Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know several people have gone the buy back route after having unresolved issues, but most seem to opt for a replacement. Has anyone done the buy-back and moved on without a replacement?

Some recent issues have left me wanting to just get rid of my van. I may look at the Promaster again in a couple years after they work out all the issues, but I don't feel a replacement at this time is an option for me. There's just too many problems with them for me to have confidenance in them.

So, has anyone had luck just walking away after a buy-back? Good/bad experance?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hey CC, I did strongly consider just giving the PM back, but then, where am I. Don't want a Sprinter, My best friend bought an NV, already has van envy for my PM. Not keen on the Transit and no way on a Chevy. I opted to go with a gas 159ext, and I am extremely pleased. I wanted the diesel for the mileage and longevity. Given the complexity go the DEF system, and the probability of future expensive repairs, and the unknown causes of the current problems I opted for the gasser. Since I drive 50K+ miles a year, I bought a small SUV to use on days I don't need the PM, and extend the life of the drivetrain, in years, not miles. I figure 300-400K on the gasser, was counting on lots more from the diesel. Since I'm going to dual purpose the PM, to work and do a bit of traveling and camping, I felt this was the best option. The diesel got me an average of 23 mpg, overall(and I drive to get there, no coasting or shifting, 75-85 on the interstate, and the gas is giving about 17. On a60mph highway driving it gets 20 or so. I couldn't be happier with this set up, and this is truly the best van I have ever driven. Period, and I've driven them all in the last 44 years of working. Just my opinion, but I'm pleased with what I ended up with. Chris

·
Registered
186 Posts
Buy back route as with replacement is a hassle and expensive. You will pay for the usage i.e. miles at a pretty steep rate in either program. With replacement you have negotiation room, buy back none although if you use legal council you can show losses to lower the expense, but add in lawyer fees. My replacement came with extras, Nav, Cruise and 6 way seats. FCA also threw in 7 year 100k bumper to bumper warranty and while my original was down for almost 5 months made two payments for me.
I get the lack of confidence, but when I went out and drove the competitors and looked at pricing the PM still came out in top for me so I took the replacement. So far 1500 miles in 25 Mpg from the little diesel, no issues and am looking forward to building out my work, Play and road trip dream ride. First Road trip is two weeks away, WA to Texas so guessing I'll know if my choice was right by the end of the trip. Really suggest you drive the others, get a true final cost from FCA then decide what's best for you, good luck

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replys! I agree for what I want to use it for the Promaster is the best platform out there. Problem is I have just over 4000 miles on it and it's been in the shop over 40 days and scheduled to go back in the shop next week. I have thought about switching to the gasser up until this past weekend. There is a design flaw that allows excessive amounts of water into the rocker pannel area. I don't want a van that I built out for a camper conversion to hold water contribuiting to mold/mildew or rusting out in 4-6 years.

This was a retirement gift to myself and I planned on traveling around in it this next summer. I will be retiring in mid April, so I don't have time to wait the six months for a replacement then do the build. Even with a replacement I feel the same issues will exist.

I don't use it for work, it would strictly be a play vehicle. My plan would be to wait a couple years and look at the options out there again and pick the best option. Yes it would suck not to have a van, but I'd rather wait and see then be stuck with something that will break down/be in the shop, rust out, or mold/mildew.

I've talked with a lawyer already and it seems like going the Lemon Law wouldn't cost me too much at all.

·
Premium Member
8,654 Posts
Really? I've been 8 days straight in rain, drove 3000 miles, camped in rain, driving rain at times. I'm dry, rocker panels are not wet as I just checked. How did I not get the "design flaw?" Wait and be happy later.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Really? I've been 8 days straight in rain, drove 3000 miles, camped in rain, driving rain at times. I'm dry, rocker panels are not wet as I just checked. How did I not get the "design flaw?" Wait and be happy later.

Ok, so maybe design flaw wasn't the right phrase to use. But there are a lotof people that I've talked to that have the water issue, so either waysomething isn't right.

Glad the Promaster is living up to your expectations! But it isn't living upto mine and I'm tired of waiting to be happy! I bought a new vehicle and didn'texpect not to be able to use it for its intended purpose. I have had to cutfour of my five trips in it short (all of which wasted my vacation time)because STAR can't figure out a problem they knew about before I bought my van!Now I find out it leaks and holds water in an area that is already going to beprone to rust, no thanks, I'm done.

·
Premium Member
8,654 Posts
I do know how bad you are hurting and I believe there should be NO ISSUES and if they are FCA should be on them like stink on a skunk. When many people report issues they need to be even more diligent and we need to report and persist. I have had a different experience and can't appreciate all the issues as mine has been more than I expected. I am on a month trip and the diesel has been way better than I expected. The van is quiet, tight, comfortable, and quite the conversation starter. Mine is badged as a Fiat so many ask me about that.

Reactions: Rhodanish

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FCA is either playing stall tatics or can't seem to pull their head out of their behind, either way I gave up on them and hired a lawyer to represent me for Lemon Law. Hopefully I'll be out from this van by Christmas. I really hoped it would of worked out as I think the Promaster COULD be an awesome platform. I even thought about looking at the Promaster again in a couple years after they worked out all the bugs, but with all my issues and FCA's incompitance I don't think I'll ever own another FCA product again.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 2016 has a leak in the roof and I've taken it twice to be fixed only to have the drip persist.

This is just behind the cargo door opening.

·
Premium Member
8,654 Posts
That could be just what is happening. Perhaps others would look for this leak (defect?) and give some feedback. One problem to getting action from FCA might be how many complaints come in and how many dealers confirm it. If it is a problem like the leaking marker lights were, FCA should institute a change in manufacture/assembly to get it right. They have been responsible after the fact on other issues but seem slow to react to an individual or one dealer. I support bringing any issue that won't go away back to the top of the list.

BTW all those seams are sealed with a glue or mastic which appears to be applied by machine and painted over later. To find the leak will require the services of a body shop experienced in this sort of material. Many utility vehicles seem to be "glued" together although spot welds actually do much of the holding. Those can be seen in your picture. I expect finding the leak will require the mastic to be removed along the seam outside the van and a repair and repaint accomplished. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally got out from under my POS van.

Bittersweet actually. I honestly thought it was the perfect platform for a camper conversion. But knowing I no longer have to make payments on a van that doesn't like going to altitude (where I'd use it the most) feels great.

Besides all the waiting due to FCA's incompetence returning it was much easier than buying it!

I hope those of you that have good working Promasters continue to have good luck with them. I was just burned and fed up.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Just wondering , how do you check the rocker panel area for moisture?

·
Super Moderator
8,599 Posts
Stick something down inside and see if it comes out wet. The triangular openings at the bottom inside walls are a good place to start.

·
Premium Member
8,654 Posts
Yup what he said! ^^^^^^ ( I’ve bee away from the forum.)

·
Registered
810 Posts
Finally got out from under my POS van.

Bittersweet actually. I honestly thought it was the perfect platform for a camper conversion. But knowing I no longer have to make payments on a van that doesn't like going to altitude (where I'd use it the most) feels great.

Besides all the waiting due to FCA's incompetence returning it was much easier than buying it!

I hope those of you that have good working Promasters continue to have good luck with them. I was just burned and fed up.
So, how did you actually get out from under it?
Did FCA buy it? Did they give you a fair price?
Details, please?
Thanks

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So, how did you actually get out from under it?
Did FCA buy it? Did they give you a fair price?
Details, please?
Thanks

Unfortunately they made me sign a confidentiality agreement so I can't give specifics. But here is what I can tell you:

I hired a lemon lawyer because of the runaround FCA's claim department was giving me. They didn't pay for the modifications I had done, so I lost just over $1000 for the window, roof vent, and insulation I had installed myself.

If it wasn't for them not paying for the modifications I think it would have been a fair price. But losing $1000 on a van that gave me nothing but trouble stings. FCA is a business and they ran the buyback as such.

Sorry I can't give more specific info, but don't want to break the agreement.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Unfortunately they made me sign a confidentiality agreement so I can't give specifics. But here is what I can tell you:

I hired a lemon lawyer because of the runaround FCA's claim department was giving me. They didn't pay for the modifications I had done, so I lost just over $1000 for the window, roof vent, and insulation I had installed myself.

If it wasn't for them not paying for the modifications I think it would have been a fair price. But losing $1000 on a van that gave me nothing but trouble stings. FCA is a business and they ran the buyback as such.

Sorry I can't give more specific info, but don't want to break the agreement.
Fair enough. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
11 Posts
For those that are curious, I recently went through a buyback as well. I bought a new 2016 that leaked thought the rocker panels on both sides, clearances lights, side door gasket, rear door gaskets, and through design flaw openings near/behind the tail lights, license plate, etc. 5 or so trips to the dealer fixed some but couldn't fix all of these issues. A hosing of the rear doors of less pressure than a high school car wash continued to find its way in. Right about when I was going to attempt to fix the rest myself, the brand new vehicle wouldn't start in my driveway. Time to give up, this was absurd. On inspection searching for fuses, I saw wiring routing under the soft drivers floor that was asking to wear through insulation, and one wire with cracked insulation already. The salesman that swore this was the best vehicle for RV conversion only referred me to others when he was proven wrong. I couldn't be more unhappy with the lack of quality I experienced, and the many months it took to complete a buyback, including many gatekeepers who I could only reach through voicemail and they may or may not call back. I also started a FCA customer support case, which cost tons of time to keep them updated and had next to nothing to offer in return. The only upside is that the local dealer acknowledged that they couldn't fix it and agreed to the buyback so I didn't have to lawyer up. Having under 1000 miles on it, I did get full price, except for insurance expenses and a ton of wasted time and frustration. Think twice before putting your faith in this vehicle.

·
Registered
625 Posts
A reminder that there's problems out there with any vehicle model.

A recent tale from the Transit forums had someone's nice 3.5 EB engine self destruct in less than 70 miles on the odometer. You think he has good feelings about the Transit after that? Probably not...

Another guy over there had issues with the van pulling hard to one side and wearing out front tires in only a few thousand miles. Ended up that the whole front subframe was tweaked or something like that. Took many, many months and more than a few dealer shops to look at it before it got even close to being fixed. He's still driving it, but at what level of trust?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts