Doing some cleanup today and decided to pull the CABIN air filter, 35,000 miles on van. It was in pretty good shape, but decided I'd replace it before I leave on my big trip next month. First two auto parts stores I visited couldn't find anything in their online catalog. Next stop, a Dodge/Ram dealer (not a Promaster dealer) - they found the filter . . . $123.00 yikes !!!!!!! Online I've found it for the bargain basement price of $86.00 - at those prices I may do without.

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
Reactions: zwarte and uNik

·
Registered
358 Posts
The price is certainly more like it should be. BUT . . . the filters you linked to don't LOOK anything like what I pulled out of my 2014 Promaster 2500. Bad(incorrect) photo? Has anyone actually replaced their cabin air filter? With what?

·
Registered
108 Posts
A lot of times the ad will show a random filter, not the actual one. The ad says it fits
so it should be the right one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So I took out the cabin filter in my Promaster 3500. This is probably the flimsiest filter I have ever seen in any application. Very disappointed since interior air quality is an important issue for me. I always use recirculation in the van's air system to avoid the road dust. It seems that there is no filter on the recirculation, just on air brought into the cab. I wouldn't trust that filter to remove anything but rocks and trees! Then I see they want $120 for this bit of tissue. It seems they provide the plastic holder for the filter. Gee, that makes it worth about $10 with 600% markup allowed. All this bitterness and sarcasm aside, has anyone found a decent filter that can be adapted to this application. thanks, emjayare

·
Registered
538 Posts
I got one of those cheap ecogards earlier this year. Two screws to remove. Easy to change. It worked fine.

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,377 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Can someone clarify:
I was expecting that there would be an unfiltered air intake and then a filtered cabin output.
Under the hood, the oblong opening on the upper left is the air intake, correct?
There is no separate cabin air filter. Correct?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
If you look up into that opening (or feel for it) there is a filter there. That is THE filter for the air blown into the cabin AFAIK.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Just received 3 cabin air filters that I purchased off of EBay.* Paid $11.65 each from PartSense Warehouse.* The filter is labeled Parts+Plus, CAF9954, Replaces-*
Mighty......CAF2155; OE......68169308AA.
My Ram Pro dealer did not have this trapezoid cabin air filter and his part number was for a square filter.* You are suppose to change this filter every 20K miles.

Mike Logan
2017 23D Trend
Smyrna, TN

·
Registered
216 Posts
Can anyone tell me how they are reaching the screws? Ratchet with a Phillips adapter? I can't get anything under the upper lip and onto the screw. Had similar issues with the engine air filter. Proud owner of two stripped screw heads. Easily the most frustrating and difficult air filter to change out of any vehicle I have ever worked on.

Thank you

·
Registered
216 Posts
I understand post is a year old, but anyone?

·
Registered
810 Posts
I also partially stripped out 1 screw. I luckily had a small ratchet with a Phillips socket.
It was still a bee-otch.
Replace the screws with a hex head or allen screw and itll be easier next time.

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,377 Posts
1 - 19 of 20 Posts