Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

As mentioned in my intro, I've been lurking here for a while and have gathered a lot of very useful insights. I hope to base my camper build off of a used 2500 Promaster (159 High Top). When looking at the various web sights, it seems most of the vans are pretty basic (no rear camera, Uconnect, etc.)

Can most of that be added relatively easily with aftermarket suppliers or is it worth it to hold put until you find a van with OEM stuff on it. I'm pretty good working on vehicles so I'm not too worried but wonder if you give up a lot on actual usability.

Thx.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Most things are possible, with the possible exception of cruise. Don't get a UC5, there are much better after-markets out there. I'd look for one with the type of passenger seat I want (bucket vs. twin bench) to avoid possible swapping problems (air bags, etc). One with heated folding mirrors would be a nice bonus. Folks on this forum have done (or tried) just about everything. Do some searching.

·
Registered
305 Posts
In December every time I found a rear camera and cruise on a used cargo 159 HT it was gone in short order. Finally got lucky and got an end of year 2017 with RC, CC, chrome grill and side/rear glass. Looked just the other day and many more used 2017's are popping up. Look very careful at the pictures of the steering wheel area to see the second "turn signal" arm at 9 o'clock which is the the cruise controller. Sometimes they do not list it!!

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Cruise is easy aftermarket. $<300

·
Registered
29 Posts
I looked on CarGurus for a long time and there are many used 2016 and 2017 Promaster vans available, at first I was concerned because there were so many late models available. But after much research I learned that most of them come from the same company. If you research the vin # and the build sheet they were all built for Enterprise Rental Corp. with little or no options. Usually did have side and or rear glass in the doors. High and low tops, mostly low. 6 to 20 k miles going for at the time I was looking 24 to 26 K. If I was considering on of those I would shop at Enterprise's online store, thinking they keep the best ones to sell themselves because they offer a rather good warranty and send the rest to the auction. I new I wanted CC, BUC, and no glass, after owning a PM City I needed them options and a high roof. New was my best option but I would not be afraid of a used rental (if it had options I wanted) they take good care of their investments.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I found my 2nd PM on cars.com. Worth a look.

For my money, the PM is nice because as far as I know there have been zero production changes since it's introduction in 2014. So the year doesn't matter.

Another big thing is that except for oil changes, there really isn't any maintenance for the previous owner to neglect until 100,000 miles. So up to a point, the miles don't matter either. And unlike passenger cars, these vans generally aren't abused in the same way as a sports car or a 4x4 would be.

Example: a few months back I almost bought a third van. 2014 lwb extended that was already set up for expediting, with a generator, fold up bed, hitch, roof mount a/c, the works. 330,000 miles. $13,000. Bargain. I could buy and install 2 or 3 complete drivetrains for the price difference between that and brand new.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts