Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cripes! Had a rock hit the windshield last week. Starred it at POI plus a 3" vertical crack and a 12" horizontal one that is angled up to eventually spread to the center of the drivers view area. The POI (Point of impact) was dead center about 4" from the bottom of the shield. Could have been worse I suppose. At least I can drive it.

$250 deductible on my insurance. Found a company online that comes to your home or business to change it out. Just $350 for the job. They said they'd need a day to order in the windshield. It's not a Mopar windshield. (Heck, those take 6 months on back order, don't they?) But I figure as long as its optically clear and not wavy, I'll take it. I'll pay for the job as saving $100 using my insurance will just cost me in higher rates in the future. If the shield is a good one, I'll post the company here later this week with a recommendation.

Busy car week this week! Not in a good way. My wife's 14 Fusion has a growling noise that I believe is a CV joint or bearing going out. Just 49k miles on it. May be covered under warranty as it has a 60k mile powertrain warranty. Having the dealer look at that Wednesday. Getting the windshield done Thursday weather permitting.

Just had to spent almost $200 on flea and heartworm prevention meds for my dog too. Getting expensive on a disabled Vets allowance. This stuff always comes in three's. Hoping Murphy's Law has moved on to another victim now. ;-)

·
Registered
520 Posts
That's a bummer sorry about your recent bad luck, sure it's about to turn around. I replaced my windshield only to have it get broken a week later! Make sure they replace all the plastic clips around the lower trim before they leave.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Ouch! I got a similar hit in AZ two years ago and couldn’t get NHDOT inspection done in May. Safelite did mine for $420, they had the glass in stock, nice clear replacement with the sun shading across the top. Interesting tools to do the job as I watched. Two installers came as it’s a big piece to get centered. I was happy in every way. Another glass company quoted $860! Good luck. I hear ya on the surprises as I am on a small pension and SS. Try https://www.heartlandvetsupply.com/p-5193-interceptor-plus.aspx for the Pup. You need a prescription but they get it from your Vet.

·
Registered
808 Posts
One of the few joys of insuring in Florida. Window replacement is free for any road debris damage.

I thought they were joking when I followed a truck hauling gravel to a local landscape supply company and asked them to replace the windshield they cracked.

You just call a number and they set you up with a contractor for immediate replacement. I've done it twice on two vehicles so far. A mobile replacement unit showed up at work the next day, and everything was done for free.

I was just thinking I needed to check if this extends to mirror glass, as the convex mirror on the passengers side got cracked by a rock a while back.

·
Super Moderator
10,190 Posts
Progressive RV coverage isn’t that progressive about it in NH. As RD said it’s as cheap to pay it yourself and not have them charge you more the next year.

In MA they are required to cover windshields 100% no deductible (but you pay double for the insurance ;))

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have full coverage with Allstate. The few times I have had to use it over the years, they were a nightmare to deal with. One time they tried to total our car after it had been repaired. In hindsight, I should have let them. Then they blamed it on a computer and took no responsibility for what they tell the computers to do! If We didn't like our agent so much, I'd have switched companies years ago.
I have always had issues with Murphy's Law. ****, I had both my legs crushed and shoulders ripped up in just one evening! (I survived, barely) I have been on submarines that tried to sink and not come up. I have raised teenagers and let them live when they didn't deserve it. (I survived, barely) ;-)

Lots of trials in life. Just have to fight the good fight. That which doesn't destroy you, can REALLY annoy you!

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
My progressive RV insurance has a declining $500 deductible which goes down 25% each year. Being at the end of my 3rd year my deductible has gone down to $125 so a windshield would be reasonable now. The policy is only $375/year with $44,000 agreed value for 10 years so I didn’t complain about the $420. Hopefully the next one is on them.

Rich- I have lived a charmed life. I didn’t used to think so but now I have it in perspective!
Be Well.

Reactions: Rich Maund

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Update. Had Autoglass Guru.com book the job. They hired a local glass guy. $348 complete. Had it done in an hour and a half. In spite of the cracks, he got the old glass out in one piece and even saved my state inspection sticker. The tech was very careful about removing the trims and replacing all the clips and fasteners. He said its safe to drive. But I'm opting to leave it alone til tomorrow just to be careful. This young man put the new glass into place with no crane or suction cups. He told me he had suction cups fail in the past losing the new windshield. He was the size of the abomidible snowman. Arms like an orangutan. I watched the glass go into place and I am confident there'll be no leaks. I could see the adhesive bead seal all around it as he set it down. He said he had never done a Promaster, but had done several Sprinters in his five years experience. He said the windshields were similar to work on. I'll give the guy 5 stars if they send me a survey. The new windshield is optically perfect as was the factory one. Has the same black masking around the outside edge as the factory one.

ETA: New shield was made in Mexico. I wondered if it would be Chinese or whatever. Since it was made in Mexico I have to wonder if it is sourced from the same company that makes them for Ram? I can't tell any difference in it from the factory one.

Reactions: baitbegger44##

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
GGGGGRRRRRRR! Just got a rock hit on my way to my temp job up in Vermont! Never saw the rock nor which vehicle it came from but heard it hit high on the passenger side about an inch from the glass edge. Two cracks began propagating down and to the left. I was happy with Safelight before so I guess I go with them again. My Progressive declining $500 deductible means I'm going to pay $250 not the $125 as it goes down AFTER a year not at the beginning. If it had been in July it would have been $125. I have a May inspection sticker to renew so I have to do it now. Oh well. I will say Safelight’s site is super easy to schedule, they deal with the insurance co instantly so you know what you will pay and they do remote or in-shop work. I chose to go to their shop this time as it is close. Last time they sent two trucks to my place as they wanted two techs here for such a large piece of glass. My total repair cost for this diesel van for 3 years and 50K miles has been $670 - for two windshields! Not the van’s fault.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I hit a pheasant on the KS/CO border going about 80mph bullseye of the driver view. Small glass shards all over. Drove to Ft Collins (carefully) and had it changed the next morning. On the road after lunch made it to the UT/ID border around 10PM and a truck kicked up a small rock the hit the edge and cracked a brand new windshield not even 12 hours old. Both inside 5,000 miles of being new. No issues up to 40k miles on #3 . I did have the inside tinted on the front windshield which has worked quite well. Did it for sun and also to help on the glass shards if it happens again. So far I'm out of pocket around $1k on windshields on the PM.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,529 Posts
Safelite replaced ours this morning. $288 with AAA discount. I’d say he was as careful as anyone could expect him to be.

The hardest part appeared to be removing that plastic cowling.

Interesting note: They hate Transits because there are 14!!! different windshields and even several different rear windows. The only way to know which one to use is to run the VIN by the dealer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts