Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talking to a dealer in California: "Don't they sell vans in Idaho?" Me: "Well maybe, but not many."

So we have narrowed our search down to a 159WB High Roof.

I found one that seemed to fit the bill in California. 2017 2500 with 30k miles listed for $25000. Called to get more info.

Drive away price = List price + License fee $105 + DMV $50 + 7.75% tax.

I was of the understanding that if you bought a vehicle out of state, that you would then pay tax in your state when you registered it.

He says that is possible, but their dealership does not do that. They require tax to be paid unless the vehicle is delivered out of state commercially and they have a bill of lading.

Is this normal? Shall I keep looking?

Thanks for your suggestions.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Yes, the sales tax being collected by the dealership in the state where the sale is completed is normal. Most states have agreements between them to give you credit for any sales taxes paid at the time of purchase when you register the vehicle in your home state. That said, I would check (And double check) with the Idaho DMV to make sure your state and California have such an agreement, as there are a few that do not.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yup just bought from a dealer in FL, Florida gets the sales tax and wisconsin credits me. They collected the amount wisconsin charges not what Florida would charge. I also researched and found the wisconsin regulations covering this. If you think it maks sense the sale takes place in the dealers state. Private party I've always just got the title and paid Wisconsin the tax due.

·
Registered
765 Posts
There is a dodge to the CA sales tax by delivering vehicle to Nevada... The way the statue reads is vehicle is taxable if the owner themselves causes it to touch a public roadway... Just a factoid I read a while back.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I bought a car in CO when I lived in KS. Paid the dealer sales tax, and they mailed me a refund check for the tax amount. Then paid KS sales tax when I registered the car.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I live in Va. and bought in NC. Had to pay NC tax. Then the dealer never processed anything with DMV and after 30 days FedEx'd me all the paperwork including the title of origin so I could take care of it with local DMV. I took a loan on it and they gave me the title? Stupid dumbasses. My temp tag expired and then they send it all to me as it expired.

I spent a few hours at my DMV as they carefully poured over the paperwork and declared it the worst piece of work they had ever seen. But they plowed thru it and fixed things as they went. Turned out the dealer had over charged me a bit. DMV had no way to refund it. So if I kicked in another $3, I got another year on the registration! I was good with that solution. DMV got the title fixed and to my credit union too. All in all it worked out fine, but that was a days work for me to save the $7k off sticker I got by traveling to the dealer down in NC.

4 years ago I bought a cargo trailer from a car lot in Pa. and even they processed it and got me my Va. title and registration. I thought this stuff was normal. Maybe not in NC yet.

I've owned it just over 2 years now. Love it. And last week had to finally renew the plate! Got it for another 2 years. Time flies when you're getting older!

·
Super Moderator
10,680 Posts
Simple solution - don’t buy one new in a sales tax state.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I'm from Mississippi and bought in Colorado. I just gave the dealer a check for the vehicle + $290 in dealer fees and walked out the door with a 45 day Colorado temp tag. That temp tag was worth nothing to me(except getting back to MS without getting pulled over) because Mississippi law states that I have to tag it in 7 days and does not have any type of temp tag. I had to pay taxes in the state I tagged it which is Mississippi.

Side note: because Mississippi doesn't have a temp tag process if I had bought a van in Massachusetts I was looking at, it would have been a royal pain in the butt because I wouldn't be able to get a temp tag from Mass and the dealer wouldn't let it off the lot without a tag. The dealer told me I would have to buy it sight unseen then bring a tag with me or fly out look at it, buy it, go back and get a tag then come back, or the third option would be to ship it to me rather than coming back. The whole ordeal made zero sense and probably would have cost them a sale if I didn't find the van in Colorado.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
221 Posts
I live in NC and purchased in GA. They charged GA tax, but, as I recall, I filled out a form stating that I live in NC. When I registered in NC, I paid tax again. I received a refund of the GA tax about a month later. I can't remember if the check came from the dealer or the state (I think it was the dealer). It wasn't a problem. It seems to vary state-to-state, so you certainly want to talk it through with the dealer before you buy out-of-state.

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
Some states allow one to take the plates issued to your other vehicle (equivalent to a trade in) you subsequently sell and complete a transfer form and pay your local states tax or registration on the new vehicle then carry them to pick up the van. Because it is then legally registered the out-of-state dealer often doesn't need to fill out any registration or tax form. I bought a truck in NJ and did just that while a Vermont resident.

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,492 Posts
Don't listen to what anybody has said go to your DMV and ask them on how not to pay double taxes when buying an out of state vehicle. They are the ones that know.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I purchased my van from a California stealership and was told the same thing. So I could pay the Cali tax and fees or have it shipped out of state. Nevada was the closest but then I would have to deal with getting a temp tag there so I had it shipped to NM. Stealership said they could arrange the transport and it would cost $2K. I got my van about a week later and had to sign the delivery checklist for damage and noticed the transport cost was only $850. So if you get a vehicle transported you might save some $ by arranging your own shipping.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I live in Idaho, bought my van used in Montana (no sales tax) and when I registered it in Idaho, I had to pay the sales tax to the county assessor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts