Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 diesel with build date 12/2014. I bought it off lot January 2016 and all is great except a buzzing rattle behind steering column as I progress through the lower gears. Buzzing settles down at cruising speeds and 5-6th gears. It's really my only complaint with this vehicle. Has anybody else experienced this and or worked with dealer for a fix?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have a 2015 diesel with build date 12/2014. I bought it off lot January 2016 and all is great except a buzzing rattle behind steering column as I progress through the lower gears. Buzzing settles down at cruising speeds and 5-6th gears. It's really my only complaint with this vehicle. Has anybody else experienced this and or worked with dealer for a fix?
My 2015 diesel has the same annoying characteristic. To me it sounds like a resonance somewhere, maybe the exhaust system. The worst noise occurs around 1800 to 2000 RPM, particularly when downshifting to a lower vehicle speed. I have searched under the van with the engine running and have not found the source.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,714 Posts
This may sound strange but....

It might be your driver side tweeter! I know...., but when you hear the noise, rap your knuckles against the plastic A column trim. I have had it intermittently since I got the van, and have had the tweeter replaced and the second one is going to get replaced also.

There is an RRT for customers who ask, and they should replace all 4 speakers.

Or not....

Worth a try, no?
Ed

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll try some things and report back.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have the same noise with my 14 diesel.
During my first few weeks of ownership I was convinced that the dealer modified the exhaust to improve mpg until I found this forum and realized everyone is getting the mpgs that I am.
I then took it in the shop right away and the tech went through it with a stethoscope while I held at the problematic RPM. He was able to convince me that it was "a normal sound resonating in an abnormal way". I spent a lot of time banging on panels around the steering column with no luck until now I almost have it mentally tuned out. I would love to figure this out!

·
Registered
88 Posts
This got me thinking... Can the folks with the noise report MPGs? I can hold 30+ doing 55mph on the computer, got about an extra 1k pounds in the van.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm empty with mixed Colorado mountain town driving. Computer reporting 22.3mpg but I suspect it's off a little and could be 24ish.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is a video demonstrating the buzzing sound from my Promaster Diesel when it is under light load. The sound seems most prominent from 2000 to 3000 RPM. Does anyone have a similar situation with their van?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr5tCneWMcA
That's the sound, would love to tone that down or eliminate someday. May begin dialogue with dealership about it soon.

·
Registered
765 Posts
My van has a small dose of that & I always just attributed it to the engine air intake ducting and/or air filter can/box...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Buzzing Problem Solved

I finally decided to dive into solving this annoying buzzing problem. I blocked the accelerator to get a constant 2000 RPM and crawled under, over, and around the engine to try and find the source. The problem was identified by sticking the end of a rubber tube near the firewall in the cab, with the other end in my ear. I then pushed and shoved on various components under the hood to find one that changed the sound. It turned out that the metal fuel line running from the fuel filter to the engine was vibrating, causing the sound to be conducted to driver's side firewall by the mounting clamps. The holes in the clamps are bigger than the tubing diameter so the line was clattering around inside the hole with the firewall acting as a sound board.

I fixed the problem by jamming some fairly stiff foam rubber between the lines and the firewall to damp the vibrations. I also put two tie wraps around the lines to force them to one side of the clamp holes an prevent the clattering. A test drive confirmed that the fix was successful.

Here is a photo of the fuel lines and clamps on the driver's side firewall with the cowl drain hose detached for clarity.

Here is a photo showing the fix. You can also see that mice have been dining on the firewall insulation. They only seem to like the black layer laminated to the fiberglass.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Tomorrow in daylight I'll be popping open those clamps (if I can) and lining the guides or even using silicone gasket seal goop to bind them in place.... thanks for the clue!!!

·
Registered
765 Posts
It seems like the lower tubing is 'looser' and maybe the rattler on mine.

What is not shown is those green fuel line bracket have 'post' nubs to bind the cowl drain line bracket in place, pull down rubber hose to clear the cowling drain pan and then upwards with persuasion on snaps to remove -- to get behind the center of those pictured two green brackets.

About the time I was going to pull the drain I decided to test the foam pickup truck cap gasket tape I wanted to use and found it flammable, supported its own combustion, and stopped until I had better padding to wedge in, there is fiberglass insulation against the firewall and anything used to wedge in there will have to compress the black fiberglass to get any useful bite on the tubing... and my tube of silicone copper exhaust gasket goop has solidified.

Maybe it is a place for a couple of nylon ty-wraps to tighten around the two pipes to make the anchor point(s) more rigid to the loose tails on each side don't wag the dog so much?

to be continued...

·
Registered
88 Posts
I finally decided to dive into solving this annoying buzzing problem. I blocked the accelerator to get a constant 2000 RPM and crawled under, over, and around the engine to try and find the source. The problem was identified by sticking the end of a rubber tube near the firewall in the cab, with the other end in my ear. I then pushed and shoved on various components under the hood to find one that changed the sound. It turned out that the metal fuel line running from the fuel filter to the engine was vibrating, causing the sound to be conducted to driver's side firewall by the mounting clamps. The holes in the clamps are bigger than the tubing diameter so the line was clattering around inside the hole with the firewall acting as a sound board.

I fixed the problem by jamming some fairly stiff foam rubber between the lines and the firewall to damp the vibrations. I also put two tie wraps around the lines to force them to one side of the clamp holes an prevent the clattering. A test drive confirmed that the fix was successful.

Here is a photo of the fuel lines and clamps on the driver's side firewall with the cowl drain hose detached for clarity.

Here is a photo showing the fix. You can also see that mice have been dining on the firewall insulation. They only seem to like the black layer laminated to the fiberglass.

This worked for me. I am forever grateful!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
FYI, this fix worked and now I'm going to upgrade the foam that I used for better fit. You can reach the fuel lines without removing drain pipe but it's a little tight. Happy hunting!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts