Ram Promaster Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Have a class B on order, was to be delivered March 2022....but RV manufacturer informed me the Mexico Promaster plant is closing for 10 weeks, Jan 2022 to early March for retooling, so delivery delayed. That could be part of reason new orders are closed?
If this were correct, it would suggest additional design revisions for 2023 model with early release in 2022, which seems unlikely to me following the announced 2022 upgrades. Other than a significant PM redesign/upgrade, the only other reason I can think of to stop manufacturing for 10 weeks would be a major plant expansion. Given the recent upgrade, this information seems questionable to me. However, if true, I would love to hear more because of possible design implications.

Plant could also be closing due to supply shortages, or lack of orders, but that seems even less likely to me.

·
Registered
2019 ProMaster 159HR
43 Posts
Retooling for the intro of the MY2023 electric ProMasters. Wanted to place an order for a 22 crew van but was educated by the dealer/life lol.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
If this were correct, it would suggest additional design revisions for 2023 model with early release in 2022, which seems unlikely to me following the announced 2022 upgrades. Other than a significant PM redesign/upgrade, the only other reason I can think of to stop manufacturing for 10 weeks would be a major plant expansion. Given the recent upgrade, this information seems questionable to me. However, if true, I would love to hear more because of possible design implications.

Plant could also be closing due to supply shortages, or lack of orders, but that seems even less likely to me.
Promaster/Saltillo Van Assembly will be seeing some downtime in Jan-Feb from what I hear. I was confused by this, because the info I saw said to "retool", but in the middle of a model year? Only thing I can think of is that I haven't seen a single PM built so far with the 10.1 inch nav/UConnect system, so I suspect there are some new parts they need to make changes for. (I have a 2022 on order, they say the parts are all ready, but it has a late Feb build estimate). I'm wondering if they have some work to do yet to fit some things to the vehicle.

Plus, the word was that 2022s started a few days late because of 2021s in the queue. I don't have any idea how that worked... 2021 was supposed to be done months ago. I'll see if I can dig up that doc and post it... was marked "Confidential" but I found it through Google so I think it's fair game.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You'll be getting in line at Ford, too. They may even be in worse shape.
Found a brand new 2021 Promaster 2500 HR 159" in transit to a dealer 25miles from me. I called them up expecting it to be already sold, it wasn't. Put $500 down and paperwork finishes this upcoming week and vehicle should be here in a few weeks they said!

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Footnote on Donlen report still states order cut off for 22 Model Year was 10/8/21.

3- Per Stellantis communication on 10/5/21: “Due to unprecedented demand, please note that effective this Friday (10/8/21) is the order cut off date for 22MY Ram VF Promaster”

Ford is scheduled to start 2023 Model Year Econoline manufacturing on Jan 18, 2022 (next month), so it is possible that Stellantis could revise 2023MY to start right after plant shutdown, assuming ProMaster plant will soon be down for 10 weeks. Who knows because Donlen makes no mention of 2023MY ProMaster like they do of Ford Econoline, and they normally show schedules months in advance.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
So I found a report from FCA Scheduling dated 11/26, the data for Saltillo Van are interesting. (I found it through Google, so it's out there if you do the right search).
I can send you the full PDF if anyone wants, just PM me.
Font Rectangle Newspaper Number Event

Downtime listed was interesting, lots of downtime listed in Feb/March for Saltillo Van (the assembly plant where NA Promasters are built), so the rumors of retooling then might be correct. It also shows 22 MY finishing week of 7/11/2022.

Edit: Looks like I found it through DuckDuckGo, with this search: 2022 "saltillo van" schedule at DuckDuckGo

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Thanks. I see 2023MY Job#1 scheduled 7/17/21, making 2022MY a shorter run than full year. Also shows plant down weeks of 1/10 through 2/14. It’s difficult to see what they are changing.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
My order supposedly has all the parts allocated and there, but not scheduled until late Feb. 2022. I was trying to figure out why. That downtime might explain it. I haven't seen any vehicles built with the 10.1 inch NAV/UConnect display yet (out of ~50 I've looked at), which makes me wonder if that's the holdup and there's some retooling still needed for some of the options. (All circumstantial guessing so far based on what I've seen).

·
Administrator
‘20 159 HT window van NH Seacoast
11,779 Posts
I think the 10.1" display is an option ($2000 or so depending on the package) and not standard.

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
4,073 Posts
I think the 10.1" display is an option ($2000 or so depending on the package) and not standard.
Thanks KOV 👍

I think I have a 10(ish) big screen in my 2018 1500 Ram (touch screen). I like it, but it is screwed up “under warranty” & will need to be replaced.

I have had many many “Rams” over the decades & find their “radios” kinda substandard & especially when I consider what I am paying for the “radio”. Even in Aviation, “Apple iPad “ has prevailed with specialized application software.

For my PM, I primarily want; the backup camera to work, my bluetooth phone to work, & my radio to work. We pretty much switch to our devices other than that.

I do not know the current status of Apple iPads with regards to built in GPS, however a few years back we would buy iPads that could take a SIM card as they had built in GPS. You can get aftermarket GPS to plug into your iPad like “Bad Elf” but if buying new the SIM card is the way to go & you can get hooked up to wireless data.

If it were me, I would spend that $2000 on an Apple & Data which I would find way more useful.

This is a screenshot from my aviation App called “Foreflight” - extreamly helpful for current cockpit weather and so much much more. We also use it for Van Travel. I also think of other apps like “Overlander” etc;
Ecoregion World Map Light Black

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I was considering attending the Tampa RV Super Show to see new vans, but now I’m questioning whether the 2022MY ProMaster will be at show at all.

·
Administrator
‘20 159 HT window van NH Seacoast
11,779 Posts
I’m not positive about the 10.1 just what I’ve read.
If you get an iPad with data they come with a real built in gps chip (at least my does)

·
Registered
100 Posts
If it were me, I would spend that $2000 on an Apple & Data which I would find way more useful.

This is a screenshot from my aviation App called “Foreflight” - extremely helpful for current cockpit weather and so much much more. We also use it for Van Travel.
[/QUOTE]

RV8R - Given a choice, I agree on spending my vehicle budget on external devices instead of upgrading to a fixed display which will likely be outdated before the vehicle dies. In addition to the Promaster, I drive a Prius Prime with a fancy-pants display/OS. What do I use for navigation and entertainment? My iPhone, every time.

O/T - I assume you fly an RV8? I completed my RV-9A build last year and use FlyQ. Decided against Foreflight because FlyQ is local, but I suspect it, like Fly Q, is an amazing product. Incredible the amount of data available. Really enjoying the airplane. I am based at Arlington, near Seattle. If you are ever headed down this way, either on the ground or in the air, let me know - Would be fun to see your project.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Hi everyone. I have some info that I posted on here in other posts that may be helpful. Orders are open again, we never ran out of available-for-sold-order allocation. And, we are not price gauging yet. Lol. Here's more info re production....

Okay, here's the skinny as I know it. We were originally told that 2022 ProMaster orders would only be open for only 4 months as they would be shutting down the plant to retool for 2023 electrified versions. Then, after a month, we were told they had already reached limits, and that only allocated units already in the system would be available. To top that off, sold orders always get preference. So, the only way to get a 2022 would be to take an allocated unit and turn it to a legitimate sold unit. But, happily, they announced and just turned on availability to order again. Production has started and we are seeing about 16 of our orders are either in production or have completed final inspection status and then shipped to storage. We believe it is because they are waiting on a few missing chips. All units which have reached at least D1 status have estimated shipping dates between 12/10/21 (that didn't happen) and 3/8/22. I have been told they are aiming to close the factory by April. So, 12 weeks is realistic. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
4,073 Posts

This is a screenshot from my aviation App called “Foreflight” - extremely helpful for current cockpit weather and so much much more. We also use it for Van Travel.

RV8R - Given a choice, I agree on spending my vehicle budget on external devices instead of upgrading to a fixed display which will likely be outdated before the vehicle dies. In addition to the Promaster, I drive a Prius Prime with a fancy-pants display/OS. What do I use for navigation and entertainment? My iPhone, every time.

O/T - I assume you fly an RV8? I completed my RV-9A build last year and use FlyQ. Decided against Foreflight because FlyQ is local, but I suspect it, like Fly Q, is an amazing product. Incredible the amount of data available. Really enjoying the airplane. I am based at Arlington, near Seattle. If you are ever headed down this way, either on the ground or in the air, let me know - Would be fun to see your project.
[/QUOTE]

Hi @Snoho3

Arlington eh? “Blackjack Squadron? Congratulations on your 9 👍

RV8R was for RV “Renovator” but I built & fly an RV7 (well my Wife has taken over the left seat on that one) & I fly an Experimental Super Cub (a project I took on that was particularly completed by others - took me 3.5 years to get into the air).

Assuming “Snoho” is for “Snohomish” then if you are out of Arlington? Foreflight is also “semi-local” well Seattle.

Dito, look me up if you ever come to Vancouver Island.

·
Registered
3 Posts
was the order in “accepted “ status ? , if not your in the same bucket as a few of us, entered in the system pending the factory acceptance.
I have an appointment to sign final build list and place deposit on Monday... they don't know anything about it being closed

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone. I have some info that I posted on here in other posts that may be helpful. Orders are open again, we never ran out of available-for-sold-order allocation. And, we are not price gauging yet. Lol. Here's more info re production....

Okay, here's the skinny as I know it. We were originally told that 2022 ProMaster orders would only be open for only 4 months as they would be shutting down the plant to retool for 2023 electrified versions. Then, after a month, we were told they had already reached limits, and that only allocated units already in the system would be available. To top that off, sold orders always get preference. So, the only way to get a 2022 would be to take an allocated unit and turn it to a legitimate sold unit. But, happily, they announced and just turned on availability to order again. Production has started and we are seeing about 16 of our orders are either in production or have completed final inspection status and then shipped to storage. We believe it is because they are waiting on a few missing chips. All units which have reached at least D1 status have estimated shipping dates between 12/10/21 (that didn't happen) and 3/8/22. I have been told they are aiming to close the factory by April. So, 12 weeks is realistic. I hope this helps.
So if by this Monday my order is in and deposit paid I could receive vehicle by 3/8/22?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well looking at and comparing screen shots from last night and today's ram build and price website... it appears they got rid of a few options.... the premium rv group is no longer available so it'll cost about the same but less bedazzled but I'm still signing the paperwork Monday.......

21 - 40 of 56 Posts