Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have this butcher block countertop and it is currently not sealed or varnished. I try to keep up with applying Howard brand oil and wax, but it seems to not last very long. Should I seal it, and if so, with what? Danish oil, or some type of polyurethane/varnish, or ? We do food prep on it (not directly on it of course) so that might be a consideration.

We live in the PNW so it is frequently humid during winters and then quite dry during summer, and I worry that this cycling will make the blocks separate or I will otherwise somehow inadvertently ruin this very nice counter. I did not install it, so I do not know what type of wood it is, where it came from etc.

TIA!

Brown Table Countertop Wood Rectangle

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to everyone for their input! And agree that @wallsonwheels has a very posh van kitchen, super sharp interior!

It sounds like sealing is the way to go, given the temperature and humidity cycling in the van. I appreciate a good patina as much as anyone, but I would prefer not to have to replace this countertop if it starts to split, etc.

@wallsonwheels was there a particular finish (semi-gloss etc) for the acrylic urethane you used, or do you remember the specific product? I would prefer a less shiny countertop (yours looks great in the picture). @Swamplizard a two part epoxy is very nice, but probably too much hassle (for me) to put on. Hardness is less important to me, I just don't want it to split and warp.

Thanks all!

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
An oil finish renewed regularly will last forever. A hard finish is going to be vulnerable to abrasion, standing water, etc., even if you baby it. When moisture creeps underneath, the finish will fail.

Mineral oil with wax. Wipe it on warm, wipe off. Schedule:

Once a day for a week
Once a week for a month
Once a month for a year
As needed thereafter
I was hoping you would chime in @MsNomer due to your woodworking expertise. This schedule is great to know, I was not oiling it this often.

Question: do you think this regimen will prevent the butcher block from separating, even with significant seasonal humidity and temp swings (40’ and 80% in the winter, 90s and 20% in the summer)?

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The product that I would favor is Osmo. It's an oil/wax finish from Germany. There are several versions and if you google it you will find a food safe version. If you want to avoid splitting/cracking, you MUST finish all sides and edges as MsNomer has stressed.
Also, how often should this be applied? how long would a few coats last (ballpark)??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts