Ram Promaster Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,605 Posts
Contact old dude (on the forum) who just posted he want to sell his ‘18 with 1500 miles on it!
Here’s the link

Reactions: RnR

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Contact old dude (on the forum) who just posted he want to sell his ‘18 with 1500 miles on it!
Here’s the link
I guess I didn't mention it, but I'm 90% sure we need the extra 2 ft of the 159. There's 2 of us, plus potentially our cat and hopefully extended trips including work from van, so space seems pretty important.

·
Registered
2019 Ram PM 3500 High Top 159" WB EXT
43 Posts
I agree with you on wanting the 159" WB, especially with 2 people. However if you really could only afford a shorter van, then that just means you need to get more creative to make it work! Maybe go see the different sizes in person to get a proper feel for the spaces.

Try other websites, I found mine using only Cargurus but there are many sites out there.

Here's one for $28,000 with 5,000 miles
Here's one for $22,500 with 12,500 miles
Here's one for $24,500 with 20,000 miles
Here's one for $27,350 with 5,650 miles

All have cruise control.

·
Registered
15 Posts
We looked at several low mile used vans too but for the small difference in price bought a new 2019 136 1500 gas high roof with the items you mentioned for less than $30K in SoCal. My husband said it wasn’t worth the price difference to worry about a used one.

·
Registered
146 Posts
We almost bought a 2018 1500 136" LR with 1,600 miles that had been a dealership's loan vehicle. Ended up getting a new 2019, equipped with pretty much what we wanted, that had been sitting on the lot for about 1.5 years for <$30K. They just wanted it gone.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got mine (2019 3500, 159 extended) up in New Hampshire-- contacted the previous owner to find out how it was used and why they sold it. It had 14k miles and got it for 30k; I'm really happy with it- happy enough to drive the 20 hours to get her home :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I agree with you on wanting the 159" WB, especially with 2 people. However if you really could only afford a shorter van, then that just means you need to get more creative to make it work! Maybe go see the different sizes in person to get a proper feel for the spaces.

Try other websites, I found mine using only Cargurus but there are many sites out there.

Here's one for $28,000 with 5,000 miles
Here's one for $22,500 with 12,500 miles
Here's one for $24,500 with 20,000 miles
Here's one for $27,350 with 5,650 miles

All have cruise control.
I used that site also. It seems most similar sites list the same vehicles. I'm not really sure how much I care about cruise. I use it all the time in my corolla, just go straight to the desired lane, set pace, relax. I get annoyed when some other vehicle slows down on hills and speeds up on descents, and I'll be that guy without cruise. However, I'm also thinking a large van may not be particularly fast and I probably won't be cruising in the far left lane much. How fast do these drive? I feel 3k is the difference between long distance vs in person buying. Close to 2k extra after shipping, independent inspection, and escrow, plus I have to do the DMV stuff myself.

Regarding new:
I did search new a bit, saw listings around 30k, but after further inspection discovered it's just flat out false advertising and it's really a bunch of stupid rebates I probably wouldn't qualify for anyway. I'm not financing. Looks like the price of brand new is a good 7k+ premium over low miles and still under warranty. I like the idea of the warranty especially if buying sight unseen, so steering clear of 2017 and lower on the nationwide searches.

Regarding not-perfectly ideal features/options:
I'm sure I'll run into stuff that isn't quite perfect with anything. Cruise control is one example.Another is windows. Some of these have rear door windows. I was thinking no windows first, living in SF and being aware of all the stealth and not-so-stealth camping in the city. But I feel like these could be nice to let some light in, and just make some insulated covers to black them out at night and while away. Also looking at one with the duel passenger seat, but I read one blog about having to hook up the seatbelt and weight sensor and leave them permanently attached in a box. Ugh, pain in the ass.

Anyway, a local-ish dealer has a 2018 with a few thousand miles left on the warranty listed for 28, and it didn't take much to talk them down a grand on a quick phone call. Includes all dealer fees so I just pay reg and taxes. Also no fancy options, but looks like about the best one can do without a bunch of body damage or a rebuilt title.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I used that site also. It seems most similar sites list the same vehicles. I'm not really sure how much I care about cruise. I use it all the time in my corolla, just go straight to the desired lane, set pace, relax. I get annoyed when some other vehicle slows down on hills and speeds up on descents, and I'll be that guy without cruise. However, I'm also thinking a large van may not be particularly fast and I probably won't be cruising in the far left lane much. How fast do these drive? I feel 3k is the difference between long distance vs in person buying. Close to 2k extra after shipping, independent inspection, and escrow, plus I have to do the DMV stuff myself.

Regarding new:
I did search new a bit, saw listings around 30k, but after further inspection discovered it's just flat out false advertising and it's really a bunch of stupid rebates I probably wouldn't qualify for anyway. I'm not financing. Looks like the price of brand new is a good 7k+ premium over low miles and still under warranty. I like the idea of the warranty especially if buying sight unseen, so steering clear of 2017 and lower on the nationwide searches.

I'm sure I'll run into stuff that isn't quite perfect with anything. Cruise control is one example.Another is windows. Some of these have rear door windows. I was thinking no windows first, living in SF and being aware of all the stealth and not-so-stealth camping in the city. But I feel like these could be nice to let some light in, and just make some insulated covers to black them out at night and while away. Also looking at one with the duel passenger seat, but I read one blog about having to hook up the seatbelt and weight sensor and leave them permanently attached in a box. Ugh, pain in the ass.

Anyway, a local-ish dealer has a 2018 with a few thousand miles left on the warranty listed for 28, and it didn't take much to talk them down a grand on a quick phone call. Includes all dealer fees so I just pay reg and taxes. Also no fancy options, but looks like about the best one can do without a bunch of body damage or a rebuilt title.
You'll be surprised (like I was) how much get up and go these vans have. I flew out to pick up my van from the dealership then drove about 1500 miles on it back home, and I used the cruise control a lot on that drive. Even in the slow lane where I was for most of the trip I was able to use cruise control. The v6 engine is surprisingly powerful, and this is coming from a guy with a v8 truck who was not looking forward to driving a v6 cargo van. I have nothing bad to say about the power and handling of the promaster.

I can't tell you whether you'd miss cruise control, but I personally would hate not to have it, especially with the LONG drives I have planned ahead of me. Missing cruise control might also hurt resale value (you might not care about that now but may in the future).

That being said, a quick search reveals that you might be able to install aftermarket cruise control, so I'd do some research to see if that's an option.

I hate how the new vehicle prices are advertised with all possible rebates that one could not possibly qualify for. They are being advertised for like $32k but in reality you pay closer to $40k. This should not be legal to do in my opinion.

At the end of the day, you will have to make compromise, that's life. Whatever way you decide to go, you will make it work! So don't stress too much about it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'm sure I'll run into stuff that isn't quite perfect with anything. Cruise control is one example.Another is windows.
Both cruise control and windows can be purchased aftermarket. Rostra sells the cruise control for less than $300 and it's supposedly a fairly easy install. Windows can be bought from CRL or others and can found for all locations in the van.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Both cruise control and windows can be purchased aftermarket. Rostra sells the cruise control for less than $300 and it's supposedly a fairly easy install. Windows can be bought from CRL or others and can found for all locations in the van.
I did see aftermarket cruise is pretty easy. As for windows, I realize I can install them later, but I cant get rid of them as easily if I don't like them. Seems like the rear windows are a pretty popular option, so wondering if I should include these in my search. I really like natural light and if it's nasty weather and I'm trying to get work done they could be really nice to have as long as I make/buy some good covers.

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
For my use, cruise control is a must and one of the reasons I special-ordered (i.e. ensure that I got it).

The factory rear windows are also very useful and let in good amounts of light despite being quite dark so people can't see in during the day. They are further useful just because it's really nice to see what's going on behind you in the rearview mirror. The side mirrors leave a lot to be desired in this way.

And there are lots of PMs with factory rear windows, even work vans, such that having them won't immediately scream "RV". Whereas aftermarket windows look like someone's added them, quite possibly for living in the van. A nice thing about some aftermarket windows is that can open in some fashion, letting in fresh air; I don't know because I have the factory ones but if you are sleeping at the back when it's hot, airflow would be nice.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I used that site also. It seems most similar sites list the same vehicles. I'm not really sure how much I care about cruise. I use it all the time in my corolla, just go straight to the desired lane, set pace, relax. I get annoyed when some other vehicle slows down on hills and speeds up on descents, and I'll be that guy without cruise. However, I'm also thinking a large van may not be particularly fast and I probably won't be cruising in the far left lane much. How fast do these drive?
We have a 2003 Toyota RAV4 (4 cylinders), so we were happily surprised at how peppy and fast the PM (6 cylinders) was when we drove it home. Although we thought we'd be in the right-hand lane most of the way, we ended up having to pass some cars (quite easily) in comparison to the RAV.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have 0 windows on my van, my idea is to make it as stealthy as I possibly can. I can always add windows if I decide I want them down the road, but can't remove them. For air flow, I bought 2 Maxxair 7000k fans and will put one behind the cab as exhaust and one above the bed as intake. Am concerned about it feeling claustrophobic and dark, but like I said I can always add windows.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Found one in the area I may want to buy. Looks like what I want except it has the passenger bench seat. Any idea of the cost and hassle (in hours) involved with replacing this?

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
There were/are a lot of promasters with the double pass seat.
A lot of people buy them and try to trade for a single seat. I assume they are hard to come by as most people want the single seat.
I would look around for a single seat before purchasing.

·
Super Moderator
8,605 Posts
There are many, many write ups in in the archives on this very subject and a currant thread today.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts