Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other night, it was really cold here. We have an electric blanket in the van that we've used only when we're on shore power, but I thought, man, it'd be nice to take the chill out of the bed, so I'll turn it on for just a few minutes and run it off the solar system. Well, very shortly I smelled an electrical burning smell. Is there some reason that wouldn't work? I have the less fancy type of inverter (modified sine wave, I think). Are there other appliances I could destroy by trying to run them off the solar system?

·
Super Moderator
10,123 Posts
I don’t think it’s the solar. The solar only charges your batteries which your inverter then converts to 110 vac. Perhaps your inverter is malfunctioning? Resistance heat requires a lot of battery &inverter power to work well. I run my 700 w microwave off of my cheapy 2000 w HF inverter with no problem tho.

·
Registered
2016 136WB low roof diesel, converted to an RV by Sportsmobile, TX
408 Posts
Does the blanket have a knob to set the temperature, or a 4 way switch (off/low/med/hi)?

If the former, it could be the way those knobs work: as the voltage cycles from 0V to 170V (peak voltage on a sinusoidal 120VRMS source), at some voltage Vthres they turn on, and then they turn off when the voltage crosses back through zero. (some work by turning on some time T after zero crossing, where 0 < T < 8.3ms). The problem is that your inverter doesn't make a sine wave, it makes a three step wave - off, 150V, off, -150V, etc. The problem is that the knob style controller doesn't have a steadily increasing voltage to work with, so it will either be full off or full on. (the time based ones will sort of work, but they use a phase shift network that assumes a sine wave, and a square-ish wave will cause them to misbehave a bit).

If it is a 4 way switch, those usually work by having 2 sets of heating elements and switching on one, the other, or both. If that's the case then ignore the previous paragraph as it shouldn't matter.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
There are 12 volt blankets. Use the shore power to charge your batteries on the nights you have power and always use the 12 volt blanket. Avoiding that [email protected] inverter when you can is a better plan. The problem with them is they are singles. But I would rather not use one even if Ms. RD had hers on so it would work for me. The better choice might be a good double sleeping bag used as a comforter. Our Kelty is super warm and we have used it down to <20º with no heat and it is fine for that. Avoid electricity if you can?

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=12+volt+blanket[/ame]

Reactions: Julie Rehmeyer

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's interesting, Wowbagger. It is a knob-type. But wouldn't that result in it just not working, rather than it burning out?

·
Registered
2016 136WB low roof diesel, converted to an RV by Sportsmobile, TX
408 Posts
It depends on how the actual control is set up, but I could see it staying on basically all the time, and overloading the blanket.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, it's possible that the solar had nothing to do with it -- though both sides blew out in exactly the same way, when they'd been working fine before.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts