Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fun continues... Driving out of death valley today, after about 20 minutes of driving, hit a steep grade.. van downshifted and I immediately smelled coolant, looked in the sideview mirror to see a puff of white smoke coming out of the back. I stopped and checked the coolant level, right at low.. maybe slightly lower than previously, but not a noticeable drop. I proceeded to drive the 100+ miles home up steep grades, etc with no temp problems, coolant smell, or white smoke.

I've never experienced any adventures in coolant leaks - I'm pretty sure I should hope this is an external leak that was burning on the exhaust rather than an internal leak that was coming out of the exhaust (head gasket??). If it is a head gasket, is there any particular reason it would only leak at certain times? Checked the driveway a few hours after I got home and nothing dripping, also looked throughout the engine bay and didn't see any coolant.

I'm going to keep a close eye on the coolant level and get it to the dealer at my next opportunity.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
No, head gaskets don’t stop leaking. IIRC you have a diesel and have been getting the P2872 code with no symptoms. I can't think of a connection between them. I would lean towards external coolant because you smelled it and internal would push it out the tailpipe and you probably would not. The pressure test the dealer does might be telling in this one. I hope it is positive (leak) and a simple fix. Best

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Drove a couple hundred miles today without any smell or white smoke.. hoping it could have been condensation in the exhaust that burnt off when I hit the grade. Not sure how to optimistically explain the smell :laugh:

·
Banned
413 Posts
Drove a couple hundred miles today without any smell or white smoke.. hoping it could have been condensation in the exhaust that burnt off when I hit the grade. Not sure how to optimistically explain the smell :laugh:

I'm smelling coolant more and more these days. Just got it back from the clutch overhaul, and am hoping that when they had everything disconnected for that job they just spilled a little that hasn't evaporated/burned off yet.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update

Update on this: It seems to be a non-issue. We have put about 8000 more miles on the van since having this issue and haven't experienced any coolant smell or white smoke. As a bonus, the coolant level in the reservoir has been completely steady. My confidence in our diesel is building.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts