Ram Promaster Forum banner

Butcher block countertop - should I seal it?

1065 Views 29 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  Sharon MH
We have this butcher block countertop and it is currently not sealed or varnished. I try to keep up with applying Howard brand oil and wax, but it seems to not last very long. Should I seal it, and if so, with what? Danish oil, or some type of polyurethane/varnish, or ? We do food prep on it (not directly on it of course) so that might be a consideration.

We live in the PNW so it is frequently humid during winters and then quite dry during summer, and I worry that this cycling will make the blocks separate or I will otherwise somehow inadvertently ruin this very nice counter. I did not install it, so I do not know what type of wood it is, where it came from etc.

TIA!

Brown Table Countertop Wood Rectangle
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
308 Posts
The butcher block in our van has been doing well for over two years, including trips to both coasts, but spends most of its time in the dry Colorado air. We have only used Howard's conditioner & oil. Initially we applied the conditioner to both sides, but haven't reapplied it to the bottom since installing it. No cracks or issues.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts