Ram Promaster Forum banner

Butcher block countertop - should I seal it?

1065 Views 29 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  Sharon MH
We have this butcher block countertop and it is currently not sealed or varnished. I try to keep up with applying Howard brand oil and wax, but it seems to not last very long. Should I seal it, and if so, with what? Danish oil, or some type of polyurethane/varnish, or ? We do food prep on it (not directly on it of course) so that might be a consideration.

We live in the PNW so it is frequently humid during winters and then quite dry during summer, and I worry that this cycling will make the blocks separate or I will otherwise somehow inadvertently ruin this very nice counter. I did not install it, so I do not know what type of wood it is, where it came from etc.

TIA!

Brown Table Countertop Wood Rectangle
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
2021 1500 136"WB High top
1,873 Posts
I've always used oil on Butcherblock -- mineral oil, even olive oil, since i'm cooking/prepping food on it. The raw finish is why most people go with butcher block. Cover it with a thick coat of oil, let it soak in then wipe off. But If depends on what kind of wood your butcher block is made of. I have acacia from home depot and it's not like regular butcher block. I treated it with the this oil wax. It's a beautiful finish without hiding the wood behind polyurethane,
Interbuild 8.5 fl. oz. Espresso Hardwax Wood Oil Stain 471-3651D-025V - The Home Depot

1 - 1 of 1 Posts